1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I'm cool with rangz but some NBA player tweeted "ringz" in response to a debate about who's best (can't remember who), so I think of that variation first.

"Most dominant" is a reasonable debate and I could even accept it for the Spurs given regular season and post season wins relative to the competition, etc.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

But longevity and consistency would need to fit in there.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Can you have a dynasty if another team had a dynasty (lakers) in the middle of it? I doubt it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

The only sport I can think of where a significant number of fans give a damn about the regular season would be European soccer, where there is actually a trophy involved that people care about. In any major American sport, if you give a fan base a choice between dominating the regular season and winning rings, they will take the rings. I may well be biased as a Celtics fan, but I hope we can all admit our biases here. Some of the stuff that 538 prints reminds me of the expression "garbage in garbage out." In other words, it's great that they've concocted a universe in which their point of view makes sense, but it's useless for most of us. 538's "logic" also told us that a Brazil team down Silva and Neymar was still a favorite against Germany in the last World Cup. For those who are not soccer fans and need a reminder, Germany won 7-1. A person who actually watched games rather than relying on some amorphous Elo Rating could have figured that out.

I'd also point out that every NFL fan outside of New England (and honestly, even there) cared more about the Patriots' 2008 Super Bowl loss than the first 16-0 regular season in history. So let's give this Elo rating stuff a rest and actually focus on what actually matters to sports fans. By 538's logic, the Bills would have been one of the major dynasties in the NFL (sure, they lost every Super Bowl, but they were AFC Champions four times in a row) and surely that's equal to being NFL Champions in a smaller league. Filed under "said no sports fan ever."

4 people like this.
  5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

3 in 5 years in modern day NBA is pretty sick. It would be pretty foolish of anyone to try to say the Spurs never had a dynasty.

2 people like this.
  6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

And can't clubs either get promoted to better leagues or demoted to worse leagues based on performance?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Can we pleeeeeease drop the American sports drivel and go back to bitter recriminations between thread regulars and affiliate vendors? That was much more fun.

3 people like this.
  9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Can we merge the two and argue, but use sports analogies?

2 people like this.
  10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I propose an online dust-up between Foo and SartodiNapoli over some shirts that were allegedly delivered 2cm too narrow.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

In other news, I seem to have dropped a size in shirts. I always used to take a 41cm. Lately I have been trying on 41s and finding them too big - everywhere, not just around the neck.

Admittedly I have lost a few kilos recently. But only a few. I dunno. It's weird. Am I turning into Pencilneck?

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

If the difference between your current size and your previous size becomes 2 cm. or more you should start a separate thread and complain about it.

It's a rule.

Cheers,

Ac ([​IMG])

1 person likes this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Okay.

14. archibaldleach

Yeah. Promotion / relegation also matters and solves the tanking problem.

15. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Relegation plus the national tournaments (FA Cup, DFB Pokal, etc) where any registered club, from beer-league to Premier League, can play and theoretically win, gives the structure of European soccer leagues a leg up on how most American sports are built. Case in point: I'm a Phillies fan. What the fuck am I supposed to do for baseball for the next three months years?

16. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

How is that?

17. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

Well, if I'm going to have suits made slowly to build my wardrobe, each suit will take some time (and I don't want to overlap orders, so I can continue to refine the fit with each suit), so I can't exactly wait to get into the environment to see what's acceptable. However, I could wait to get the pinstripe suit as one of the last ones (perhaps after I know where I'm going, but before I actually get there), and have the solids made first.

18. archibaldleach

That sounds wise. The solids are always going to be acceptable. Might as well do versatile staples first (not that pinstripes can't be either, just that they are less so than solids).

19. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member