1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Please let me do the grading, Young Padawan. I give him a high A- / low A

:slapfight:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Disagree on navy silk knits being seasonal or out of place with "country" sportcoats. Navy and black are easily my most worn colors, mostly with tweedy/brown sportcoats. Too many earth tones worn at once will have you looking like you dropped in from 1976.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I agree as far as my use of navy. I wear a ridiculous amount of blue blazers, so it doesn't get much wear. However, remembering L2B's wardrobe, I don't think a silk navy knit would get too much wear either. Wool might.
    It may just be a combination of me not seeing them much and they not working for my particular wardrobe (so when I wear my navy knit, it is often with linen jackets). I don't suppose you have any handy examples tucked away?

I'm not going to disagree with the proposition of folks deciding for themselves, but I don't think that considering how an item will age is a waste of mental effort. Certain looks will age more poorly than others. I'm not a giant fan of that suit, but in all likelihood, it'll look less out of place than something super trendy (2.5 inch lapels, 28 inch length, sternum level buttoning point).

[​IMG]
    From the same time, but the suit on the right, less trendy, will have aged better, narrow gorges aside.

I'm also not wholly relativist, and I think the shrunken jacket trend isn't aesthetically pleasing in terms of masculinity. Other period trends I probably more aesthetically defensible.

Tira and I talked about this quite a bit.

4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

Great! Now what are some decent alternatives? When is a "butcher" stripe worn for example? Are there places for such a thing in my wardrobe? What should I be looking to pickup given my current shirt situation?

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's TA? Like "Teacher Assitant"? [​IMG]

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I disagree. The collar is fine for CBD and would attract no undue attention. But I would give L2BR a score of 90/100 because the blue is too saturated.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Butcher is more casual. Not the best choice for the most formal CBD/UCBD, but fine for anything underneath.

Can even be worn with less formal suits

[​IMG]

8. Rudals

Rudals Distinguished Member

I feel like...this horse. Always feel like I get a beating in this thread.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Betelgeuse

It's a common problem, dear Noodeless, as Clags once pinted out one time we were speaking, it's harder to find trousers that fit than a jacket. [​IMG]

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

But the black knit would work just fine with your blue blazers... :nodding:

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Navy knit on navy works well too, a 'classic' Sean Connery bond look.

12. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior Member

I know NOTHING about checks or tattersalls. What should I be looking for? Can anyone give me a top 5 or top 3 of what I need to be looking for to add to my current shirt situation. I'm thinking that my "country" shirts particularly need some additions.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Preaching to the choir when it comes to black (my knit doesn't get won because it's too damn thin). At some point folks were arguing that black was never an optimum choice in any given outfit. Went through some of mine and felt that any other color would have been an inferior choice here (especially when looking at the full picture). Grenadine though, not knit.

[​IMG]

14. Betelgeuse

#2, 4, 5 and 6 are my favs, Clags. [​IMG]

15. YRR92

YRR92 Distinguished Member

I own a couple. You probably don't need more than two or three -- one should be just a multi-color graph check with a white ground in smooth cloth, but at least one should be a slightly brushed twill with an off-white ground and a multi-color plaid.

This is the ideal of the first type (I say that because I own it):

http://www.jpressonline.com/tattersall-button-down-navy-red-white/

and this is a nice example of the second:

http://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/shirts/leaf-wine-small-tattersall-shirt.html

... but I'd suggest going for OCBDs first, since they cover a bit more ground.