Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Bahaha, you just needed a little more context. There are several "project" people in this thread currently. Currently they are Rudals, jungleroller, and myself. Read the first 2 pages and you can see that Rudals was given homework to select ties by several people. I have yet to be given such homework as I am a more recent "project". Given your incredibly high post count, I thought that you were trying to challenge me to think about what sort of ties would work best for my wardrobe. I was genuinely excited to work through the problem.

If somebody else would like to grade me, I'd appreciate it. Clags?

Edit: Beat to it by about 10 others . . .

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Who's that fine looking young gentleman in your last picture? He look so sharp, he could cut you.

Jokes aside, I like #2, 4, and 5.
    What's up with the textures of the ties you picked out?
    #5, speaking from experience, is a very versatile tie (although not for winter) but I don't know if it is still in stock.

3. luv2breformed

I currently wear 15.5/34 Extra Slim Fits from Brooks Brothers. After they are washed the sleeves are actually a tad short for my taste, thinking of going to 15.5/35. Also, they are actually a tad baggy for my preference as well.

Given that info, do you think that I might actually be a decent candidate for Kamakura, MF? I struggle to find anything in their Tokyo Slim Fit that fits my measurements. Also, I will check out Luxire. Thanks!

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

stevent and L2BR, allow me to quote myself:

As for shantung, I don't think it has any place in a five-tie wardrobe.

5. luv2breformed

I think texture is more appropriate given how far from CBD I am. Tweed and Flannels are more consistent for me, and I think textured ties play into that. Also, summer will likely consist of mostly chinos and cotton/linen jackets.

The grenadine and neat can cover for me when I need to do CBD. Otherwise I've textured ties for the tweed. Shantung standard rep can work with nearly ALL of my summer fits ideally.

At least these were my thoughts.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

If you're odd-jackety, L2BR, then maybe some repp stripes in non-memorable colorways.

7. luv2breformed

Which one of those goes with chinos and a cotton navy jacket? I was just trying to keep my particular needs in mind. I only do suit 2 times a week at best.

I suppose this point is moot given the fact that I obviously have no problem owning 100+ ties.

8. luv2breformed

Gotcha. Thanks.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks guys, didn't mean to take it the wrong way, just what SF has conditioned me I guess. Sorry about that. Will look at first few pages more carefully. Like mentioned earlier, I have about 20 ties now, a few J. Crew when I started out, some Drake's and Black Fleece ones now mostly. Ties I have are just patterns I liked I just never really bought any staples as when I was in college I didn't really follow MC side of things and then job wise I was doing a much less formal job that I originally expected to do. I ended up selling most of my MC stuff but now am looking to get back into a job that I originally got my degree for. My posts are mainly for SW&D and shoe threads so I'm still a relative noob in MC stuff.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Well, if the tokyo slim measurements don't work you can look at the new york slim fit. The 15.5 has 35.5" sleeves, but they hardly shrink in the laundry. I moved the buttons on my sleeve, and it works, but it's still annoying.

11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I think we have similar dimensions. I wear 15.5 and who knows how long my arms are. I've never tried BB's x-slim but I was searching for a good fitting shirt for a while because a lot of shirts were bunching up near the waist.

I found these and I love them. I have 4 of these. But...maybe it is too expensive...but...you seem to have a deep pocket.
    http://store.zegna.com/us/men/formal-shirt_cod38323645wm.html
    [​IMG]

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

That would be great if you do.

Timos collar height is 1.5 inches I think whereas I need 1.75 inches in back (I think he answered that for me in the luxire thread...but I might be hallucinating!)

Kamakuras are 1.75 I believe so gives adequate collar height when wearing a jacket. Unfortunately the google docs doesn't give those measurements for the current spare of BD collars. Keep me informed on your shirt!

13. luv2breformed

Thanks for the Kamakura/Luxire info, guys. I was also wondering a bit more of what I in particular should be looking for in shirt pattern, colors, fabric etc. What holes can you see in my current shirt breakdown?

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member