1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Don't slowly find it, the answer, as you know dear heart has been posted many times.

My personal favourite answer...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

As always, it depends on the rest of your wardrobe. Are you mostly suits, mostly odd jackets/trousers, fifty/fifty? Always wear a tie? Never wear a tie? Etc., etc.

Cheers,

Ac

3. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

I'll build out the suits before I turn to odd jackets and trousers, so it'd probably make sense to build out the suit-shoe wardrobe before the odd-jacket-trousers-shoe wardrobe. Pretty much would always wear a tie in that case.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

For a student: suede chukkas and loafers. Cordovan or pebble grain longwings or brogue boots for wintertime.

5. semperexcelsius

Not so much as a student though, I won't wear bespoke shoes around too much for the same reason I won't wear the Kabbaz shirts. Mostly for what I could wear after school.

6. kulata

kulata Senior member

I am hunting for a mid-brown suede single monk shoes. Suede shoes are just too versatile

7. TM79

TM79 Senior member

How far from completion and entry into the workforce or whatever lies next?

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You know there's such a thing as RTW as well, right? Lots of great RTW chukkas and loafers for when you're a student. Also great for free time in the real world.

Anyways, can't really give you any advice on what to wear if I don't know what you're going to do after school. Are you going to be an international playboy? A beginning writer who spends his days 'writing' inside a starbucks? A 'struggling' artist? A financier or lawyer? A consultant? An academic?

Every position in society has its own dress code. There will also be a difference between leisure and work wear.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Caustic Man

Just succumb.

10. semperexcelsius

Still a few years—I want to spread everything out and try to do it "right" (whatever that means for me)

Oh yeah, I was just talking bespoke-wise. I have some RTW chukkas, loafers, beat-around derbies, etc. for school.

Probably finance or law

[​IMG] @ the "'struggling' artist"

11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I was thinking about something recently. It was sparked by this whole "Go Set A Watchman" debate. Harper Lee was talking about how her father used to be an ardent segregationist and then changed his views late in life. Then I started thinking about how Obama "evolved" his opinion on gay marriage recently. I then started thinking about myself. When I was younger I used to be pretty hardcore against drugs. Now I take more of a libertarian stance and favor the legalization of marijuana. The question I began to ask is, is it a coincidence that some people change their opinions just at the moment when public opinion begins to turn? Do we ever really evolve our opinions, or do we just try to keep up with the popular beliefs of the time we exist in? Could it be an evolutionary survival trait that we tend to change our opinions to fit the changes in public opinion at large? In other words, do you folks really believe that brown suede is the most versatile shoe, or do you simply think you believe it because everyone else is starting to? Is it like a snowball effect? To put it succinctly, no I will not succumb.

1 person likes this.
  12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Of course they can evolve. But people often need something - a personal experience, or something else close to them - to see something from a different point of view. (which is often when those around you change their opinons)

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Ok, if it's finance or law I'd advise against wearing bespoke anything, or the nicer RTW brands, unless your family/family friends own the firm. There is a very strong culture in both those fields (at the bigger firms at least) that you have to earn it, regardless of whether you can afford it. Only when you reach a certain rank are you allowed to wear a certain brand or go bespoke. It sounds ridiculous, and it is, but see it as a sort of rite of passage. It's just not done to dress significantly better than the people above you. It's kinda the same as turning up in a car that's more expensive than the higher ups drive.

People will find out, sooner or later, where your clothes come from/how much you're spending on them. When they do, it'll set you back professionally. They might even send you home to go and change. If they don't, they'll talk behind your back, and you don't want that either.

1 person likes this.
  14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

IB lyfe

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

People have been known to turn an analyst's tie around to see where it comes from, or look inside his jacket to see the label. No label = bespoke, which is even worse than wearing some well known brand.

16. semperexcelsius

How would they find out if you don't advertise it? I wouldn't flash anything.

I got the feeling finance/law was more with the visible things for rites of passage... Gucci/Ferragamo loafers, cufflinks and suspenders, etc. Wearing a well-cut suit is expected, isn't it?

17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Nope, that's part of it. An analyst that turns up in acceptable but kinda shabby clothes is seen as hungry. Someone who really wants to make it. If you want to work at the big firms you'll need an internship, as family connections won't help you much due to compliance reasons. Being a well dressed intern will hurt your chances.

Also, be prepared for people asking you why the hell you're in finance/law if you have lots of money already. Make sure you have a damn good reason, because the question will come up.

18. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Senior member

I have had folks come up to me and turn my tie around, look at my shirt collar, look at the inside of my jacket, all saying "that's nice, where'd you get that?" But they were seeing the brand and the estimating the cost. At this point in my career I don't care.

1 person likes this.
  19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, if you're high enough or bring in lots of revenue you can do whatever you want. Until then, office politics are extremely important.

20. semperexcelsius

Well, thanks for the info. If I need to get a couple shabby-ish suits for the summer I will. Or maybe I'll just have everything made without tags.