1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Starbucks is the Jos. A Bank of coffee shops.

4 people like this.
  2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

3. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

Should we really care, though? [​IMG]

4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Coffee: pour-over using a Melitta filter and ceramic cone. I prefer east African beans with deep, earthy flavors. I'm not a huge fan of the current light, sweet flavor profile, though I'll drink it if well done. /semipretentiouscoffeetalk

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

If they offered three coffees for the price of one, I would go there every day.

5 people like this.
  6. unbelragazzo

That's up to you

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I took a coffee class a few months ago. The pour over definitely produces a better cup of joe than the French press, but it is not sufficiently superior for me to spend that much time in the morning making it. I'm a double Nespresso guy. :slayer:

8. unbelragazzo

Could have those loyalty cards except give you 30 stamps every time you buy a coffee

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

+1.
    You can find better coffffffee at 7-11, McDonald's, and Dunkin' Donuts!

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Put This On had a post on this topic today with a number of recommendations and ideas : http://putthison.com

11. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Senior member

Thank you! Very interesting. Too late though, I ordered the Brown with Blue and Cream Striped Shantung from you. [​IMG]

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm starting to see a composite of the regulars on this thread and forum. We are a group of coffee snobs that are serious about our cycling/physical fitness regimens in addition to our obsession over the minute details of exceptional clothing and shoes. And, I suspect that if the topic is ever raised, we'll discover we are also very serious about our wine. Am I missing anything?

1 person likes this.
  13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

There are some great wine/food threads in the other forum. Totally different people, but great info.

If you're interested, I can link some

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

We all have different priorities. I will go out of my way or spend less time on something else to get a better cup of coffee.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I need to stop sipping on diet soft drinks. Ugh...

16. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Here’s a question for the Noodlescenti.

The question of price comes up from time to time here, with members expressing different limits on what they’d pay for a particular item of clothing (e.g., and most recently, shirts).

So what’s the most you’d pay for a dress belt? We all need a black one and a brown one, so it doesn’t get much more ‘staple’ than that.

Cheers,

Ac

17. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

I recently realized that my dress belt is reversible... I guess that's two more items I ought to add to my list [​IMG]

...and for a regular Joe like myself, $80 for an AE belt seems indulgent enough.

1 person likes this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Because I like being thorough:

Jacket: 1500 (but would prefer to keep it between 500 and 1000)
    Trousers: 250 (but would prefer to keep it between 150-200)
    Shirt: 80
    Square: 80
    Tie: 99
    Shoes: 400 (though if something really, really grabs my fancy, I can see spending 500. I've spent 500+ on shoes three times, but each time I've felt I should have just gotten a cheaper shoe and a few more ties. Still feel that way about those particular shoes)
    Socks: However much goldtoes cost
    Belt: 50 (though I'd probably look to get a slightly more expensive one on sale)
    Watch: Nada (as much as I love my three museum Movados--black, brown, and metal--I never ever wear them. They just sit there looking all pretty and simple)

4 people like this.
  19. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Both of my "dress" belts are from Kamakura. My black one was $80. I really like the small, simple buckle on it. My other belt I use for both burgundy and brown shoes, and it's made of Japanese Cordovan and it is similar to Horween's #8 color. IIRC, it was about 120$. Probably more than needs to be spent on belts, but if you think about it, they are the items that get the most repeat wears.

The belt I wear with jeans is from Narragansett Leathers, and that was about $45. It's pretty awesome.

1 person likes this.
  20. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I like this game.

Suit: $1,000 - though I know I may have to go higher next time for better fabric or details, this is what I've paid at my tailor to date - not including further tailoring later on for weight loss, changes, etc. - so probably more like $1,250
    Jacket: $800 - I've never spent more than $350 for a RTW jacket on sale, and I've never had one made though I plan to... and hope not to spend more than $800
    Trousers: $280 - the price I pay for custom-made at my tailor
    Shirt: $100 - the price I pay for MTM at my tailor
    Square: $40 - I have a really hard time spending money on squares, though the ones I have that cost - or started out costing - a higher amount are definitely my favorites
    Tie: $80 - I mostly buy from eBay or on sale and rarely feel comfortable above $60 really
    Shoes: $400 - just hit $350 and now suddenly $175 seems "cheap" when my dad never spent more than $100 in his life and that was a "splurge" by his standards
    Socks: $20 - although mine are almost all from Uniqlo at like $5 per pair
    Belt: $50
    Watch: $600 - though I don't have one and won't buy one until other clothing staples are taken care of, which may be never

1 person likes this.