1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

MF, didn't you say that the last time you went into SS to talk about MTM for a friend, they had lots more options (for example, three roll two?). Can Rudals work of the Lazio as a starting fit (I couldn't when I tried, had to be the Roma with a higher button stance...I pushed them down and it still ended up too high for my tastes...must be firmer next time).

2. Rudals

Rudals Distinguished Member

Since I can't even afford to buy at H&M, I'll just wait for this to be restocked at NMWA and take it to a tailor and have at it. Stitchie is holding a gun to my head and is making me type this.
    [​IMG]

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

This. I think that is H&M looks good on you, Noodles, you should go fot it. I highly doubt it because of the construction but who really know when you're walking the streets of DC that you're wearing Zegna? Especially when you are not wearing a FU jacket or suit that everybody knows is Zegna. If you don't want SuitSupply is fine, I would recommend Spoo's LuxeSwap thread. He aways have a bunch of things in 38.

I have bought most of my stuff from him. This two SC's were $125 and $271, the first one is Ermenegildo Zegna and the second Isaia. Aside from SF and maybe tumblr no one else know they are preowed but I think I look good with them and that's what matters. [​IMG]

Ermenegildo Zegna

[​IMG]

Isaia

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Yep, you can pick 3 roll 2, the wide lapel and tell them to lower the button by an inch or so, depending on your preferences. Side tabs, pleats, cuffs etc are all possible. Natural shoulders or roped, and they'll be able to do shirt shoulders soon as well. You can a DB vest for like £100 extra if you want a fun suit.

5. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

Got my Holiday & Brown Tie in that Jrd suggested, wow this thing is really nice in person, it's 4" wide which even on my stature (6'2") is stretching it but the colors are gorgeous in person.

[​IMG]

Picked up another Holiday Brown tie too. I didn't seek prior council approval because I got it for $9.99. I like it and I think I can work it into some looks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like those HY pebble grain shoes and might pick some up for myself at some point. I think I need to situate a staple navy blazer first. Still working on that...

6. Rudals

Wow! 4"?!
    Then again, if you're 6'2" I don't know if that really will look BIG on you. What size jacket do you wear, old sport?

7. TweedyProf

Rudals: you should go check SS out, really. Hell, if you buy stitchy a really nice lunch, maybe he'll go with you (he lives in the area, right?).

8. jungleroller

jungleroller Distinguished Member

42L usually.

Re: Suit Supply. I went up to a 44L to get proper pant sizing (they pair the pants with the jacket and don't let you switch around) I'm glad I did because with the larger jacket for them fits me like a regular 42L would have. So keep in mind you can size up so the fit isn't spandex on you.

9. Monkeyface

If he buys me a plane ticket to Washington I'll go along to all the tailors in the area haha

10. Rudals

Check Payable to: Monkey Face
    Amount: $2,500
    Date: 02/10/2014

I wish.

11. Monkeyface

Hahaha, I'm sure you can get a ticket for under $1000. Anyway, stop by the suitsupply tailor and take a look at their finished suits. They'll be glad to show you what they've done for other clients. I found some seriously impressive fully canvassed 3 piece suits for about $1000. The sales associate showed me his own MTM suits as well, and they fit very well.

12. TweedyProf

Rudals: do it this weekend or sometime on an evening weekday. You should be able to get something in 6 weeks. Set up an appointment, have them snap pics (let us know when) and we will weigh in on-line. Could be fun, different. At the very least, you'll try out different things and keep developing that eye.

13. Rudals

If 100 people are telling you to go to SS, then there's probably a good reason for it. So I'll go!
    End of discussion.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

This doesn't look like the typical conservative suit from 10 years ago. Definitely doesn't look like a conservative suit from 20 years ago. But would you want it to? It's a lot harder to escape the ebbs and flows of fashion than SF would have you believe.

This "timeless" stuff is tricky business, which is why I argue that guys should decide for themselves what they like.

15. Rudals

@DocHolliday
    That is exactly what I said to myself this morning. There is the SF compliant but it really comes down to what I want. I get that SF has people with great deal of knowledge and know what they're talking about. I respect all that and I have taken a leap of faith before in taking them at their words and going for the neats even though I thut they looked like [email protected] I've digressed, but I know what is or are SF compliant but I think when it comes to suits, I might have to just go with trendy stuff. I am still undecided and will probably be unable to buy a suit for about 3 months.