1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

I'm not sure if I want to be one of those guys with 200 ties... although with Hober I may get there soon enough

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I was once like you.

And now, now look at me... oh the shame

[​IMG]

After 100 ties, I had a crisis and underwent a sex change operation.

1 person likes this.
  4. semperexcelsius

Don't get me wrong, I want to be able to get through a month or two without having to wear the same tie. But even if you have enough ties to last a year, do you really wear all of them?

5. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

At the same time? No.
    It's like having books. Different moods, different occasions, different seasonal utility.

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I have no desire to own even 100 ties. 50 is about my limit.

1 person likes this.
  7. semperexcelsius

How many ties do you think a noob like me would need to reasonable satisfy the requirements of occasion and season?

By the way, I'm not trying to be judge-y; we all have our strange quirks and obsessions. Just trying to get a feel for how to go about building a tie collection.

8. semperexcelsius

Also, while we're on the subject of grenadines, are there any colors you guys think are better in the piccola? I know I'll be ordering the charcoal gray/silver fina soon, and I figure I might as well try a piccola, too. I'm missing a forrest green or bitter chocolate in my wardrobe, but I'm also open to other colors.

9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I don't have 200 ties, maybe 100.
    How about 24? 12 for spring summer 12 for fall winter.

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Out of curiosity, what will you be wearing the silver one with?

Cheers,

Ac

11. semperexcelsius

I've seen some killer looks with that tie, a navy suit, and a white shirt (nothing too fancy but I usually need to be pretty CBD). That's an outfit I'll wear often enough to warrant having the tie just for that combination, but if you have any ideas for other combinations (not necessarily CBD, could be worn on the weekend), let me know!

1 person likes this.
  12. semperexcelsius

I could probably handle 24... pardon the naiveté, but what season would a grenadine typically fit in, or one of Hober's diamond weaves (I have two of those)... I never really learned which ties fit in with the seasons. I just know knit ties in the winter and maybe some twill or linen in the summer.

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

14. semperexcelsius

My feeling (and I can't picture it exactly in my head), is that something would look off with the charcoal suit—not necessarily because they're both gray but because they're such different shades of it. I think if I was going to go for a gray suit with that tie, I'd do a mid-grey to try to get closer to the shade, Cary Grant style in NxNW.

Also, how did you get to do a nested quote? It always cuts off the original quote when I quote a subsequent post.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I think you could do a charcoal chalk stripe with the tie... the lighter stripes might bridge the gap a bit. Probably a bit flashy for the office, though.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If done very intelligently, I bet it is possible to create a good tie rotation with 15

I like 24 though. I'd say 8 s/s, 8 f/w, and 8 all season

1 person likes this.
  16. semperexcelsius

Thanks for the advice. Is there some threak you know of where I can learn more about seasonal ties specifically? That's one of my several weak sartorial areas.

17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Navy knit. Black knit. Done.
    Possibly a brown one if you want to be extravagant.

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'd say wool or cashmere ties fit into fall / winter, linen and cotton into spring / summer and most standard silks work in all seasons, though I like brighter ties a bit more in the spring and summer.

19. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I don’t know exactly how many ties I own, but it runs into three figures. How many of these do I wear with any regularity? Maybe 25.

I expect this is typical.

My current and future ties purchases are quite specifically targeted. Most generally, I’m pretty much only buying ties where the length is right for me. That means shorter than average (ca. 56”).

Cheers,

Ac

20. semperexcelsius

Are you talking about just winter? And maybe it changes with a knit tie for winter, but I thought it was best to generally avoid black ties for use with suits.