1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Reminds me of Scary Movie - "How you gonna turn up missing"

1 person likes this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Step away for a couple of days...

NOODLES! QUILT PICNICKING!

3 people like this.
  3. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

Clothing Question: I've got 5 Solid ties in my Hober Shopping Cart (Midnight Blue, Navy Blue, Forest Green, Burgundy, and Bitter Chocolate) 4 Reppe Silk and one Oxford weave as I'd like a bitter chocolate and that color is not available in Reppe. Before I purchase I'll throw it out there to see if there is some universally preferred weave (faille,daimond,etc?) to reppe silk. I know that Grenadines are popular on SF but I'm not 'there' yet.

Thanks as always,
    -Bill

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

What do you mean with not being 'there' yet for grenadines?

5. Bill Dlwgosh

Grens just aren't what I have in mind as staples I guess. In my mind they're something I'd explore, maybe, once I've crossed said staples off the list.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Staple ties are a funny thing... In that I would not necessarily lump solid twill ties in with staples. If anything, those are kind of niche.

I think a conservative pattern is more stable than a solid twill.

1 person likes this.
  7. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I guess grenadines are considered to be staples by many on SF because they provide the textural interest that plain repp silks lack. Less universal, more a personal preference: have you considered knits?

8. Bill Dlwgosh

You're referring to the Grenadine's as Niche? And I hadn't considered knits, no. Really I just had in mind some good ol' quality silk ties to complete the few outfits I could cobble together out of my currently very modest , SC vs. Suit centered, wardrobe.

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I am guessing 100% silk is what you are considering as staples? I have to disagree that grenedines cannot be staples. In fact, 70% of my ties are grenedines. I love the texture and weave. You may want to rethink on grenedines. Sam Hober is best at grenedines (my opinion) and not so impressive on others. See Vanda ties. They offer much better designs but they are light ties.

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Well, I don't necessarily agree.

I do think that, if someone is dissatisfied with a product, they should attempt to settle things privately first. In other words, they should give the vendor a chance to make things good, if the issue is actually the fault of the vendor.

As we all know, of course, mud tends to stick and stuff lingers on the internet for years, so as I said, before airing any dirty laundry, the vendor should be given a chance to respond and make things good.

However, if the vendor fails to make things good, then I think that it can be worthwhile airing the dirty laundry, for want of a better term, so as to let other SF members know of their negative experience.

2 people like this.
  11. Bill Dlwgosh

I'm not saying they can't be staples, I'm just saying I'd prefer some good ol' solid silk ties, hopefully some with a bit of heft to them (they are harder to find in Toronto than I'd have expected).

*Never mind that grenadine ties are apparently made from silk

1 person likes this.
  12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

In my experience, good solid silks are some of the hardest to find. It's very easy for them to look gaudy and cheap.

1 person likes this.
  13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I'm not happy with a product, but the error is within reason, this is what I do: I just don't recommend it when people ask for recommendations.

Not saying this path works for everyone. But it's the one I prefer to take.

---

grenadine is more of a staple than twill because it's more versatile. The texture allows it to be dressed down a bit better, I think.

14. Bill Dlwgosh

Sorry, hopefully I can ask what does 'twill' refer to here exactly?

15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

The weave of the silk – anything with diagonal element is a twill, and I think Claghorn is referring to the repps you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure grenadines get mentioned as a staple tie more often than anything else, so the only reason to avoid them is not liking them – no issue of readiness, IMHO.

I only own one, but I basically just thrift ties I like for peanuts, and so I end up having two or three ties that cover the same ground as a given "staple."

1 person likes this.
  16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Grenadines are great, but only in StyFo World are they a staple.

The Hober solid reppe ties that I've seen are really nice. Not shiny, tightly woven, with a dryish hand. In terms of staples, I would absolutely rank them above a grenadine. I think the mix of colors you've chosen should stand you in good stead. I might wait for the chocolate to come back in stock in the reppe, though.

3 people like this.
  17. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

@Bill Dlwgosh I agree with SB that the Hober reppe's are very nice, but I would only consider the navy a staple. The only other i'd consider in reppe is the burgundy, but even then my preference would be for grenadine.

IMO solid forest green, brown look much better with some texture. If you go with the grenadine fina or piccolo, the weave is very subtle but adds enough surface interest to the earth tone colors that I think make them look best.

In summary, if you are not totally comfortable with grenadine yet, I'd suggest you start with the navy reppe and then a brown/green/burgundy fina weave grenadine. I think you'll be surprised at how "normal" grenadines look

Also skip Loding, and stay with Hober. Just tell David when you order the ties that you like a substantial feeling tie and he can adjust the interlining to your preference. Another reason not to order 5 at a time is that you can take the process to get the ties to your satisfaction. They are bespoke after all.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior member

I just wanted to pop in and reiterate how much of a gentleman David is. Always super helpful about answering even your strangest/dumbest questions.

I agree with not ordering 5 at a time, but I will suggest ordering at least 2 at a time because there's no extra shipping for DHL to ship a second tie—and you definitely need DHL (like 3 week shipping for $18 or DHL 3-day for $21). Doesn't matter too much, but just a thought.

19. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

For the benefit of those who in the future might stumble upon this discussion …

While I think that the notion of a set of ‘staple’ ties is a useful starting point for discussion, before making purchasing individual purchasing decisions I think the wardrobe in question needs to be considered. If charged with recommending a collection of ten ties for someone, it would matter whether that person wore, for example, exclusively solid suits or exclusively patterned jackets, would it not?

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  20. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Solutions: buy lots of everything in all genres.

2 people like this.