1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Steed is British style for sure but I'd wait a bit before going down that route. You've shown photos in quite a few different RTW brands at various price points that all looked fine on you.

Quote:Noodles Highlighted the important parts of what you just said. Different doesn't imply wrong and your Formosas weren't the wrong choice by any means. This isn't even about "Nobody gets from point A to Z without some stops along the way," Formosa is Z for a lot of us, including myself. You are just used to seeing yourself in one (very very nice) style which you're happy with because it corrected a mistake you made with your first suit purchases from NM and now you saw yourself in a very different cut of suit.

Also from then to now some of your priorities have changed, you've worked out more, etc. You don't need to replace Formosa with TF or Steed, somehow - inexplicably - climbing up the price tree before nailing down what precisely you're looking for! And you can have more than one style of jacket in your closet, you know that, right?

1 person likes this.
  2. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

Roped my in from lurking @Claghorn . Aldrige would be crazy to pick Los Angeles over San Antonio. The very fact that LA mismanaged their first meeting with him and had to ask for a mulligan should be enough to dissuade him.

3. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

@Claghorn He'll choose San Antonio or Phoenix (who managed to jump into the discussion in a serious way) but to be honest I'm not sold on his game. Good midrange shooter, but once Timmy retires I don't see him being a cornerstone because of his game. He won't be because Kawhi will be destroying worlds but LMA also doesn't like to second banana, we saw that Portland. He'll put up w/ it now because Tim Duncan and Tony Parker are hall of famers. NBA talk always pulls me out of lurk mode, I'm a huge basketball nerd.

4. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Those are all just padded, which is not synonymous with a strong shoulder expression. Following are in order from most padded to least (BB, TF, Isaia), but the last has the strongest expression I'd say. Sorry for the super shitty pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

BB has definitely started to do some roping, and samulhson (however it's spelled) has some very roped, extended, padded shoulders options. Even SuSu has some strong shoulder cuts.

I get your point though.

6. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

Samuelsohn.

...here to help :)

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think this is only an issue if Pop retires when Duncan retires. You can't really talk about Popovich without talking about Duncan. Popovich is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Well ahead of Jackson. But he couldn't have become Pop, in terms of his identity as a coach, without Duncan. But going forward, he can remain Popovich without him. If LMA comes to San Antonio, I suspect Popovich will stay on after Duncan retires into a cushy staff job with the Spurs. And there is no living coach, except maybe Coach K, with enough clout and the right kind of personality to make player egos irrelevant like Popovich can.

----

+1 on J Crew love. I also like some of BB's casual stuff.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. GuP

GuP Senior member

I think I have the same polo in navy :hide:

What is acceptable weekend/casual wear for us "young" folk?

@The Noodles

My fiance is also a fan of J Crew and is always nudging me to dress like their models

1 person likes this.
  9. GuP

GuP Senior member

For education purposes, can you explain what else makes for a strong shoulder if not padding?

10. GuP

GuP Senior member

On another note, I drove over to NYC and knocked on NMWA door - address found online. Plan was to try on VASS and some other stuff. Met a young fella and he said it was a warehouse only :brick:

1 person likes this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Noodles... Tom ford is great. But it's all 5k, so not sure why it's being compared to Formosa. It is also British, and Formosa js Italian, the styling is totally different. Obviously they'll look different. Doesn't mean better.

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think he was trying on TF to see if he'd like to start purchasing TF instead of Formosas. It was mostly to see if a more British cut suited his body type a bit better than a Neapolitan one (which is not to say that a more Neapolitan cut looks bad on him)

1 person likes this.
  13. venividivicibj

Well British does favor certain body types. I think of it like that, and also I think Italian is much more relaxed, comfortable, British is normally more structured, military/business

14. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You're certainly better off getting full bespoke by a talented tailor than buying a machine made rebranded Zegna suit for $5k. Just tell the tailor to give a bit more shoulder extension, a slightly longer coat and NOT shape the waist too much.

3 people like this.
  15. kulata

kulata Senior member

Jacket length is also important to avoid the pear look. Longer jackets with skirt that isn't flaring

3 people like this.
  16. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

You know what would be the absolute easiest and least expensive fix for your perceived problems? Diet and exercise

2 people like this.
  17. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I think people are misunderstanding my action from today.
    I am not interested in Tom Ford suits.
    I am interested in different styles.
    Formosa is different, and is NOT wrong for me.
    I was surprised to see that the Tom Ford suit fit me well, at least it looked good to my eyes.
    This is just another chapter of my sartorial life.
    Try different styles.

18. venividivicibj

And nothing is wrong with that.

1 person likes this.
  19. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Dear Noodles,
    YOU ARE AN IDIOT!
    The Fomosa.
    [​IMG]
    The Tom Ford.
    [​IMG]

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Freaking angles... The fresco looks great with that photo angle.

Separately, the shape of the fronts and quarters on that TF (won't even mention the lapels) is what my tailor would call "e brutto!"

2 people like this.