1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Mid grey.

1 person likes this.
  2. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you for the kind words. Personally, I like flat fronts just as much as pleated trousers. Flat fronts can look super clean in some outfits.

3. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

This. Then light grey, tan & mid brown (IMHO).

3 people like this.
  4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Yoox's don't have as much hand work and the collar points are a bit shorter, at least IME.

Grey v-neck undershirts, because I find it more comfortable. If I'm warm that's not the cause.

Don't remove pleats from trousers. No matter how good the tailor it's unlikely to turn out great because the trousers were cut to have them.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Diehard Samsung fan. It was a performance. I even went to Samsung.com on an iPad and left.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Noodles

In general, do suits make you look old? Or is the more appropriate description mature? My wife is 8 years younger than me at 26 and she says my suits make me at least 5 years older whereas the casual wear does vice versa.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

So your wife prefers you in bootcut jeans, sneakers and a polo? If so, it's up to you whether you want to start dressing more for her in your free time, as you have to wear suits for work anyways. Maybe you can find a happy medium?

Instead of light wash bootcut jeans you wear some nice darker indigo selvedge jeans or chinos, and instead of sneakers you wear chukkas or loafers or longwings, and instead of polo shirts you wear OCBDs or some nicer, higher quality polos or popovers?

FWIW, I don't think wearing a nice blazer or sportcoat in your free time makes you look old. It's quite a common look from 20 onwards.

4 people like this.
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dat SoKo lyfe, yo!

Noodles, it is undeniable that a traditional suit will impart the grown-ass man vibe. Your wife is married to a 34 y.o. man who wears suits. She's gotta come to terms with that. You can improve your casual dressing, though, dressing like a grown-up, yes, but a stylish grown-up.

4 people like this.
  9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe PM CottonDockers and have a heart-to-heart. I think you could go in that direction and look more youthful without falling into the trap of mutton-dressed-as-lamb.

3 people like this.
  10. The Noodles

No, she's been doing a makeover. The bootcut jeans are not her work.

I have expressed strong rejections at her suggestions for casual wear. But she recommends stuff from jcrew. I asked why don't I wear a nice patterned pale blue dress shirt roll up the sleeves and wear with a grey trousers? She said that would still make me look old. So I am putting on t-shirts and polo shorts. Sigh

11. DapperE

DapperE Senior member

Hey Noodlers, I have a question regarding lapel pins, with a long pin back. Is it a matter of preference to have the lapel pin terminate above the lapel or even make a short and brief appearance on the top of the lapel? I see this from time-to-time and it makes me wonder if I am wearing mine properly.

Personally I always hide the pin on the back side of the lapel. However I'd like to get the what the vibe is amongst some of the best dressed.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Do you have input into how your wife dresses?

1 person likes this.
  13. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

I'm very happy with my pleated trousers, which are mostly double forward pleat by Polo Ralph Lauren (Corneliani). Posted a couple of pictures about a month ago in this thread when Noodles was considering them/suspenders. With a jacket, nobody can tell except me, who is very happy to have the comfort and appearance they provide.

It's gotten to the point that I'm rather quickly trying to phase out my low-rise wool trousers (think Banana Republic, J Crew, etc.) for mid and higher-rise pieces, and even with those I often wish they had a single forward pleat (which I have never worn but seems like a tremendous idea) because with my bigger thighs and posterior a standard flat front trouser doesn't look as good IMO.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The best dressed don't wear lapel pins.

1 person likes this.
  15. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a good amount of input as to how my wife dressed. The reverse isn't true, though she's developed very good tastes in squares and ties (to the extent that she can purchase gifts for me without worry)

16. The Noodles

She dresses well since she studied fashion in Paris for 3 years. But I do have my input via frowns and shaking my head in disapprovements.

17. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Senior member

18. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

In general a conservative suit will make a younger guy look more mature and authoritative. In my late 20's and early 30's I use to notice how I was treated differently when dressed up.

But, you can also dress up and look like an frumpy old guy or a security guard.

As, one of the more "mature" guys here, I try to avoid certain default looks of ancient Baby Boomers (Blue blazer, brass buttons, full cut medium grey trouser with rubber soled loafers) because everyone who is 80 is wearing that when they dress up. With a bit of flair, style and updated tailoring, a navy blazer or navy suit mixed with a few interesting items can actually make you look younger. IMHO. It's all about how you do it. But it isn't just your suit. Its also your hair cut, your eyeglasses (or sunglasses) , the style of your shoes and the attitude you project that gives people an impression of your age.

3 people like this.
  19. The Noodles

I use a clamp hanger and hang my trousers upside down straight.

Thx for the feedback. I think it just is my wife. Wonder what she will say to JCrews suits.

20. The Noodles

Walked into a NM.
    I was happy that no one botheres me until I had a question. I tried on the usual Zegna and the Isaia suits and they looked bad. So I asked a SA if they had suits with British influence. He said Tom Ford. First off, is he right? Anyways, I was surprised to hear this and quickly ran over to Tom Ford section to try on a size 41 D line and here is what I have to report back. The shoulders are awesome. The tapered waist kills any hints of a pear shape. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.