1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I didn't realize you were in on this one as well. You will be very pleased when they arrive.

2. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

2 people like this.
  3. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Hey Boston Noodlers, can anyone recommend me a decent tailor around here? I live in South End but I'm willing to drive.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thoughts on cotton ties? The material? Mostly thinking about recovery from wrinkles

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The knot area stays relatively wrinkled, the rest is fine. Just tie it in the same place every time and you're good to go.

6. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

no you should just tell the cotton to work out so that it smooths out its wrinkles on its own

1 person likes this.
  7. europrep

europrep Senior member

If you don't mind the drive, Marios in Chestnut Hill is solid. They have done handsewn buttonholes on a couple Formosas of mine. You do need to be fairly firm in your likes and dislikes...they tend to leave suit sleeves and pant legs long unless you say otherwise.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

How's your tan suit coming along? Slimmed those pants yet? Looking forward to seeing the results!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Meow!

3 people like this.
  10. GuP

GuP Senior member

Two new shirts coming!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Thanks for the response. Anyone else closer to the city.....preferably not rated at $$$$?

12. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

This reminds me, re last nights shirt collar/ Dom Draper conversation conversation in the other other thread, I live about 20 minutes from Spier and Mackay who do custom shirts. I should probably take advantage of that and stop in there soon to get measured for some MTO shirting.

And nice work GuP, they look like nice shirts.

1 person likes this.
  13. bookbrother

bookbrother Member

Ok folks, I have had some trouble finding suits that fit, particularly in the pants, which always are too slim through the seat -- pockets pulling, tight where it shouldn't be tight.

I am pretty slim otherwise - the 38r slim jackets fit me fine, especially Brooks Regent, and I have very thin ankles, so wider, traditional pants look like stovepipes. And the pants usually fit in the waist, I just have a big rear. I have tried Suit Supply, Benjamin Sartorial, Brooks Fitzgerald, etc. Does anybody I have missed offer separates where I could order the 34 pants and have them taken in? Is my best shot to do MTM ? Would like to stay under $600.

14. GuP

GuP Senior member

Advice from tailors here is that find the best fitting pants in the seat and have the waist taken in by someone competent.

1 person likes this.
  15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Brooks Brothers "select" allows you to mix and match jacket and pant sizes in all their fits, while changing some of the details. The up charge is minimal, it's definitely worth looking at.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

bookbrother, are you experiencing these issues with traditionally proportioned, pleated pants?

17. GuP

GuP Senior member

Pleats. That is another option.

BTW, try on the madison cut trouser at BB - it is very generous in the seat, but needs a taper from the knee down.

18. bookbrother

bookbrother Member

Thanks for the replies, gents. I should look into the mix and match with Brooks Brothers - good idea. @sugarbutch yes, often I am experiencing the same issue with traditionally proportioned pants. I have an older model Peter Millar suit that had pretty full pleated pants and I had to take out the seat and crotch, and taper the legs, to make them fit.

It is something I have to mind even when buying chinos or five pocket pants or jeans. Fuller-cut flat front pants with higher rise seem to work best - I just struggle to find a suit which pairs those trousers with a modern (but not slim) jacket.

19. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

So, looking at ties from NMWA, for discussion (in order of my inclinations)...with a few left out that I plan to buy at some point.

[​IMG]

I have the blue/peach version of this one, which is awesome (I like the green, but too close so this one instead)

[​IMG]

Here's its cousin

[​IMG]

The ones below I can see working with the shepherd's check jacket pictured

A bit autumn so not sure about this knit for summer so probably will drop it from the list.

[​IMG]

Like the asymmetric stripes here

[​IMG]

The one I'm least certain about, but can imagine working in certain fits (e.g. certain browns). But it's hard for me to picture. The cranberry makes it less garish than full on red, but it is red...

[​IMG]

There some greens that I like too.

Pick two, discuss pairings.

Edit: one green

[​IMG]

Maybe I can enlist Greg's and Kyle's opinion @gdl203 @conceptual 4est

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I personally picked all of those ties, so you already know how I feel about them.

Two comments : (1) what's wrong with a silk knit tie for summer?? you should totally keep it in your list! (2) if you have a tan, beige or light color suit or jacket, that first rust stripe tie will look great with it - see this customer photo :

[​IMG]

I love that asymmetric stripe tie btw

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.