1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

If you're in Gotham City, or a soot covered 1750 London, I could see it. However, I don't live in a bleak post-apocalyptic world so navy and brown is just fine in every city I've ever been to.

1 person likes this.
  2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I agree. I've never tried a tighter than a shoe chukka - it's always the other direction.

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do they have a five eyelet? That would give you a closer approximation to shoes. I'm guessing these will feel looser than a rain oxford, given placement of the lacing.

4. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Listen to Murl here. I posted a WAYWRN a couple of weeks ago (probably the second WAYWRN I've ever posted) with that fabric and the Oxblood Vass above

+1

I also own C&J in that color. They work fine but I think the Oxblood not only works better but is more versatile with other fits. I actually pretty much only wear my chestnut shoes with odd jackets any more.

1 person likes this.
  5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Navy is okay. But brown suit? ehhh no.

6. GuP

GuP Senior member

This is all they had in a Rain 9UK.

The 8.5UK was almost uncomfortably snug, but the SA insisted this was my size and it would break in. He wasn't being pushy - nice guy actually.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Depends on the city. Navy is a city colour, so that's fine.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  8. TweedyProf

I think you should wait until you can try on all sizes.

If he's insisting "this is your size" based just on your Brannock measurement, then I'd be wary. If he has other insights (he asked or looked at your instep, etc.), and he's older (i.e. seasoned in fitting shoes), then maybe. But it would be an expensive mistake.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Monkeyface is of course correct so far as the history of the ‘no brown in town’ principle. It was, and perhaps to some extent still is, a very British thing, with roots in the fact that the British aristocracy often maintained separate wardrobes for their country homes and their London homes.

These days, in the northeastern US at least, the appropriateness of brown is mostly a seasonal question. You’ll see it, especially in tweed, in cities (including Manhattan), but it’s a fall/winter thing. Been that way for a long time.

Cheers,

Ac

10. GuP

GuP Senior member

Trying on all would be ideal, but I don't have anything local that carries my supposed size.

He did look at my instep and was fairly knowledgeable about shoes and fits and other sartorial facets.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

FTFY

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Don't listen to Murl on his hatred for loafers!

Murl is the biggest hater on SF

1 person likes this.
  13. TweedyProf

Gents who own C&J 348 (Hallam, Tetbury, Highbury etc.)

In an effort to figure out sizing on my shoe, I've taken it on to record some sizes for the C&J thread, given that Barneys is a big source of the shoes (especially on sale) and yet their sizing seems to be all over the place. I'm after a stable measurement for sizes 9 to 10US (or 8 to 9 UK) for the common 348 last.

If you have data, and wouldn't mind reporting it in that thread, I'd be grateful. What I'm doing is taking a tailor's tape and measuring toe to heel, with tape held to each point (so not a straight line on the tape). Would be useful to know where you sourced your shoe (US vs UK, e.g., Barneys vs. not Barneys).

While this started as an attempt to figure out the size of my shoe (which I'm still debating on keeping), I figured it might be useful to the C&J community as well so I'm going to collate data.

Cheers.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/227575/quintessential-crockett-jones-thread/9690#post_7972113

14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Loafers too.

15. Murlsquirl

I was going to get a pair, but then I came to my senses (with the help of a friend) and decided to get EG Ashbys...basically loafers with a strap.

16. GuP

GuP Senior member

Did you consider CJ Sydney Murl?

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Posting a picture of today's chukka here due to ongoing discussions of shoes and to thank Murl, Tweedy and Europrep for pushing me off the fence on this GMTO.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  18. TweedyProf

@New Shoes1
    They look great!! I think the 5 versus 3 eyelets is the right choice on the Rain last. Well done (mine are on their way).

1 person likes this.
  19. Murlsquirl

I did.

You're welcome. They look great.

1 person likes this.
  20. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Edit - saw on skoak thread.