1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I split my pants during my wedding reception. Toto's Africa came on and I got really fucking excited. Tailor fixed 'em right up.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That sounds nice. On the other hand, all the chefs I know just randomly eat anything when at home.

3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Sweet fancy Moses. The things people admit to on the internet ...

Cheers,

Ac

3 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is VERY true from my experience. However, my wife never became a chef. She had a very strong opportunity to become one but decided that she didn't want to work every weekend and make pennies. Consequently she never lost her love of cooking. In other words, CM is a very lucky man.

5. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Toronto is an awesome city. I prefer the historical look I get in Boston but I much prefer how Toronto is not only a lot more spread out than Boston but a lot easier to navigate. The population density between the two cities is a big difference, too.

I stayed in Leslieville but saw most of the city while I was there. The Beaches is hands down where I'd want to live, but the prices of the places there are pretty insane. Seems like Leslieville was in the process of being built up while I was there - already a hipster neighborhood and trending further in that direction.

6. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

The whole Greater Toronto Area area is in the process of being built up. I compare Toronto to Chicago as they are similar scale cities but Boston might work also when I say that Toronto lacks the texture and history but is tremendously diverse and cultural and with a booming local economy (not to mention all those hot chicks).

Re Real estate prices in Toronto (average cost of a detached home just hit a million dollars), home ownership is a bit of a different game in Canada than in the U.S. as there's relatively limited taxes and closing costs to buy a house, interest rates are around 2.7%, and you don't pay tax when you sell your primary residence making home ownership a keystone element of a lot of Canadian's life investment strategies as that is potentially a LOT of tax free appreciation. I eye the exchange rate on an almost hourly rate via news radio during the day as the wife and I consider using an inheritance in US dollars to buy a Canadian home.

Leslieville is in the Queen Street Streetcar Line on the East Side of Downtown. There are so many 'go to' spots that I'm more familiar with to the West that I confess to not being overly knowledgeable about Leslieville aside from the fact that it's a nice spot in general.

If, tonight, I sound high on Toronto it's because I am but this is still far from the perfect place. Traffic can be stifling, apparently comparing to New York and L.A. and the Winters are simply hard to the point of that by mid March you really are just trying to hold on. I don't know that I'll live here forever and if not for my marrying a Torontonian I'd be about ready to throw a couple bags in the car and head to San Fran to try it out. Still, for anyone who's in the NE U.S. and has already done NYC, Boston, Chicago... come to Toronto in the Summer, this place is very very cool, much more so than most would expect.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

1 person likes this.
  8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

This is 100% acceptable and, in fact, expected

2 people like this.
  9. kulata

kulata Senior member

10. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I knew at least one person would understand.

2 people like this.
  11. GuP

GuP Senior member

@LA Guy

What is your next destination for work related travel?

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I don't know yet, but in all likelihood San Francisco, where out tech partners are based, and maybe NYC in the fall, if we decide to do another Styleforum trunkshow, though that remains an open decision. Truthfully, I don't love work travel, and particularly not in the summer. I am a cold weather creature, born and bred in Canadia, on the snowy shores of Lake Ontario.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I've been thinking about this, and I think it depends a lot on where you live. Dressing for your environment is often ignored around here.

If you live in a big city, most colours around you will be shades of grey and black. Wearing city colours, such as grey trousers, black shoes, navy blazers, white shirts and black or grey ties does tend to look much better than the combination with brown shoes and brown ties.

If I'm in the country, or a smaller city with much more green space, black does tend to look out of place, but when you're in the urban jungle there's no substitute for black. There's a reason why New Yorkers prefer dressing in black, it simply looks better in that environment.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

What about something like this? Simple, sublime, and a great complement to brown and black Hallams:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I agree with the point about dressing for one's environment, but I think that the assertion about grey and black may be more Square Mile or Canary Wharf than big city writ large (or perhaps financial services more broadly). When i worked in Midtown I probably saw more brown shoes than black ones; probably less prevalent when I worked in Mayfair but common nonetheless. Even in my own CBD environment, where brown shoes is pushing it but something one can get away with nonetheless, you see plenty of burgundy and non-navy ties.

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I'm not talking about what you can get away with, or what others wear, I'm simply talking about what colours go best with palette of your average big city. Most big cities exist out of shades of grey, although some cities are of course more colourful than others.

Wearing darker colours such as grey, charcoal and black tends to look much better in the city than in the country. Browns, greens and tans on the other hand look much better in the country than in the city. For example, a lot of tweeds and tartans were made to mimic the colours found in the different English and Scottish rural landscapes. There is a reason why there used to be two separate dresscodes depending on whether you were in the country or the city.

17. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

MF

I agree with you about context.

As I don’t work in a CBD environment, indeed where I think most of my colleagues are underdressed, at least when they are lecturing, I myself dislike wearing black shoes. With odd jackets, the only combo I feel isn’t less than “optimal” with black shoes (and derbies as PTB or with broguing) is the museum guard combo (mid to dark mid gray, navy blazer), but I still prefer darker brown derbies to distance myself from that association.

In more formal, admin contexts, where I don’t think a suit is necessary but some additional formality feels appropriate (dean meetings, working meetings with provost/president), then I might go with black with the museum guard combo with a white linen square or no square at all.

Black chelseas with jeans and T-shirt is a look I wear and like.

For versatility, however, I was suggesting dark brown shoes rather than black for someone who largely wears odd jackets and was wondering about whether to commit to black PTBs. I say dark brown first.

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use black derbies occasionally with dark to mid gray trousers, navy jacket, blue shirt, and a cool colored tie without any brown. Not always; I wear brown a lot with the same thing, but I'll just as happily wear black. Most recently:

[​IMG]

But yes, buy brown first.

19. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I will wear only black oxfords with this. It just looks better.
    [​IMG]

Thank you AdBlock!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

You need to add a pair of oxblood/burgundy shoes to your closet.

3 people like this.