Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Ok, the black captoe goes as do the loafers. I'm in no rush to acquire black captoes, as I own PA's in half a size too big for now, AND I rarely wear anything THAT formal. That leaves the following 3 pairs on my "To KOP soon" list. 2 meermins in 2 different lasts, and the HY:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are the ones I feel the best about, and I think they work with my formality range. Further objections?

2. luv2breformed

Not all at once, but hopefully within the month. I will prolly go for the HY first as they are on sale. I REALLY like the idea of suede loafers in a darker brown, but I can wait. I already have dark brown suede chukkas as well.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Looks great, just make sure you get your sizing right. I'd order just 1 shoe to check first.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The HY are going to be the most country you're looking at. I have the boot version with which I'm very happy.

5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Curious who here has ordered from Meermin and their impressions (what did you get, your experiences so far, how they are holding up).

I'd be tempted to go with them for some of their more casual options although many of their dress shoes are certainly handsome. But I'm more likely to try them for chukkas or other more causal shoes (loafers etc).

6. timotune

timotune Senior member

I ordered twice:
    Both times the quality was excellent & there where no QC issues.
    Shipment was very fast the first time (one week), the second one was a MTO, so obv. took some time.

I have worn my first pair a lot now (Snuff Suede Captoe with Danite-Sole), also in the worst conditions. Got it in June 2012, worn it around 100x until now. There are some signs of wear, nothing unusual, though.
    Will try to get some pics tomorrow.

I have not yet worn my MTO too often (20x), everything great so far.

7. TweedyProf

Timo: would be interested in pics. How much more is the mark-up with MTO? Obviously, this depends on what you do, but do you have a sense?

8. timotune

timotune Senior member

I participated in the SF-group-buy MTO, so the price was a bit lower than normal. I paid 400€ incl. shoe-trees & shipping.
    Normal upcarge for MTO is around 120€ on top of the linea maestro price iirc.

9. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Sorry to be late to the party and to side track the thread, but this is f***ing awesome :slayer:. I had been contemplating what to get with my next shoe purchase but this pretty much iced it - I'll be getting a pair of espresso suede Hallams.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Meermin Museum Calf MTO:
    [​IMG]
    Meermin austerity boots MTO:
    [​IMG]
    Meermin loafers:
    [​IMG]

I'm perfectly happy with the loafers, the MTOs had some cosmetic issues, mainly sloppy stitching and split heels. I'd say they're much better at their regular lineup than at their MTOs. If you can afford it I'd go for Carmina over Meeermin any day, but Meermin does offer great value for money.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Ping, thanks.

These were from the C & J factory shop, I am very pleased with them. I sometimes work in Northampton (2-4 times a month) and will often do the run around C & J, Lobb etc to see what's about. These were GB£130.

If you're up to speed with your sizing, lasts etc LMK, I'll keep my eye out for you.

Heres a pic or two of what was there recently and to give you an idea bottom price is 130, top price 180 GB£.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. TweedyProf

[​IMG]

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Wow! Lucky you! Wouldn't mind a pair of those tassel loafers! Are they factory seconds, or just big discounts?

14. luv2breformed

I can swing those prices, Cleav. I thought they were much more expensive. You know what I need, so if you see anything in 10D or 9.5D in longer lasts let me know. :)

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I tried Meermin once (shell longwings) and cancelled another order (after waiting two months). I came to the conclusion that the few dollar difference between Meermin and Carmina was not worth the quality control issues and poor customer service that is discussed throughout the Meermin thread. My shell longwings should never have shipped. The medallions are different with one off-center and both shoes had finish issues. One shoe is also wider than the other. Construction is very solid, though and they are comfortable.