1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Theoretically one should wear patent leather. I wear a pair of highly shined calfskin plain toe oxfords. The sheen of patent leather works in the evening if you like it. Perhaps it is contextually more formal with black tie, but keep in mind one could wear punch cap black oxfords with a morning coat. Anyway, I see no issue with calf though prefer a plain toe.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

So, I received the Suitsupply MTM trousers as part of my suit, and they didn't put cuffs on them, even though I had specifically asked for it (twice).

I measured the material that was folded inwards and knew there wasn't enough left to put 2" cuffs on them. I gave them a call, they sent a courier to pick them up straight away, had their own tailor look at it, and then called me to confirm there wasn't enough material for cuffs, and to tell me they'll be making another pair of trousers for me, while I can keep the current uncuffed ones.

Now if that isn't good customer service I don't know what is! I was very impressed, and now that I know they'll make sure to correct any errors, which isn't too common in the clothing business these days, I'll definitely use them again in the future.

7 people like this.
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am interested in trying them. "Red Line"?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I don't know what it's called. Just ask for the fully canvassed one. If you stick with VBC fabrics it's pretty cheap.

I do have to say that the base jacket fit me pretty well, so that might have skewed the results in my favour. Their base trousers, however, did not fit me well at all, and the ones they made for me do fit well.

Might be best to try on their base suit, and see how it fits. If it's decent I'd go ahead, but if there are major fit issues I wouldn't trust their MTM to solve it. I'm sure if you explain they'll let you try. Don't look at styling details such as shoulder expression, buttoning points, and lapel size of the standard jacket, because they can change that.

5. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Do you have any pics of the Eidos?

6. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Thoughts on this jacket?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I like it, but after having seen many of your fits I would ask if you really need another light colored jacket.

3 people like this.
  8. justinkapur

I know I definitely am wondering the same. When I put it on yesterday I was like wow this is nice but idk about versatility.

It also doesnt help that Ive seen this jacket sit around for full price and I might be able to score it for 70% off.

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@justinkapur you seem to be getting a lot lately, and though these Ring jackets all fit you wonderfully, aren't you interested in trying something else? How about a DB for variety?

1 person likes this.
  10. justinkapur

Well thats a Zegna I just posted and I have a Formosa on order. I do want to add a DB in some sort of blue just havent decided or found a swatch that calls me

1 person likes this.
  11. kulata

kulata Senior member

Not feeling the cut. Looks to rigid, the fabric will better served with a more relaxed cut. If you should buy anything, get boat loads of plain and pale blue oxford shirts

12. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Monkeyface

I really like how Washington fits me. Havana fits me well as well (but the length and lapels keep me away).

I don't know how close they are to whatever base model they use for their MTM.

13. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Noodlers, is this a hard 3 button or possibly a high 3/2 roll?
    [​IMG]

Fabric closeup
    [​IMG]

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

A hard three, doesn't get much worse than that.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

TWSS

3 people like this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I believe a soft roll 2 would be even worse in that context.

2 people like this.
  18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Yeah, looks pretty bad.

Justin, maybe you should think about your next commissions in terms of your overall closet? Rather than keep getting ones that look nice (so your closet is more well rounded, rather than a ton of nice jackets, but that all only go with one set of pants)

2 people like this.
  19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I believe it's similar to the La Spalla. Anyways, they've got jackets and trousers in every size, so just walk up to them and ask if you could try on a jacket. I'm sure they'd be ok with it. I looked it up and it's called suit up personal tailoring. Starts at EUR469/GBP469 for VBC stuff. They don't take into account exchange rates. Probably hedged their FX risk. My suit was EUR800, because the fabric I chose is quite expensive. All other options are always included.

20. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

All these talks of Suit Supply is making me want to revisit it. At least order a SSS online and try it and go from there. I cannot imaging paying more than 500 USD for a SSS though.