1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. GuP

GuP Senior member

Tying the knot soon and need input on black tie accessories.

1. waistcoat vs cummerbund?

2. wing collar vs turn down collar for shirt? 3/4 inch vs 1/2 inch pleat on shirt?

3. bowtie: semi butterfly

4. patent leather pumps or oxfords?

Also, where can I get above?

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Are you restricted to black tie? I wouldn't wear formal wear to a wedding.

3. GuP

GuP Senior member

What would you wear if you were getting married?

4. Caustic Man

Depends on if it was a daytime or nighttime ceremony.

5. GuP

GuP Senior member

Evening. 6PM.

I already had a tux commissioned.

6. Caustic Man

Well then by all means, stick to it. I don't think anyone will say it's "wrong", however I never saw weddings as formal events. If I had my preference I'd probably wear something more exuberant.

7. GuP

GuP Senior member

As much as I would like to be dapper and channel my inner iGent for total 0wnage, I figured it would be best to go with something timeless and let my soon to be wife steal the show

3 people like this.
  8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Shoe customs tax is 8.5%

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Wing collars are for white tie or waiters. The other options depend more on your personal taste. The black tie guide website is pretty good.

10. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

I just got a pair of UK6 Forest and wear US7 on the AE5 - can confirm the fit is good. The carmina outsole length on the forest is surprisingly short. Not so small that it bugs me, but noticeably smaller than the AEs or Meermins.

Just got a pair of Meermins too - UK6 on the Olfe last. Longer outsole, the overall shape isn't as pleasing as the carmina forest, and the leather is STIFF. Wrecked shop on my feet the first time out but they should soften up, god willing. They were half the price of the carminas so it's understandable.

I'll do a comparison post one of these days.

But in terms of customer service for Meermin I must disagree - they've been really responsive. They actually sent the wrong belt in the size I ordered (their fault) but the belt was too small (my fault). I told them of the issue and they've shipped me the right belt in the bigger size at no cost. I'd say that's pretty cool.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Meermin takes forever to soften up. Maybe 10-20 wears, if not more. You can bend the sole by hand dozens of times to break them in without blisters.

You could also put the end of a broom or any stick in the heel area and push down in all directions to soften up the heel. Obviously I don't buy meermin anymore because of this. The only exception is their suede shoes, which tend to break in much faster.

Their regular line suede shoes are good value for money. Their regular line leather or their LM line leather shoes are not. You're better off buying Carmina. It's nice that Meermin LM is handwelted, but it doesn't offset the fact that shoes take forever to break in and the lack of quality control.

12. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

To the band aid store!

13. GuP

GuP Senior member

Ya I was leaning away from wing collars.

Any good place that will have all these accessories?

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Get black oxfords. Nice ones. Go somewhere and get a high shine on them. Pumps are a waste of money. Unless you're Crusty.

1 person likes this.
  15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Up to the couple. I was once a groomsman in a wedding party where we all wore tailcoats and top hats.

It was bloody hot ...

Cheers,

Ac

16. GuP

GuP Senior member

Any particular brand? Are these worth shelling out a good amount of $ for since they will rarely be worn?

17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Congrats GuP! I agree with you, let the bride be the center of attention. Every woman has dreamt of her wedding day since she was a little girl, so let it be her day.
    But, no cummerbunds please. I also wore a tux at my wedding (albeit a brown one...) and opted for a waistcoat that subtly referred to my wife's gown. Of course, with her looking so spectacular, none of the guests had the slightest interest in how the groom looked. :D

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

Wow what culture is that?

Her outfit is very intricate and detailed. Beautiful

1 person likes this.
  19. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thanks, it's Indonesia. The dress is a modern interpretation of the traditional kebaya.

20. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member