1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

deleted dbl post

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Things that I would have bought if I was an idiot, but I didn't. But I still need to go visit SS.
    Zegna Mila
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

RLBL
    [​IMG]

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I see a couple ties in that listing I wouldn't mind owning, myself. I'll give a courtesy 24 hours for those more in need, ha.

4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Appreciate it TM. What does everyone think of these 2 for my needs? Are there any I'm greatly overlooking for my needs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Need to keep up with L2RFRM.
    Noodled.
    Vandas
    Concern - Won't go with my navy suits, but I love this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I like the Drake's. I don't dislike the other one but it's clearly more of a fall/winter tie so depending on what you've got and what you still need plus your budget I may continue to focus on items that come closer to being able to be worn year round.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good shirt choices, Noodles.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

All excellent pick ups Noodles. And I suspect that you'll have more use for a navy pindot in a few years. Good ties generally don't go anywhere. Which is good, since that middle tie, most excellent, is pretty similar to that shibumi (or Conrad Wu?) you got a few weeks back (olive green with flowers). I like the Vanda more though. As your tie wardrobe grows, some redundancy (as long as it is between quality items) isn't a bad thing. So yeah, all in all, excellent pick ups.

L2, at that price I'd just get a grenadine from Sam Hober. Dark brown, large (grossa or prometeo) weave.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

First off, looks like my head is screwed on correctly now. I think I was running around this thread like a chicken with its head chopped off.
    I realize that the Vanda and Conrad Wu are somewhat similar. The wine seemed like a good pick to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Claghorn

All three are excellent. The wine the best. I think pulling back slightly has given you some excellent perspective concerning shirts and ties. 5 for 5 and none were even close to a miss.

Also, that Zegna fits you better on the shoulders than most of the other jackets I've seen you in. Good call on not purchasing it due to the pattern, but that particular fit is a good one for you. 38 or 40?

3 people like this.
  11. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

This whole time I should've been wearing a 40 but I've been wearing a 38, hence the pull at the mid-section. Bummer.

Much appreciate your help in shirts and ties. We shall revisit suits later.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Doodals, just caught up on the threak. Very nice work man, your to be commended :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  14. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Nice colors...compliments.

15. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I really like the 3rd tie. That deep dark red is very nice.

1 person likes this.
  16. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a bit drawn to this tie:

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...brown-beige-gingham-self-tipped-wool-tie.html

I can see wearing it with a dark brown or navy flannel jacket with either light blue solid shirt or very light and thinly spaced stripes (light blue or light gray). But the gingham + wool sort of throws me a bit: summer + winter as I see it. I am thinking early fall and transition from winter to spring as the thematically appropriate times to wear it.

Thoughts?

Some of you might have Calabrese ties (Stitch? Claghorn?), so thoughts about their construction (lining, knoting etc.).

17. Claghorn

When to wear it sounds right, but I'd be most concerned about whether it resolves to brown (buy) or tan (don't buy)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  18. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I bet it resolves to tan, although I'm not sure tan is a deal breaker (I've been looking out for a tan raw silk, actually, for summer). Certainly, not the first tie you should buy, but in the right contexts it can work. Similar issues arise for light gray such as this:

http://www.conradwu.com/collections/neckties/products/grey-melange-raw-silk

In fit pics, it comes off pretty light (looks more mid gray there). Curious as to your thoughts against tan. Too light for winter?

19. Claghorn

Tan is a pretty country color, so it's likely to work best in the context of a country jacket. Which means blue or ecru for the shirt, if blue, the tie will either be too light or match the shirt in brightness. Ecru, it'll blend. It's a tie that, if it resolves to tan, probably looks best against a white shirt. It could work with a slightly rustic flannel suit or a navy blazer with a white shirt. Anyway, just a word of caution against tans--hry are harder to work with than their darker cousins in brown. Which isn't to say there is no call to own one.

Light gray has the same problem. This is why Rudals is looking for a darker gray in addition o his light gray grenadine. He wants something that works with blue and white, not just white.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

all excellent. you have learned well.

1 person likes this.