1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ My good suggestion is to get that Formosa navy sport coat. It's a great place to start with an odd jacket--boring at first and then only as boring as you make it.

2 people like this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Noodles. A navy blazer is versatile and should be your first real odd jacket. Boring is kind of the point. That said, you need suits way more than sport coats.

1 person likes this.
  3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Navy is not boring. Navy is what's next, noods!

4. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Somewhere in Texas, Claghorn is crying. But are they tears of laughter or sorrow?

1 person likes this.
  5. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Texture. Thanks

This one with the sale and the tailor's credit is ONLY $1,355!!! I want to pull the trigger!

A suit is definitely what I should be pursuing, however, I am fine playing OJT once or twice a week. This will give the Formosa suits time to rest.

That jacket screams boring! But it's the right one.

Some non-boring SCs.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. kulata

kulata Senior member

Add another $145 and you get a BnT bespoke suit.

3 people like this.
  7. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

LOL - prison stripes FTW, although it could stand to be a bit shorter.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

Laughter. Maniacal laughter.

9. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

didn't noodles pick up two pairs of EP pants? And wasn't one of them gray? I guess he traded those in for the Rotas....

1 person likes this.
  10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Pack your things and go.

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

Because I'm always pushing Noodles towards SuSu (and any other brand that has been shown to fit him well) and I think I am making some headway in this, some stuff Noodles might get from SuSu and why.

Charcoal striped Lazio
    [​IMG]
    Noodles has been craving something in charcoal for a while. And someone earlier gave him advice, which I agreed with, to look into a striped suit. I've asked Noodles show this suit to his wife and get her take. I don't know if he has. He suggested I was a crazy person. But I think that's because Mrs. Noodles and I have ganged up on him before.

But what Noodles really needs is a navy/dark blue odd jacket. Unfortunately, SuSu isn't carrying anything that would really work for Noodles (I think). He'll be disappointed with the Havana lapels and buttoning point and there isn't any good jackets with Hudson. Fortunately, there are two excellent, excellent Hudson blazersuits available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I say go with the lighter of the two (mohair, silk, linen) simply because it'll add something to his suit rotation to have something in mid-blue (you already have a solid navy suit, right?) But the second is more conventional and I know at least one GNAT reader picking it up and being very happy with it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    3 people like this.
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

2 people like this.
  13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Stripes are too close together.

2 people like this.
  14. archibaldleach

I assume Claghorn is joking around. That suit is hideous.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Speaking of Suit Supply, does anyone here have experience with having a tailor shorten the sleeves of one of their jackets? If so, how much can one get away with?

Knowing that I would need to have this done has prevented me from trying them, given the functional buttons. But I remain curious.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member

You assume incorrectly. I think we must have different tastes in suits. But I do agree with Mr. Six in that the stripes would be better further apart. But in general, I like smaller scale stripes assuming they are fuzzy enough. And those are.

17. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I've lost track. Does Noodles already have a solid charcoal suit?

(It's hard to keep up. It's not just a question of what he's bought, it's also a question of what he's returned ...)

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  18. archibaldleach

Maybe it's the image / monitor. The thing looks cheap and shiny (not as bad on my laptop as it looked on my phone) in the worst possible way from what I can tell (kind of like what I'd expect to see in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). I highly doubt our tastes are that different; I like a higher ratio of non-blue to blue jackets and like grey suits a bit more than you, but I generally like the things you post. Do you happen to have the link to the actual suit on their website?

2 people like this.
  19. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

I have had a hudson and a Havana shortened from the shoulder. Havana was a linen silk blend. hudson is a textured wool, almost a rough birdseye. not sure that matters. took off about 1.5 inches or so, under 2 for sure. hudson turned out well, sleeve pitch and volume work well. I had it done by my regular tailor and he reattached with Spalla camicia no problem. was not cheap though, I did it b/c I loved the jacket. Havana was done subsequently, at SuSu. less successful in that the sleeve is now a little tight.

to summarize, it's doable but success depends on the style /sleeve volume and taper and possibly skill of the tailor.

1 person likes this.
  20. archibaldleach

Also, I think both of the blue suits Claghorn posted images of look good. I agree that the lighter one is better (because Noodles has a navy suit and also because IMO a fabric like that is meant for a slightly lighter blue).