1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

All good, dood.

I haet u.

1 person likes this.
  2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

U luuuuuuv me.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

Truth. Im busted.

1 person likes this.
  4. GuP

GuP Senior member

Which BD looks the best? Trying to get something made from Luxire: 1.
    Three detail shots of my latest order containing 2 shirts. Modified Default BD: [​IMG] Beautiful shirring: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. http://brokeandbespoke.tumblr.com/post/94446897488/ordering-this-collar-from-luxire-ive-received-a Open to other suggestions as well

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

I prefer the first. I also like Luxire's standard BD.

6. GuP

GuP Senior member

Arghh there are 3 examples in there but I somehow can't get the "3." out of the spoiler!

7. GuP

GuP Senior member

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

I'm a fan of the first, the Barba BD. You can view most popular Luxire collars here tinyurl.com/luxirecollars

2 people like this.
  9. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

Even including the 3rd option, I have to agree, I prefer the first.

10. GuP

GuP Senior member

I was favoring the Barbara BD as well. I really like tweedy's collars as well. They are very similar to the Barbara BD me thinks

11. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

^Saks never carried Isaia. NM was the only place where I saw them, along with TF.
    Saks in Las Vegas has a pretty substantial Isaia selection. The buyers for Saks 5th Ave. are all quite different. The SF store carries no Isaia, but Edward Green.

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@GuP

There are two issues for me with BDs, how they look unbuttoned and how they look with a tie. It's hard to get a balance. Adelesco's doesn't have enough "lift" in the collar for my tastes though it might look great unbuttoned.

I actually don't like the Luxire collar unbuttoned (#1 in your pic) as the collar is leaning too far toward the shoulder, pulling the collar band out. YMMV.

I've got two basic shapes, based on the Borrelli collar, I think (could be Barba) and the Kamakura collar, with my own adjustments.

The Kamakura (with it's very gentle, symmetrical "S").

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't wear these with ties.They are patterns for my summer shirts. Here's a pic from the Kamakura SF thread (Edit: It's Henry Carter's). Gives a good lift over the tie.

[​IMG]

I had mine made with Hemrajani where we added an unfused interlining from my sample (which was fused).

The other is the Borrelli collar which I would wear with a tie.

[​IMG]

Photo from Joe Hemrajani

It's got a higher band, and two button. Again with modifications to the above. The roll is nice too:

[​IMG]

Here's an earlier version. I've reduced the gap in the tie spacing. Shantung haters can look away (tie is Panta, jacket is Eidos). But the collar has a nice lift over the tie.

[​IMG]

Because the collar is higher, I use these for more work/casual settings than summer.

As these were not done by Luxire, I can't help you there. But I'm sure the Kamakura and Barba have been replicated at luxire (and the latter I think must be similar to the borreli).

BDs in the end are quite varied and tastes vary (Foo had a famous thread about this). Basically, for me, it's the soft curve of the "S" unbuttoned and the shape of the bell curve when buttoned that matter. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The Kamakura collar is one of the better balanced BD collars out there.

FYI that image with the tie is one of my photos (with a HC tie), the shirt is kamakura but I took the photo so if it's being used on the kamakura website I'd appreciate the link to it as they haven't asked permission to use the image

14. in stitches

Borrelli, Panta and Kamakura are best shaped BDs imo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@Henry Carter

Sorry, I just googled "Kamakura Collar" and that was one of the first images that came up with a tie. It's actually from the SF thread, not from their website, so I misspoke. Didn't realize it was your pic. Might have to get me a burnt orange tie for the summer.

16. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Well, I thought I could make it work but it's time to let go of the last 38R suit that never fit me. [​IMG]

17. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Hmm I don't know if this is particularly true, I think it's more up to personal preference. I don't own 1 shirt that is a square tail because I think it looks silly. All of my casual shirts that I wear untucked (Oxford cloths, linen blends, etc) all have a rounded tail.

18. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Of course it's true, there is no doubt that round tails are designed to be tucked. If they weren't they wouldn't be round. However it is also personal preference. I don't think anyone will point the wrinkly finger of disdain at you for wearing a round tail untucked, it's simply not what the shirt was designed for.

1 person likes this.
  19. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member