Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I...chugged 6 bottles of beer and was able to watch only half of it. It is good...I think.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Applyky in the Hober forum had some nice comments as do many other Hober afficionados (after I solicted comments from Hober types about this issue). You might get some good feedback from those posts in that thread, a few pages back from today.

My sense from what was said there is that Hober's standard construction works quite well, though the knot might be slightly on the larger size. I will definitely go for the lightest lining David has when I get my first grens made. Stitches in this thread pointed out not much of a difference in drape at more than 4folds (and that is standard for Hober, I think).

Tipping or untipping, I still go back and forth on. If I had no worries about resources, I'd probably untip and go six fold, but I am unsure about the transparency at the bottom of the front blade (see Mimo's shibumi a few pages back). Especially with the larger weave grenadines. People all say: talk to David!

Two cents for someone thinking about this issue too (but who doesn't have grenadines yet).

3. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Many thanks, TProf. That's I think where I remembered it from. Will read some and also check Shibumi's and Vanda's sites for comparisons on built. Don't have any either yet.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Should I be concerned that 2 of the next Hober purchases on my list just got recommended and are in single digits?

JR: if you have not found a good tailor in Chicago yet, I use Maria at Golden Needle. She knows what she is doing, but is expensive.

5. TweedyProf

Pink Panther has been helpful too and reads this thread sometimes. A few have liked the drape of Vandas a bit more than Hobers, but all are highly recommended in the forums.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes. Ed dropped in to mention that this thread has driven some traffic towards Panta. I hope (and imagine) it's been the same for Henry Carter. Has to be true for Hober.

7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Ive been emailing Hober but dont know what color I want and he suggested getting a swatch.

8. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Senior member

He is right. For $32.00 you can get every swatch for every solid color in all four grenadine weaves. It is cheap, and will be money well spent. Alternatively, if you just like a particular weave, then it is even less $ (eg, the fina swatch set is $8.00).

9. pinkpanther

Regardless of how big or small the knots are judged to be in the pics on the Hober thread, it is important to remember that David makes the ties individually and can make them however you want. If you want a knot the size of a baseball, he could do that. If you want a knot the size of a gum ball, he could do that.

10. TweedyProf

Yes I think I'm OCD enough to measure the dimensions of my favorite knot and get David to copy it! Probably better just to measure the width if the tie at relevant points?

11. pinkpanther

I have no comment on the "amount" of OCD the typical SF poster may or may not exhibit...:)

I am sure measurements are good but, as always, my advice is to correspond directly with David regarding any particular wants you may have.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Agreed. It's a bespoke tie. He'll make it however you want it made.

13. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

[​IMG]
    Don't know if I can afford C&J, but something like this? can anyone point me to a cheaper version?

+ Dark Brown country casual blucher/boot?

It's not that I didn't like the semi-brogue you posted, mimo. I just think they may be my 6th shoe instead of my fifth. I think given how much casual/tweed I will be wearing, another pair of casual bluchers, but in dark brown would work better for me.

What do you guys think?

Also, I almost instakopped those HY. Should I hop on that deal, or no?

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Look at Meermin, €160, and well made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think on a grenadine it's a no-brainer: the transparency's kind of the point, isn't it? I guess perhaps not so much with the "grossa" which acts a lot more like a knit.

1. You do need an alternative to the black cap toe to wear with a suit. I think so, anyway.

2. Claghorn's the HY shoes man. But if you want other options for country-style derbies, we can find some, including: