1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Post some picks I'd like to see how they compare to your MTM.

2. GuP

GuP Senior member

Will do - going for the Havana SC in navy and will search the store for some other dark/mid blues to try on.

Curious to see to how the susu pants fit me as well

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Check out the Hudson cotton wool in navy as well

4. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks. Coming from you, that means a lot. I'm really enjoying the quality and drape of the two ties I purchased. The weight is just perfect to me. I will probably take advantage of your current discount in the coming days and order a few more.

Are there any give aways that this is an orphaned suit jacket and not a SC (buttons, pockets etc). It's hard to see the fabric, possibly in the last picture.?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

^ Charcoal worsted, flapped besom pockets, non-contrasting buttons: 100% orphaned suit jacket.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Yep :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

this? awsm look bar the white

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks, gentlement. It's actually navy according to the seller (and my monitor). I wouldn't even consider it if it was charcoal.

But it being an orphan is what I suspected. The buttons and flap pockets gave it away, although the seller insisted on it being a SC. It seems to be some kind of twill weave, if that helps. At least that's what it looks like on my monitor.

9. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

Thanks Pliny! It is great but not exactly the one I was thinking of. I believe there is another head to toe shot where he is wearing suede loafers and a darker green tie. Anyway this is helpful too. I just got a jacket with a very similar check and I was looking for combo inspirations. If the other shot comes to anyone's mind I'd greatly appreciate it.

10. europrep

europrep Senior member

If it is navy and you like the fabric and price, kop it and swap the buttons. Don't worry about flap pockets...that really has nothing to do with SC versus suit IRL....it is a matter of your personal preference.

11. cakv

cakv Senior member

It would have benefit from a light blue shirt. Looks good nonetheless.

12. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

A couple of ASW sale ties arrived today. Quality feels top notch (as you would expect from ASW...)

Gray and Blue Cashmere
    [​IMG]

Glenn Check Silk
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Bonus: Couldn't wait to try it on [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  14. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

That looks great with the donegal jacket, Sebastian McFox.

1 person likes this.
  15. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

Indeed, that looks very good.

1 person likes this.
  16. losrockets

losrockets Senior member

Responding to a couple requests here.

First for @The Noodles the best picture I can get of a pair of my pleated pants with a pair of Trafalgar braces. Don't have access to any full-length mirrors at this work site. Pants are a brown cavalry twill by Corneliani for RLBL. Pleats are symmetric but due to the lighting it may not appear so in this photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details: Epaulet x Southwick olive jacket, Kent Wang tie bar, Spier & Mackay ecru shirt

And then for @GuP and anybody else asking about Spier & Mackay, here is a shot or two of their wool/linen navy "hopsack"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Apologies for the mirror shots, I don't really have any other options. Pockets are weighed down in the pics with lots of keys, notepads/papers so there may be some strange tugging. Hope this helps. No PS because I'm at work and there's usually an ID tag hanging from the breast pocket.

:

1 person likes this.
  17. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

I live about 20 minutes from Spier and Mackay. That jacket and Claghorn's endorsement of their pants has me thinking I might stop by sometime.

18. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I'm still waiting to hear exactly what sucks about Spier stuff... from the poster who claimed it was so.

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I'm a bit of a SuSu addict, making it a point to pass by their Shanghai store nearly every time I visit that fabulous metropolis. (For those who know Shanghai, SuSu are due to open their new, larger, better-positioned store on Anfu Lu - smack in the centre of the "laowai ghetto" - this month. Try and keep me away from that one.)

I now own four SuSu suits - La Spalla in blue flannel, Soho in chalkstripe grey, Havana 3-piece in brown/grey gunclub check, and Lazio 3-piece in a superb light grey VBC wool fabric.

Lazio 3pc -
    [​IMG]

Havana 3pc -
    [​IMG]

La Spalla -
    [​IMG]

Soho -
    [​IMG]

That's four suits, but I have only acquired one SuSu odd jacket - a Soho in mid-brown PoW tweed -
    [​IMG]

Generally I will try on all their jackets, but usually find there's either some kind of fit problem - sleeves too long (disastrous with their working sleeve buttons), buttoning point too high, poor fit across the shoulders, or whatever. The jackets are also relatively expensive, often the same price as their suits or just shy thereof. I always end up gravitating towards their suit rack.

If you can find a SuSu odd jacket that works, good for you. I'm a big fan of their suits but not so convinced about any of their other stuff.

3 people like this.
  20. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, one of the big reasons for GuP to go to SuSu or BB is to just get a few pictures of RTW that doesn't look as bad as his DR MTM

1 person likes this.