1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Nothing wrong with a glen plaid shirt, considering that you combine it with solids.
    If you only want to wear stuff that nobody on SF frowns upon, you'll be wearing a navy patch pocket sc, light grey flannels and a brown grenadine every day. :)

Edit: I'm looking forward to hear David Reeves' comments too. I like the bespoke stuff that he posts, but if this is what his MTM gets you...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I can never forget that horrid three piece he (Reeves) posted early on. It was genuinely terrible.

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

How early? He's been posting some nice stuff for a while now.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It was from around the time he showed up on the forums. I can't find it on my phone but it was posted here, torn to shreds, and referenced for a while.

5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thanks, Claghorn. Yes, that is what I meant. My Vandas are also 7-fold. I feel they are to light for my taste. Given my preference for heavier ties than Vanda's, would I be unsatisfied with ET's 3-folds as well? I'm looking at the 3x striped green and navy ties, which are 3-fold.

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don Raphael do you have any Shantungs? I have a Vanda shantung and I can't say it's lighter than my others, and they are all light in weight. I think it's a three fold too. I feel like summer ties should be lighter anyway.

7. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

No experience with shantung ties. But when I compare my Vanda ties with other makers (Cappelli, Marinella, Conrad Wu, Sam Hober, A. Quaranta Locatelli etc.) they're considerable lighter. This 6-fold for example http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/562-green-orange-flowers.html

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. TweedyProf

I suspect it's more the lack of lining (which I really like in their wool ties).

My Vanda navy shantung is in fact a six fold but it looks unlined (I've heard there might be a lining in Vanda's where the knot forms, but can't verify). The Conrad Wu shantung is 3 fold with lining. The latter is imperceptibly heavier, if there's a difference in weight, but I would call them both light ties in heft.

So if you are worried that the ET shantung tie will be lighter than other shantungs, I doubt it. Even a Vanda shantung, I suspect, is not lighter.

But @davesmith can at least tell you if his ET shantungs are any lighter than the Drake's shantungs or others that he has carried.

I say, embrace the light in this case.

9. TweedyProf

Incidentally, a few reductions of interest to some of you. The first is tempting. Greg had the second in navy/rust which is the more versatile color way, but purple/rust might work for some. I'm not sure I can wear the third tie, but with a navy suit, might work for summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.barneys.com/search?fromInstantSearch=true&q=drake's

10. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate it the comparison. If they're somewhat the same Construction wise, I'll carry on and focus on which make up I appreciate most and take it from there (one, two, or three stripes):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The navy is available with 2 or 3 stripes, while the green is available with 1 or 3 stripes.

11. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey guys, if you're interested in following my and my fiancée Erica's coverage of Pitti Uomo 88 (lots of pictures), I've just posted a thread. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the #Pitti88 tag, for all the Styleforum coverage from the fair.

2 people like this.
  12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Exactly the same amount of time as copying and pasting a whole bunch of URLs that nobody could be bothered clicking on.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I have absolutely zero idea what this means.

I suspect, though, that it has something to do with the "#" symbol, which I am told has recently come to be termed a "hashtag". Why this might be, and why it no longer means "play one semitone higher than the indicated note in the C major scale", is also utterly opaqe to this pitiful Luddite.

1 person likes this.
  14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh, I'll leave the explanation of indexing and such witchcraft to the young and tech savvy.

15. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Took advantage of the Henry Carter sale and picked up these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus this, because I needed more stripes in my life
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Vanda ties!
    #Awesome!!!
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I wonder how you're planning to wear this one?

1 person likes this.
  18. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

Thanks. That jacket does indeed have patch pockets, so I evaded the patch pocket sport coat police for another day.

19. GuP

GuP Senior member

Should I keep this bad boy or part ways? Perhaps ironing it will make it fit a bit better since it is linen?

20. TweedyProf

Yes, see earlier part of the thread. I think against a crisp white shirt, navy suit, might be fine. Won't go with light blue shirt unless so light as to be nearly white, perhaps to a fancy Easter brunch.