1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Maybe, no, no, very much yes

3. GuP

GuP Senior member

Suede seems...seasonal?

Or is it the color of the suede perhaps? I equate a darker shade of suede with fall/winter/cold

4. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

I appreciate you guys continuing to humor me on this endeavor. So I'm 5'10, actually, but close enough.

I still think the overall proportions of the suit are more flattering when taken out of all other context (current styles, etc), but I do see what you're on about. The lower buttoning point also makes the jacket more comfortable to wear and completely eliminates any potential for "tie peek," which is a big plus for me to not have to worry about that annoyance.

If I were going to send the sport coat and those pants to be copied into a suit, I'd still have a bunch of nitpicks on the SC to modify. I think it needs wider lapels, a 1" lower buttoning point and a 1" longer length overall to really fit the 2015 style that seems to be popular in this thread and with many of the guys posting in the CM WAYWRN thread. I could probably ask for 3.5" lapels, since that's the width of my widest ties. But since most of my ties are more like 3-3.25", something like a 4" lapel is going to be pushing it too far, especially on my narrower frame.

I do think there could be a place for both in my wardrobe. The YSL style is obviously not en vogue at the moment, but I don't think it's bad or unflattering either. And while I don't think you're wrong in your assessment, I'm not sure if I want to blend in completely either.

Oh the one other thing that occurred to me is that the wide spread/cutaway collar with zero tie space is probably not doing the YSL jacket any favors. It works well with the Epaulet SC's higher gorge, but I feel like it clashes with the proportions of the lapels on the YSL suit. So I have a shirt from Luxire on its way with a sort of modified version of Proper Cloth's Roma collar (higher collar band but otherwise same dimensions), which should be arriving in a couple days. I'm going to at least see how that might help the overall balance of the YSL look before I make any final decision.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but if you want Luxire to change that much it'll most likeley end in disappointment for you. Seriously, put the idea on hold for now.

Save the money you intended for Luxire, and get some local in person (not online!) MTM or bespoke when you've saved enough. Wear that for a while to see if you're happy with it, and then send it to Luxire to be copied. It'll end up saving you a lot of money in the long run.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    4 people like this.
  6. StanleyVanBuren

Well yeah, I agree, changing that much is probably asking for trouble. Whereas if I send the YSL suit to have copied, I already know that I wouldn't have them change anything about it.

Plus while not being an expert myself, I've heard & read countless times how the Italian spalla comicia shoulder is impossible to properly replicate by those that don't have serious experience in crafting it.

7. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I'm glad you mentioned the gorge on the YSL coat. It throws me off every time that I look at it. It's such a signature of the time period of the suit that it colors my viewing of other aspects. But when I focus on the whole, I think that if the gorge were higher, the lapels were about a half inch wider, and trousers were slightly tapered below the knees, then the suit would look really good.

8. TexJake

TexJake Senior member

I like this one more than the triple stripe, but just personal preference there.
    [​IMG]

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You don't have to have a spalla camicia shoulder. There are other shoulder expressions out there. I'm sure Luxire can do a regular natural shoulder. Anyways, I still think you'd be much happier with good in person MTM.

10. StanleyVanBuren

No, what I am saying is that that's how that particular sport coat was made. So if I send it to them, there's a good chance they won't get it right.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Ah, fair enough. Yeah, that's not going to work either then. I think that in a year or two from now Luxire will be much better at making jackets, so waiting will pay off doubly.

12. GuP

GuP Senior member

MTM doh :brick:

13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks for that link TM

I have to say, the ties that work do so (for me) only when they are sufficiently contrasting with the shirt in the background. None of the light beiges in that thread work, IMO. Many of those ties pic-ed there are not "light" in my book (e.g. the oranges).

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

So are you going to out the AV who made that poorly fitting jacket or are you just going to elude to it forever? One of those is helpful and one is not.

2 people like this.
  15. TweedyProf

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Data: ET and Viola Milano (same tie, so buy it from Shaya if interested).

1 person likes this.
  16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

FWIW i like the triple stripe (for whoever was asking)

1 person likes this.
  17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

He's going to talk to the AV first, which I think is reasonable at this point.

18. TweedyProf

Didn't you buy the navy one, from ET hopefully (as it was cheaper through them).

I started this particular part of the thread, soliciting summer tie suggestions and making a few of my own.

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

dsutton is selling a seven fold linen Tadino on BS I think.

20. EliodA

EliodA Senior member