Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Sure does. History repeats itself, even in the Noodles thread.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I have no idea how many calories I consume, but I about a year or two ago I dropped almost all junk food and just eat a lot less than I used to. Works for me.

3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Intermittent fasting(16 hr) + resistance training = super effective. Just sayin'

Fasting increases expression and activity of ATGL — the real rate limiter in lipolysis. There's really no other(known) way to increase it. HSL can be played with a number of different ways.

Liberate and burn!

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Ramadan essentially inverts the eating schedule. All my friends that fast eat a big meal after sundown and will then wake up and eat before sunup, so two big meals a day.

I completely agree with you regarding the nutrition stuff, but starving yourself every other day at the very least doesn't sound sustainable, i.e. for forming lasting habits. I don't know what it does to metabolism or hormones, so yes, that was conjecture on my part which is why I suggested working with a nutritionist.

My thoughts are simply that if you want to get to a state of moderate ketosis to up regulate fat utilization for energy, then you'd be better off just playing with macros and upping proteins while reducing carbs and keeping fats reasonable. It takes some time to adjust, but especially if you cycle through this, I can see it being beneficial. We used to do bonk rides for endurance training where we'd wake up in the morning, grab some coffee, and ride a slow steady pace at 2hrs or so. Thought was that it makes your body better at utilizing fat stores for energy which is helpful when racing. It takes some getting used to but the body can definitely adapt.

The thing I dislike about diets where people either don't break up meals or have a day of only one meal or so is that it's not sustainable for the long term. I think losing 15 lbs right this second is useless if you're going to gain them back in the next 6 months. It's so much better to come up with a reasonably sustainable plan for diet and moderate exercise. You don't have to plan every minute detail for meals etc, but having a sort of plan and a bit of exercise goes a long way.

Edit: What Cox said. Though I'd argue that even if things work a certain way, i.e. evolutionary hormone regulations with circadian rhythms etc, one can still 'hack' the system a certain amount. I wasn't saying that you'd start catabolizing muscle the second you start fasting as there's lots of turnover all the time. I was saying that you'd do so if you were fasting for an entire day every other day, although I have to admit that I don't know if it'd teetotal over since you're going to be replenishing stores over the alternate days.

I also know that I'd be miserable if I didn't eat till lunch since I'm up at like 6-630 most days.

5. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

One of the big headlining studies for intermittent fasting was actually done on soccer players who observe Ramadan.

Intermittent fasting(16hrs) / alternate day fasting / calorie shifting has been shown to result in statistically significant greater fat loss, while preserving more lean mass, than traditional eating schedules and calorie restriction diets

6. ridethecliche

Cool. Learn something every day.

That sounds fucking miserable to do to me though. How sustainable is that for most people though?

I actually don't like calorie restriction all that much. I'd prefer to eat about the same but increase workouts slightly when I'm trying to cut weight. Add in more cardio to burn a bit more, while keeping calories relatively consistent.

7. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

You may find it an acceptable lifestyle once you start surgery residency [​IMG]

8. ridethecliche

The attendings usually eat breakfast and lunch.

The residents are a different story though!

9. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

10. LeBeef

LeBeef Senior member

These days, the interns eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, and have tea time. Just kidding - I'm not really old and bitter lol.

Finding time to work out and eat right during residency is one of the hardest things. Sleep deprivation does a number on your ability to make rational choices.

11. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior member

nm

12. ridethecliche

@MGoCrimson , actually follow up question.

Professional athletes are genetically 'different' than most of us when it comes to exercise etc, they also have the advantage of being able to sleep all day if they are being paid to train. Most mortals can't do that.

I'm not sure how well that study you referenced carries over in terms of actually being usable by the average person, no?

13. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Studies utlizing intermittent fasting + exercise protocols have been repeated in a very wide range of demographic groups. Everything seems to be pointing towards IF+exercise as being a superior method to improve body composition vs traditional meal timing+exercise.

And on top of the weight loss studies there is a growing body of evidence in both human and murine models that show IF has a significant positive effect health markers associated with chronic disease, longevity, etc.

It's neat stuff

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I'm not a strict intermittent faster. I eat late - usually 8 or 9pm - and also like a wee little dwinkie at bedtime most evenings. Then in the morning, I have a home brewed espresso macchiato, which doubtless contains some calories. But I have stopped eating breakfast.

When I think about it, as a young man (a medical resident in fact) I used to skip breakfast pretty much every day. And I was lean, too lean. I only developed a spare tyre in my early thirties. Really, I was into IF without realising it.

You would get used to it very quickly, RTC. Really. (Don't know if you're trying to reduce body fat at this time though.)

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I get hungry...I eat...I workout. Easy peazzy, lemon squeezy.