Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Thanks! I think IRL, mine are in the ball park. I'll give em' a go and see how they go. Would you say pull the trigger on the tie? I'm sure I could use it with others.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

This confirms my inkling. Black knit all the way. WHITE OCBD shirt. White linen or cotton hank with a TV fold. Also, this latest picture of the jacket makes it look almost like a denim-style weave. If so, you could even try white jeans for a more SW&D approach.

3. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

@macjedi , I wear my gray wool challis all the time with patterned blue, green, and brown jackets (not so much solid navy). I think it helps when the tie is darker than most mid-light gray trousers, which yours certainly is, so if it's me, I buy it.

Claghorn's the thread's chief advice-giver, though, so I'd let him or someone else more senior (sartorially, not necessarily chronologically) weigh in.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Thanks sugarbutch! I WILL DEFINITELY GIVE IT A GO! Looks like my wife's in for a fashion show ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Spending the morning with my 3 year old at Daddy day at her preschool. Completely awesome, even after she accidentally got purple paint in her hair and on her pink bow. Mom was surprisingly cool about that.

Spending a few hours with my 6 and 3 year old at the local elementary school's science night. Once again a blast.

Realizing that my 8 year old can now consistently beat me at Mario Kart and there is no letting her win anymore. [​IMG]

Realizing that I'll only get 3 hours sleep tonight and have been averaging only 3-4 hours sleep per night for the last few weeks due to work and refusing to let it interfere with family. [​IMG]

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

B = Much better

7. Xposure

Xposure Member

I am going to start a casual pants wardrobe from scratch. By casual, I mean that I will be wearing them with sweaters, shirts, and occasionally SCs. I live in Norway, which means I need pants for cold winters, hot summers, and everything in between. I am not entirely sure which colors, materials, and brands I should be going for. I have looked at Howard Yount and Epaulet, but I'm open to other suggestions. I can stretch my budget pretty far, if that means the quality increases substantially. Though, I am not willing to go over 300 dollars for each pair.

8. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

I'll stick to winter recommendation since it's on my mind.

Fabrics: My winter trousers are comprised of three fabrics: corduroys, tweeds, and flannels. Heavy cotton twills and moleskin are also good options, but they're currently absent in my wardrobe so I'll leave them out. I also don't consider my flannel trousers to be casual, so they're excluded as well.

SF Affiliates: In addition to Epaulet and HY, NMWA also has some Rotas on sale that fit within your budget range (including a pair of gorgeous racing green cords). If you're comfortable (and patient) with MTO, I'd recommend Luxire, or order RTW and then use that as a basis for future MTOs.

Weight: The fabric weight will determine the trousers utility in colder temperatures. I find that 16 ounces of tweed (a fairly thick and heavy weight) has served me well in temperatures ranging from 4 to -18 (Celcius). Some fabric weights go as high as 20 or 22 ounces, but I have no experience with these.

Corduroys: lower wale count for casual weekends ( <10), and higher wale count for casual days at work ( >12). Some opt to cuff, I have them hemmed without a cuff to keep it more casual. Pairs easily with sweaters and I'll occasionally wear mine with a tweed jacket. I like them in any spectrum of brown and threw in an olive for variety. Fabric swatch images are from Luxire.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tweeds: I have some Dugdale Yorkshire and Molloy & Son tweeds from Luxire which range from 13 to 16 ounces. I love the way the fabric feels with a rough, but comforting texture. The different flecks of color that are noticeable up close add a level of depth to even the most casual pairings. In terms of color, a "latte" offering from Epaulet (currently sold out) is versatile but so is green. If you want to add a little more flair, orange can be stunning. I wear mine with 2 inch cuffs. Fabric swatch images are from Luxire.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

apropos of nothing

[​IMG]

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

He is so awesome.

11. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Thoughts guys? The shirt is off-white - a color I have always avoided but I figured I'd give it a try after Pliny suggested it.

[​IMG]

Jacket, shirt, and pocket square are all Rubinacci. Tie is Sam Hober. I'll try to get a full shot after if I can.

Pocket square slipped out while taking a photo.

Here's the full length shot and closeups: http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/14100#post_7657599

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I have a question based on @Monkeyface 's fit today, which I think looks great. I've always thought that oxford cloth was too casual for a dress shirt with a collar like this and was reserved for button down collars. I've been revisiting this issue since I've switched to Luxire for shirts because it drives me crazy how wrinkled my shirt gets on the thinner fabrics and I love how wrinkle resistant the thicker oxford cloth is. Have I been off base all this time? Do others wear thick oxford cloth dress shirts similar to this? I'm kind of hoping the answer to both questions is "yes."

[​IMG]

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Yes.

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Excellent. I think another Luxire order is in my immediate future.