1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I'm not sure I can explain it to you any better than I have in the last day. If you are still confused all I can recommend is that you re-read what I said. Carefully. Otherwise I can't imagine we have anything further to say to one another on the subject.

2. Caustic Man

I agree with all of this. However, I will say that I do not think anyone you mentioned has been as influential as Manton during the earlier years of the forum. He enjoyed an almost rockstar like popularity here. If you have any doubt about this look at the forums that he still posts in today. As soon as he posts he gets quoted and responded to unlike any other poster that I have seen. While all the people you mentioned are popular, dress well, and are influential, none of them has had the impact of Manton and a few others. Realize that I don't think it's a one man show. He, however, literally wrote the book on CM here on Style Forum.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@kulata, Mr. Six's jacket does not grey to me, so unless it's coming in all wrong on my monitor, I think he's not proving that about grey jackets.

Also, I don't think Pliny's last two points have been debunked / are incorrect unless you assume that the word "always" is in there. While some outfits can look good when jacket is lighter than trouser, in a large majority of successful odd jacket fits, the jacket is darker. Contrast helps in most cases too.

4. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Agreed. Personally, I prefer how the other 3 I named dress though.
    Of course, Alan Flusser wrote several books on CM, including the guide to pattern combinations to which most of us adhere, if not knowingly, and his style is certainly NOT within SF norms.
    As an aside, writing a book on a topic does not make one an expert on it. I could write a book on any number of topics and get it published (and not through vanity press) with ease. Once you have a relationship with a publisher/acquisitions editor it's a breeze. That is why, in my field, writing books holds no stead.

5. Caustic Man

That's true. But Manton is undoubtedly an expert. Then again, Deepak Chopra doesn't seem to be an expert in anything, but I can't count how many books he has published.

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Making money from books and speaking?

3 people like this.
  7. Caustic Man

I might say scamming people and taking advantage of those who want to believe.

8. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I thought Formosa was Noodles' best option because he has generally got the fit dialed in on them. SuSu and others would involve at least one round of trying to get it right.

1 person likes this.
  9. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

An apropos 4000 post, Caustic Man. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. kulata

kulata Senior member

Fix your monitor! :)

Point #2 we have an entire season (summer) and entire regions (tropics) where low contrast pants and jackets are in some cases tradition.
    Point #3 is :censored: ....Do we have to do this again???

11. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Let's be real. He knows his stuff but he didn't reinvent the wheel or anything close to it.

I do think he coined the phrase BlazerSuit (I think the concept is good, but that phrase really blows)

I think a bunch of guys from the "old guard" on SF really knew their shit - a lot more so than I think today's collective bunch does. Not a knock, just the truth.

That's why I think it's really short sighted to continue to credit just one person, or at least make it look that way to an outside perspective.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

True. I am done with Suit Supply. Too many inconsistencies in fabric quality and sizing.

I just ordered a black black suit so I can look like a real Asian! (Joking)

Well, in other news...it is back to playing my acoustic guitar regularly after couple months off. The callous on my finger tips are pretty much gone so that sucks.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  13. Caustic Man

You are absolutely right. That's why I didn't. True, I focused on him almost exclusively, but I was also careful to choose language that suggested that he was not the only one.

14. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

How else are we going to have a thread with 25000 posts?

2 people like this.
  15. Caustic Man

You have just convinced me not to try SuSu. I was strongly considering it.

1 person likes this.
  16. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I truly gave it Suit Supply a serious consideration. This involved at least 5 visits and really going through their inventory and trying on different things. I closed the books on them.

17. Caustic Man

I would have to buy from the internet, sight unseen. Therefore consistency with sizing is of the utmost importance. If I can't determine what does and does not fit me from their offerings then it is useless to me.

18. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

SuSu pants are the worst offenders re: sizing/styling. SuSu odd jackets are ok if you can figure out sizing (their lighter, unstructured summer/spring jackets)

1 person likes this.
  19. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

In that price range, what else would you suggest Noodles and CM?

1 person likes this.
  20. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I have found their online dimensions to be accurate in the items I have tried. Perhaps Noodles is referring to the changes between a given size from one model to the next, which certainly is variable. The fabric quality is pretty clear, to me, based on the information they openly provide (mill/composition/etc).
    Free shipping and free returns, too, if that helps.