1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

B&Tailor makes L&L?
    Love them.

2. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

Can anyone who has done MTM with Kent Wang post a couple of examples? I want to get a Blazersuit made late this spring and his is a very attractive price point.

3. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

- Liverano & Liverano is awesome. All I have seen from them are spectacular and that can't really be said of most tailors.

- Online MTM is a crapshoot if you don't have an ideal body and if the tailor is not willing to replicate an existing garment that already fits well. You can expect your first suit to end up in a trash pile.

- @jfrater should focus more on his Auckland tailor and try Pjohnson, BnT and Liverano when he has the opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Nope, I was saying I don't think anyone recommends L&L because they want to see him in expensive things. No one cares whether he buys a $20k vicuna suit with gold threaded stitching or a $500 suitsupply suit. I don't live vicariously through others, and I don't think anyone else does either.

We recommend L&L, or any good tailor for that matter (like P Johnson), over KW MTM because it's a much less risky option. You're pretty much guaranteed good results. Why fiddle around with a RTW suit that might never fit well, especially when you don't know anything about how a suit should fit, when a tailor can guarantee you a well fitting and tasteful suit?

Self-measured MTM is just not a good option for a newbie. Maybe when he's been wearing suits for a year and knows what to look for he can do that well, but for now, a tailor will make sure he'll get a well fitting suit in a tasteful cloth.

Edit: what Kulata said. Online MTM is a crapshoot. Not worth it if you have the money to pay for real life bespoke.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

This was my first suit with Kent. I'm on the fence about slimming the second one a little bit, so not posting pictures of that one right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. heldentenor

Thanks @New Shoes1 .

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

@MF. Ahhh, sorry I misunderstood you, mayne. I would also definitely agree that online MTM is always a risky proposition.

Fwiw, I dont think that L&L would do a bad job obviously. Im just not sold that result, for one factor or another, would be what he finds himself wanting in the near future. Who knows.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Since I have already said my piece, I will simply second what @kulata said.

Auckland, P Johnson, B&T, and Liverano, or any other tailor of his choosing. Online MTM, especially when you are not shaped like Adonis, just isn't going to fit well, in the absence of really knowing what you are doing.

I have been thinking about this lately--just because something fits, does not mean it is going to look good.

I think having the trained eye of a tailor is really going to help JFrat.

And I hope I am not lumped into the "I want him to spend money on Liverano" camp. Frankly, I am hoping that JFrat avoids spending an unnecessarily large amount of money on stuff that does not fit him well.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did the Inglese shirts work out for you?

And congratulations on the weight loss / rehab. Although I have only had experience with the former (and minor weight loss, at that), beating off both of them is no simple task. Kudos!

9. New Shoes1

Okay, I guess I am posting my second KW suit in the context of asking for advice. This is the square I almost wore today, but something seemed off to my eye. Any thoughts on whether it would have worked?

[​IMG]

10. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior Member

Here here. Should have put this first!

11. heldentenor

I like burgundy or rust squares with green ties. Been throwing in the occasional purple because I like that particular square, but purple can bring up some saturation issues.

I can't get a great read on the square you're wearing, but it looks pretty tonally similar to the tie.

12. New Shoes1

Thanks. I've also got a brown pocket square on the way from ET, hoping it might work well with green ties.

13. macjedi

macjedi Senior Member

I'm also planning on getting a KW suit or jacket in next few months. Kent did my fitting and measurements at the LA trunk show last year, but I didn't take any photos :(

Would you all agree that I should order the trial suit, try it on again, and get feedback here before ordering the MTM? Or would I be better off just going with his recommendations and not fiddle with it? Thanks!

14. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

@jfrater congratulations on the weight loss and rehab. It must have cost an enormous amount of will power and perseverance, so your urge to splurge as a reward for yourself is well justified, I would say!

Interesting discussion, but I'm in the Newcomer/Monkeyface/LEVOOSH camp: if you can afford it, skip the MTM and go with an experienced tailor of good reputation like Liverano. In addition to making a perfect fitting suit, Jfrater can benefit a lot from a tailor who can guide him stylistically.

Without wishing to offend the Kent Wang customers here, but I must admit I have yet to see a KW suit or SC of which I found the styling truly appealing. Some of them may fit very well, but the styling is rather bland, IMO.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored