Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I wish SuitSupply worked better for me. I love the Havana but the R, which fits pretty well through the body, has sleeves that are too long, and the S which has perfect sleeves is too short/too high buttoning point. I might go take a look at their new Mercer cut.

2. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which fit? Havana? Tried one on while I was in Antwerp. Surprisingly decent button stance (they seem to have dropped it lower). Still on the short side but not obscenely so.

3. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I will :)

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

holy cow, somebody has about 20 pairs of incoming shoes at 1k a pop?

That's some unprecedented koppage right there. Hats off.

What was the logic behind it? Is it a total makeover? I presume there's going to be a lot of used shoes flooding the SF market.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Let's just hope they all fit well.

6. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Wow - quite a lot has been said while I was sleeping peacefully in my hotel dreaming about my first fitting today!

I can appreciate all the points made here by everyone. Generally I am a person who is very impatient. If I want something I want it right now. That is the main reasoning behind pre-paying Luxire - so the shirt fabrics are in stock when they start work.

Four months ago my wardrobe consisted of a few pairs of jeans and tee shirts and shirts. mostly ill fitting because I lost a large amount of weight when I went to rehab (to stop drinking). I have always loved menswear but never felt confident enough to spend any money on anything decent.

As a consequence of my new sober life and 30kg less weight I decided to go for gold and live my dream. Sure enough I have made many blunders on eBay (Spoo is going to be partly the beneficiary of those mistakes as I am consigning the errors through him). Because of the errors I decided to seriously get advice from here and not buy things unless you guys had a look over them first.

I have basically replaced all my ties and a large number of shoes. Shirts are on hold for a good fit obviously but all the fabrics I have chosen are the ones you (Claghorn) advised me on a few weeks ago. Until I can get to Italy later in the year those will be my staples. Admittedly I do still have a bunch of shirts coming that I had already ordered but, for the most part, I think they are in fabrics that would be approved of here (they are liveranos and G Inglese shirts).

The best way for me to learn is hands on - so I do think that going the Kent Wang and Luxire way is a good idea at this point. Who knows whether I will replace it all with Liverano or Rubinacci at the end of the year - but I will at least look presentable when I walk through their doors for the first time :)

The advice I have received here has been incredibly valuable (financially too - as I am making far fewer mistakes now) and hopefully some time in the future I will be able to contribute something back.

All in all I feel like I am at the start of the journey and in time will develop my own style - that is going to involve new stuff regardless of what I buy now so why wait? :)

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

As an aside, and Im not accusing anyone of this in specific, but I think sometimes when people see someone spending so freely, its like, hey, lets recommend the most expensive option possible because its really cool to see and Im curious what will happen and dont have the funds to do it myself so Ill tell this guy to do it. Im sure no one here is doing that, and the recommendations are all in good faith, but its worth being mindful of.

Welp, in any case, I think enough ink has been spilled on the L&L dispute, and all sides have made their points well. As usual, I dont think there is a right or a wrong, just different ways to go about things.

Whatever jfrat does, I hope he has fun doing it and is pleased with the outcome.

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I don't think that's the case. Plenty of liverano pics online, so a couple of pics more or less doesn't matter much.

Liverano is just a very good tailor, who will make sure you have a great suit, even if you don't know anything about tailoring. Judging from the fabric choices jfrater has shown us so far, he'll be far better off by letting a tailor make the choices for him than he himself having to pick fabrics and adjust MTM suits according to his own measurements.

Getting a great KW suit takes far more skill than going to a tailor and getting suit made for you. You have to know exactly what looks good on you and why, you'll have to know what to adjust and whether that can be safely done in order to make a suit fit well. You have to pick the right kind of fabrics and combinations, e.g. no smooth worsted peak lapel suit with triple patch pockets and contrast stitching.

All you have to do for a bespoke suit is make an appointment and say: could you please make me a casual navy suit that looks good on me? As long as the tailor is halfway decent you'll end up with something very nice, while the result is by no means guaranteed with a KW suit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

9. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Most are MTO from brands I have tried for size :)

10. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I can assure you I'm having a blast right now :) the weather in Auckland is glorious and I'm having a coffee and smokes outside under Palm trees while I wait to go to the tailor in an hour :)

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Glad to hear! Hope you get some good results at the tailor. Make sure you let him do his thing.

12. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Thanks :) I'll let his good sense overrule my taste in fabric :)

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Gotta luv my wife. She spent the gift card all on some crap from Gucci...in just couple of hours. One item. [​IMG]

@Claghorn
    you katalk'd me...then you stopped.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

14. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

Just to weigh in here. I think the recommendation of L&L is not just because they are the most expensive but because Antonio is an excellent tailor and having the guidance of an excellent tailor is the best way to resolve fit issues, pick fabrics, etc. I think that Patrick Johnson is likely the best alternative for @jfrater based on what I've seen of their work and the benefits of having someone actually see him and the clothes together.

If jfrater is new to menswear, why is it preferable for him to essentially go through an on-line MTM process with Kent Wang which is asking for trouble. While @Claghorn maintains that issues will be ironed out in months, I think that is incorrect. With no one to ever view the garment in person and make adjustments, it is far more likely that issues will never be properly resolved.

It is not a matter of means/ends. As I said above, in my view, jfrater needs serious guidance and to develop a relationship with a tailor who he trusts. No offense intended but the Harrisons Millionaire Fabric he posted above is a very poor choice for a first bespoke commission and in my view at all. A good tailor (a la P. Johnson and Antonio, Mystery Auckland tailor) can be immeasurably helpful in selecting the proper fabrics. Not to say our community isn't helpful, but just from the divergent opinions on this issue it can become confusing as to how to proceed.

While we all have our own experiences with MTM/bespoke and have fun talking about it and diagnosing fit issues on the net, you cannot replace the experience of a well-trained tailor with a good eye overseeing things to make sure that they turn out correctly. In my view, that process is far less risky.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I dont understand, are you saying that my opinion that he hold off on L&L for now is objectively wrong?

Awesome.

Even more awesome.

---

Very good points, LEVOOSH.