1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Well you also take your fit pics at an angle that could be described as the SF equivalent of upskirt, so that's not exactly helping your cause.

2 people like this.
  2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Deleted

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

@The Noodles , I think you have developed a strong grasp of the basics of color, texture, and pattern. You are able to put together very good suit/tie/PS combos all on your own. However, it seems to me that you still have not developed your own sense of style. One who frequents these forums may say that a person dresses like @Claghorn , @VictorSFreturn or @in stitches . Each of these folks has a grasp of the fundamentals but also distinct characteristics that define their own style. These characteristics stem from preferences, background, or downright stubbornness to conform. You have done a whole lot lot conforming but very little standing your ground (not a bad thing for a new poster, but you are seasoned now). I think it's high time that you start experimenting (not with orphaned suit jackets) and coming up with things that define you. I wonder if I am the only one who thinks this.

2 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

By the by, I make this recommendation fully understanding that you are providing a unique situation for this forum. That is to say, you are developing here for all to see, critique on, and examine. That being the case, I think it is a wonderful opportunity to see the evolution of someone developing their own sense of style on a public forum as well. No better time than now.

4 people like this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Noodle: a crotchless trouser from Luxire.

Also, one of the criticisms (which I don't understand) of @in stitches is that his CM game never really coalesced into any "personal style." I've never understood that this is a bad thing. I think it might be true--that, if one were to lay out some items, sans the wearer, we'd be able to say, "oh, that's stitchy"--but that's just a feeling and I'm not sure I can explain it (and therefore trust it). I will say that his MC Casual and SWD stuff seems to convey more Stitchy-ness for whatever reason.

Regardless, developing a personal sense of style is an interesting and somewhat nebulous concept.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

You do make a good point.
    There is no signature Noodles look. But I wonder how I can inject it when I am stuck in a suit. The OJT experiment was just a one time thing. Like @archibaldleach said, I should continue to focus on building up my suit collection. I do not want to divert resources away from that by getting SCS for now.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, it's also tough for you to develop a signature look (not that it's needed) since you've felt you were constrained by your workplace's dress code.

1 person likes this.
  8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't think I've seen pictures of yours pre-tailoring. I think the pic you posted today was a great fit btw

A few for the rack. The navy solaro currently on the site, the wool/cashmere Delfino gunclub, the Caccioppoli glenplaid

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Caustic Man

I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem to be as big a challenge as it might seem (unless there are some rules I haven't ascertained based on how Noods dresses). The variety of suits and ties he has worn would seem to suggest a lot of leeway in the dress code. Even if not, casual clothes are as much a part of style as work clothes and may be a good opportunity for growth. I know it has been discussed before.

Also, on your previous comment, you make a good point about the nebulous nature of personal style. As a counter-point, I might say that even though we may not have developed a rigid definition for the term, it is a real phenomenon. It may present itself as a peculiar quirk such as preferring to only wear spread collards even with SCs, or perhaps simply as seeing something and saying "Oh, I bet (blank) would wear that."

10. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^^ I like the one on the Solaro. (And since the Caccioppoli glenplaid is hanging in my closet, a big "duh" to me.)

11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I am not aware that I have style to begin with, let alone any distinct kind of style. :/

If I were to profess having any kind of distinct style, it would really be about fit, coherency and textures. I like to mix things up a lot item wise, different colors and patterns... so I cant really say I have a specific "look" nor am I convinced that I want one. Eat it, haetrz.

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

Fine, you haz no stile. Happy?

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Your instincts are right here. I do think a "Noodles" look would be cool to see (we probably get it a bit with your evolved and much improved tie wardrobe), but it's also a lot easier to have a signature look when you've had more time (and money) to acquire all of the items you want. I also think that our styles can depict our circumstances. If you wear a suit 5 days a week and dress up for church, that's basically 6 days a week you are in a suit. I suppose you could get a sport coat or two for weekends (I encourage this when the time is right), but suits are a way higher priority and your signature look will probably be suit and tie versus some on here who wear blue odd jackets or tweed regularly. I tend to wear a sport coat and tie to church most of the time since I don't have to dress beyond business casual for work, but if I worked in a place that required suits everyday, I'd wear a suit. My business casual circumstances have made sport coats a higher priority for me than suits. I think your circumstances mean the opposite.

2 people like this.
  14. Caustic Man

Plenty of people have their own style and wear suits almost exclusively.

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Gents, now that I've landed in London, it seems I shall need a rain coat.

Is there really no equal to Burberry's gabardine trench? I don't know if it's classic, or passé..

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

No not really. :(

17. The Noodles

So the things I put together (ties, shirts, PSs, suits, shoes) are subconsciously being put together based on my recollection of what I have seen other members wore?! I picture what I am going to wear the night before but I cannot say whether or not I am subconsciously referencing what I have seen.

I am having a real hard time picking out ties nowadays. Ties that I know would be popular in SF do not appeal to me. Maybe this is a sign of small growth or maybe not. Lately, I have been surfing the web looking for ties that catches my eyes.

18. Caustic Man

It would certainly be interesting to see.

19. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

From what I've seen (lurking more when you first joined and now posting much more regularly), regardless of what you want to call it, I would say you have learned a lot and used this knowledge to figure out what you like and what rules you are comfortable breaking. I'm not sure I could define your style, but, based on my observation, your preferred mode of dress seems to be odd jackets or casual suits when you're in a CM context. The coherence of your outfits and quality of combinations have definitely gone up over time, but generally when I look at your pictures I just see a well-dressed guy. I think that for a lot of us, it comes down to educating ourselves and figuring out a range of preferences for certain things versus a signature look or trait.

Claghorn has his general love of blue jackets and dislike of conservative suiting. I'd say boldness and blackwatch define AAS pretty well (that and the bit loafers). Some of the academic types are really into tweed and corduroy and dislike CBD. Others wear CBD almost exclusively due to office requirements or preference and dislike the more rustic stuff. I'm not sure where I fit into all of this, but I tend to think that I like a lot of things and what I reach for depends more on context versus a strong preference for different things.

1 person likes this.
  20. The Noodles

These are my latest additions but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. These two are just boring ties.

[​IMG]

I picked this cus I pictured the light blue popping out of my mundane navy suits...and I lIke the pattern.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.