1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

I don't care about Manton. I'm talking about James Bond. The character is British to the bone, and someone like that would never wear bluchers with a smooth worsted business suit. It's fine for you or me to do it, but James Bond should not be dressed in that way.

3. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

Are you annoyed he's not in morning dress, too?

Moore, Brosnan, and Craig all wore Italian suits (Brioni, TF/Zegna). Not very British.

4. Monkeyface

Moore should be erased from history. The Brioni suits looked good, the TF ones suck, as they were at least two sizes too small for him. It's too bad a British brand doesn't sponsor/advertise in Bond movies. G&H would perfect, with their military history.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

5. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Not gonna happen. Too much $$$ to be made by TF off of that product placement

6. Monkeyface

G&H is owned by Chinese investors now. I believe they wish to grow their RTW line. Being in Bond would be the perfect ad for them.

7. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

@Monkeyface I'm inclined to agree with you. On the other hand, the original Fleming Bond wore knit ties with worsted suits. Also a sartorial no no. Add to that formal(?) cocktail cuffs and you have a secret agent who doesn't know how to dress properly. ;)

8. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

It would be, but will TF so easily give up its sponsorship? TF has a lot of money and it is the perfect ad for them too.

I think Brioni originally got involved with Bond because the wardrobe people wanted a dozen of each suit for the stunts. There were a lot of them in the movie and the usual bespoke suits couldn't be churned out at that rate. The Bond producers approached Brioni

TF was different though. That was a pure product placement from the TF side. Doubt they'll give that up.

9. Monkeyface

Why on earth would you pay Luxire in advance? It'll take a couple of weeks before your shirt is ready and on its way to India to copy. You're basically giving them a ~$1,500 interest free loan, while you're taking on all the risk.

@elio, you're right about the knit ties. The grenadines he sometimes wore were a better choice.

@jrd, it's all about the money now. Movie budgets are so big that they need the ad money. It's all about who pays the most.

10. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

I have two test shirts from Luxire on the way and a previous one I am mostly happy with - the advance payment is so they will get the fabrics in stock. There is roughly a two week delay for G&R fabrics before the making even begins. I know what fabrics I want so I have essentially paid for that so making can begin immediately when I finalize the fit.

11. Xposure

Xposure Member

I asked a similar question over at the ask a question thread, but I guess I want more views on the matter. I am looking for a shirt which I will be wearing with a navy suit, burgundy grenadine tie, white linen PS, and mahogany shoes. I was previously told that a white shirt would be the best choice, does anyone disagree?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

12. Monkeyface

Light blue, but why are you looking for a shirt for one specific outfit? Just get light blue shirts if you're not sure, it'll look good with nearly any kind of outfit.

13. Xposure

Xposure Member

Well, I don't wear suits on a regular basis, maybe only once or twice or year. Therefore, I only have one suit, and accessories for one suit. Does this light blue shirt from Suitsupply look alright? http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/shirts/...n2=design&prefn3=fit&prefv2=Plain&prefv1=Blue

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

I agree. This is appallingly cavalier of you jfrater. That $1500, invested at say 3%pa over the six-week period it will take before they deliver the shirts, would have paid out at least five bucks in interest.

You should listen more carefully to MF. He's a money man, you know. Has the figures right there in his head, just like that.

15. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

I had a good laugh, reading this. :)