1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you normally just find clothes in your office?

At some point, I'd look in the mirror (not in this thread) decide if you like the combo, and then just wear it.

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Well...I do work in DC...

But thanks for the post. I won't spend too much time on this OJT project for now. I just need to stock up on suits (need to add like 5) and then OJT project is something that I can look into. I am kind of impressed that you guys were able to pick up on the fact that the jacket is NOT a SC. I wasn't trying to fool anyone but just tried.

3. The Noodles

I got ties, jackets, and belts in my office...LOL.
    Sometimes coworkers borrow my beater ties.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Stop throwing on random stuff. Doesn't help anything.

5. The Noodles

I hope this thread (approaching 25,000 posts) really helps someone.

I still have some junk that I bought right out of college when I didn't know anything and all I had was money. [​IMG]

6. venividivicibj

I hope this thread helps you

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. The Noodles

It is.
    Wait a minute, is this thread still alive because...I still haven't learned?

Anyways, I think I've learned a lot on the suit side of menswear and the only thing holding me back is money. I only need to stock up more on suits, some good ties, and some oxford shoes.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are very far from lost. As far as orphans, navy is the best way to go (though still not as good as a blazersuit jacket or a true odd jacket). Keep everything but get something less orphany--that same combo--it'll be great.

You might even think about getting some brown or 나전 (I edited a book on the stuff) buttons for that jacket. The cut is fairly casual. I think it'll pass muster.

3 people like this.
  9. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Sometimes it's important on SF to remind people that generalized preferences--especially those that serve as differentiators between people here and the general population--are still just preferences. The "detail policing" on here can get ridiculous, to the point of spectators telling people that their jackets are obviously orphans simply because they have flap pockets when the jackets were produced MTM or MTO.

Patch vs. flap is a preference. It can be informed by stylistic tradition (e.g. Neapolitan vs. Savile Row vs. northern Italy), but it's not a signifier of inherent wrongness. Greg Lellouche will happily sell you a flap pocket SC or a patch pocket suit. We seem to think he knows what he's doing, so perhaps that's an indicator?

9 people like this.
  10. The Noodles

I appreciate that.
    I believe when I do dumb posts like the one with ZARA jacket, people think I've regressed when I am really just goofing around.

11. heldentenor

Agreed--light brown horn buttons on that jacket and it's a winner.

1 person likes this.
  12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Agreed. You're good at trolling.

3 people like this.
  13. The Noodles

[​IMG]

14. venividivicibj

lol.

If you don't care about details, you wouldn't be on SF. he came asking for details/the traditional answers, so we gave them.

15. heldentenor

I agree about caring about details. It's what makes this fun. I disagree about "patch pocket=SC; therefore, SC=patch pocket" being traditional. It's a dominant preference.

2 people like this.
  16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I would say that if you are going to get an odd jacket MTO or MTM, you want to be conscious of not having it look like an orphaned suit jacket if you can help it. Texture of the fabric, patch pockets and different buttons than you'd typically see on a suit jacket all help with this. I agree that if we start saying anything with flap pockets is an orphan it gets to be a bit absurd, but I think in general the focus on detail is helpful and is precisely what one should expect and want out of a hobbyist forum. I agree that patch vs. flapped is a point of preference vs. a rule, but some jackets would really benefit from some casualizing features to avoid looking like orphans.

FWIW, my DB navy blazer has flapped pockets and metal buttons. My F/W SB one has two patch and metal buttons. My S/S SB one is a RAF blue linen with 3 patch and smoked MOP buttons.

17. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I read your first post this same way.

To put it more bluntly - big difference between understanding preferences and not knowing what you're talking about.

This site has its fair share of both of those.

18. venividivicibj

JW did this actually happen?

For personal knowledge, where is the flapped pocket on a SC a preferred stylistic tradition?

Is a dominant preference not a tradition? Tradition is a customary way of doing something... a dominant preference. Of course you can go against the rules, but he asked for the traditional queues for a odd jacket.

19. venividivicibj

..double pst

20. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I posted last week, but didn't get any feedback here. Should I keep the white MOP buttons or switch them out? Was thinking smoke mop, or maybe tan horn?

Thanks!!

^ Edit: also wanna be able to wear the jacket as a blazer.