Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

+1
    Black shoes are great with suits. I can't say the same for odd jackets/pants.

2. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Hey guys. Pretty much all of my shoes would be considered sleeker and should be worn with suits. So I guess when I wear an odd jacket and pants, I am not doing it right! For non-suit, casual outfits, what do you think about these offerings from Panta? I like the chunkiness of these Budays and am thinking they could work well with a more casual outfit. I don't currently own anything suede, so that's a high priority right now and the whiskey shell is just awesome . Thoughts? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Those both look great. Suede in a balmoral/oxford makeup is versatile; I think it works with suits and with less formal attire, whereas the suede Buday is very country. Were it me, I might get a suede balmoral like a Crockett and Jones Westminster and grab those calf leather Budays.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whiskey shell is beautiful, but I'd say get the suede in something a little sleeker to increase its versatility (as the suede already brings a nice casual factor into the equation).

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I definitely have more brown shoes than black shoes, probably 4 to 1, but there is no question that for the ensembles where I wear the black shoes, brown would have been a poor choice.

6. Claghorn

I think this is generally true. There are plenty of outfits where wearing black instead of brown would have been sub-optimal, but few where they would actually be bad. However, the reverse isn't true. Often, when black is the optimal choice of shoe color, brown wouldn't have just been sub-optimal, it would be downright poor.

Which is probably why (most) everyone's first shoe should be black. Though if you can anticipate what you'll be wearing well enough, and you're confident you'll never be in an outfit which calls for black, I suppose a brown balmoral is a good first shoe as well.

More often than not, though, I'd say black.

7. in stitches

Hmm, I think it depends on your general style, but I would still say a brown shoe would be a better first purchase than black. Although your "(most)" would imply that you agree with that. Scratch that. You really should buy one of each to start with.

I also think there are definitely fits where a black shoe instead of a brown would be poor.

8. Claghorn

But you only have one! My one would definitely be brown. But I know what I wear.

9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

10. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Wouldn't one black and one brown shoe look really odd? :rimshot:

11. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Wearing black shoes today (for the first time in several weeks [​IMG])

[​IMG]

13. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

I appreciate the feedback guys. In terms of brown suede, I'll check out some more versatile options. I'd been pondering a suede double monk and even a plain chukka boot as well.

I have one pair of black captoes that haven't been worn more than once in the past year. I really think they're there solely for funerals or interviews. In any business dress occasion where black may be considered, I have always opted for burgundy in its place.

14. in stitches

I meant as a rough ratio. I have 3 pairs of black shoes, and I think about 7 pairs of brown and 1 burgundy. I wear the black shoes a handful of time a year at most. Well, besides every Shabbos that is.

And therein lies the beauty.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I like suede chukkas with casual jacket fits. Medallion cap toe suede balmorals work really well as well. I've never gotten into suede wingtips as they look too busy to my eye. I also seem to have an odd aversion to suede bluchers for dress situations for the same reason, but I think that is my own personal quirk. As for color, I recommend getting both a snuff suede and a dark brown suede option.