Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, I just don't like the concept of black cap toe derbies. Black is the most formal colour for shoes, so they're a little in between everything, a mix of formalities. It's a little like a tweed navy pinstripe suit. Brown cap toe derbies are fine though. Anyway, I was advising him he might as well go for oxfords the next time he's looking to buy shoes. Seen as Rudals didn't know the difference between derbies and oxfords, I thought it would be helpful if he at least know what it is.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might have a negative view of them because people who wear ill fitting polyester suits with terrible ties also tend to wear black cap toe derbies around here, while people in very nice suits and ties tend to wear black cap toe oxfords. It's almost like a class divider. Kinda weird, because oxfords don't cost more than derbies.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

2. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

@Monkeyface
    That was actually very helpful. Looking back at my shoes, I see the difference. But I don't think I will ever understand why it would not be the best style to complement a CBD. I just will never get it. But I'll get an Oxford next time.

Thanks! [​IMG]

3. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I like them. I've found the Macneil to be a great fit for me personally. Seeing them in Suede like that makes me tingle. They look to be in good condition other than maybe a little dirt by the eyelets but that could be a shadow. I like those a lot the more I look at them. I don't know that I've ever seen suede longwings.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Luv, as ever this is just my perspective. The whole cuts can look sleek, but that is why I like em in a balanced rota. I was only trying to find a balanced staple set to offer as many options possible with as little outlay. Those suede AE ^, for me no. Reason, they appear to be a sticking plaster buy, which if I remember correctly got you here, in general, in the first place. They do not work on a number of levels. When the time is right for you to buy shoes buy new, buy the best you can and don't buy compromise.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I'm with you. A minimalist formal shoe, in a fundamentally less minimal and less formal structure.

Do not underestimate the memory-boosting power of physical punishment.

Noodles, you really are an arse. $700? Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they're blake stitched and not glued together - I can't tell from the picture, only that they're not welted. And let's assume that the leather is really OK - looks awful in the promo pics, ironically, yet quite nice on your feet. And let's call those lasts "contemporary Italian elegant", and not "pointy fashion".

$700 is serious shoe money. It's discount Edward Green (or Stitchy's favourite G&G). It's full price hand-made Laszlo Vass semi-bespoke in shell cordovan. $700 for anything less than "WOW" is foolish. Don't expect congratulation, any more than you should now expect it for paying bespoke prices for RTW suits that don't fit.

Anyway, we will get t your shoes. For now, LTBR needs to be re-shod. And he only spent $300, and his shoes are better.

7. TweedyProf

Um...weren't you going to hold off on buying? Plan first, I say.

8. TweedyProf

Gentle, Mimo. He knows. New Rudals must live with Old Rudal's choices. New Rudals will also make much better choices. Aging can be a lovely thing sometimes.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Not yet. I'll get it if I still want it a week from now.

Indeed, that's exactly what I meant to say. It needed to be pointed out in order to prevent future $700 mistakes.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Quite right. It was just his response: "yes but they cost $700", that indicated the need for remedial correction.

11. TweedyProf

LR2B: this is a good strategy (+ a bit of knowledge to put you in the right place in the first place).

12. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

This

13. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I have a bead on some that are brand new. However if they are wrong for other reasons as well, then no problem. Also, you are right to stay my hand as I often have a kopping problem that led to this mess. If it's not too much trouble could you point out some of the specifics of what is bad about them so that I can train my eye?

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

well, that is not entirely true. C&J makes the marlows/darltons and those are regular polo brand, so i guess RLBL?

anyways, i fell way too far behind to be useful here now, i hope to be better and back on my game next week.

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

We miss you, stitchy! I look forward to any advice you may provide in the future.