Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.
Good choice. Looking forward to seeing the result.
@jfrater I've got two Kent Wang suits and here is what I would recommend:
- Go with the soft shoulder. The standard shoulder is okay, but not anything special. When I asked about the roped shoulder a year ago, Kent did not have any pictures of it, so I have no idea how it looks.
- Go with limited pick stitching. The extensive pick stitching is way over the top.
- Absolutely go full canvas.
- The wide lapel is really, really wide. It's 4.25 inches, whereas the standard lapel is 3.5 inch. I have both and am leaning towards the standard lapel on the next one because I feel 4.25 inches is a little too much.
- Both of my suits are the 2 button model, but I will likely go 3 roll 2 on the next one after seeing a picture where it looked much nicer IMO.
- On your first suit, give yourself a little room in your final modifications. If it's a little long in the pants or sleeves or big in the chest, you can take it to a tailor to modify. If you end up a little short or tight in those categories, you've got a suit that you may not be able to wear.
@Pliny has suits from Kent Wang as well and may also be able to pass along some helpful hints.
4.25 inch lapel is pretty normal sized for a US42R in my experience and it's far from wide.
Yep, nothing out of the ordinary.
People from UK, do you get taxed ordering from Exquisite Trimmings?
To the best of my knowledge, Outside of the EU we get charged import duty and a release fee for anything between £12 and £120. Additional customs charges for anything over £120.
In my experience though, some things get through and some get charged
ET is based in London, so you'll be paying VAT, just like on any other purchase.
Right I just saw they were UK I meant on top of the listed price. Just bought some stuff I'm so bad.
Macjedi - Hober untipped are great for summer.
Black shoe hate is beyond moronic. There are no words.
I'd say unequivocal hate for most anything is moronic. But yeah, black shoes should get more love than they do. I have a pair of black captoe bluchers that I should make an effort to wear more often, especially the rare times that my outfit has no brown and is entirely blue based.
What about black penny loafer hate?
Agreed. Its also often ideal with a gray suit fit.
I love me some black oxfords and monks.
I hate morons!
The only time I wear black shoes is at funerals. I never have black tie events. I don't hate black shoes, but in any other situation where black shoes are appropriate, I find brown the better option. TweedyProf would say 'optimal'.
Thanks! Would you say the finer textures are better for summer than say grossa, or is it just preference. I think the chunkier weaves might took outta place with summer weight fabrics, but I could be wrong.
Btw, I only have 1 pair of black shoes… captoe bals, but I'm glad I have them! I'd like to get a blucher and a boot at some point. Thanks again!
Separate names with a comma.