1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Who tends to have more money, fat old dudes, or mid 20 year olds?

Whether you like their attitude or not (and their attitude is indeed wrong), there is a legitimate reason behind it.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Mid 20 year olds!
    - They can max out credit cards!
    - They have no mortgage!
    - They have no wife!
    - They have no children!

I love this tie that Vanda just put up.
    [​IMG]

3. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Generalizations about MBA programs abound! FWIW, when comparing tier 1 to tier 2 (I don't know what rankings number, or from which source, separates these groups, but I'm sure it's not 15) median salary might be the main KPI but I think it's probably ultimately less meaningful than salary range or distribution. At the top schools the salary range will be much tighter and the distribution will cluster around the median, whereas at a tier 2 school one guy comes out making the same as someone from HBS but some of his colleagues get $60k,

Also, the rumour that b school is less work than other programs I personally found 100% true. My masters was at least twice as much work as my MBA.

1 person likes this.
  4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

If everyone in the world acted like you
    #1 the Internet would be more entertaining
    #2 SAs wouldn't stereotype

1 person likes this.
  5. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

6. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Through a fabric mixup at Southwick, I'm now the owner of a Navy DB 6x2 linen suit with a welt breast pocket, open patch side pockets and white MOP buttons.

In keeping with their great customer service, Epaulet has offered to let me keep the suit at cost and is reordering it in the right fabric.

So, now that I have this, I'm wondering what I should do with it. I have a SB Navy linen suit with white MOP buttons which I like, but with the 6x2 the white is a bit much with the navy. Should I switch out the buttons to smoke mop or something else? Also, would removing the 2 top buttons be something to consider? I kinda like the idea of a 4x2 DB.

Thanks!

7. cakv

cakv Senior member

Pictures!

8. cakv

cakv Senior member

That was funny as hell [​IMG]

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Now these are nice looking trousers. BNT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  10. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

How can a tailor expect to attract customers with shots like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. cakv

cakv Senior member

Seriously...Who are they made by? What do you think if there were to be fabric side tab adjusters added onto them(as opposed to the button ones? Maybe shorten the button tab of the waist by 1". Imagine these with forward pleats instead! oh boy oh boy.

12. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

A friend of mine is the manager of the Tiffany's in Greenwich, CT and she was telling me last week that Wang Jialin (one of the wealthiest Chinese billionaires) came in the store with 6 bodyguards and handed a salesperson his business card and started looking around...the salesrep didn't bother to look him up or anything and gave him no service...all while my friend was upstairs in her office unaware that he was downstairs...he left without saying another word and didn't purchase anything...

Later the salesperson gave my friend the manager his business card and when my friend looked him up...she called a meeting and chewed out every salesperson in the store...

Airhead...

4 people like this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

My guess is that they think that they're dressed as their customers dress (or want to dress). They seem to be doing okay with this approach.

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

I actually dont hate the 2 looks in that last pic. Super non SF, and not how I would dress, but its spot on for the current in fashion GQ look. And I think its kinda cool in a way.

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

A tailor's sense of style is less important to me than how their clothes fit. I can dictate the styles I want to them. I can't make them better tailors.

4 people like this.
  16. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Light was going, but here's a pic …

[​IMG]
    Thanks!!

17. in stitches

@ CM - A really good point in a vacuum. Lol imagine if we all lived in vacuum cleaners. But, often a tailor will impose his sense of style on his work, like a barber who decides to cut your hair how he likes it. So, it does kind of matter how much you agree on style, because it often creeps in in some way.

1 person likes this.
  18. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Let me put it to you this way, my tailor and I have a very different sense of style. It matters less that we dress similarly than that we understand one another. After going to him for some time I can walk into his shop and not have to say a word about what I want to have done to an item. He just goes to work. I give him feedback on how it feels, if it's too tight/loose etc. But he knows how I like things. I had a custom jacket made by him recently with very little feedback at all. As you might guess, it was spot on. This kind of relationship isn't built overnight. When I first started going to him there were misunderstandings, miscommunications, etc. But it's about building a rapport over time. His style matters very little in what he does for me because we have an understanding. I'm not trying to make it sound like I have found some magical unicorn, it's just a simple human business relationship based on the trust that has been generated by getting to know one another on a professional level.

3 people like this.
  19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wish I dressed half as well as mine.

20. in stitches

Thanks, man.

CM, sounds like you have a good situation going there.