Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Some amazing advice here! Thanks guys

2. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Ok I'll take your advice and see what happens when my MTO shoes arrive. I have mostly suede coming and a couple of more novel pairs

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I've been following this thread closely, but do not contribute too frequently. Just wanted to echo some of the other posters in one regard--

Accumulate slowly. I do not think I wear one thing that I purchased when I started down this road. Your tastes will change, and the only way to really figure out the holes in your wardrobe is to wear what you own, and go from there. People can recommend that you buy x, y, and z, but you are going to have to figure out if YOU want to purchase these items.

You certainly have the quantity. Now is the time to slow down, and purchase what you need rather than what is on sale, or what is a good deal. No need to compromise at this point.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015

4. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Excellent advice - I suspect this will also correct my lopsided walk!

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably sound advice. But this thread allows you to accumulate quickly without making mistakes.

Without.

Making.

Mistakes.

And I am totally unbiased in saying this.

Totally.

Unbiased.

6. Claghorn

Also, no idea about their quality, but I just picked up some camel flannel trousers from Spier and Mackay for 55 dollars including shipping (they list prices in Canadian dollars, so it ended up being cheaper than expected). For that price, I figured it was worth the experiment.

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I believe it was Kulata who spoke highly of them. I was thinking about grabbing a pair.

8. Claghorn

Given their prices during the sale, now would be the time. I only wish they had something in gray my size (other than the nailhead). Shit. Man. Maybe I should have gotten the nailhead as well. Not sure what kind of odd trousers they'd make though.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Nothing good in my size....just checked. I looked at the nailhead, but don't think they would make for good odd trousers.

10. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

@Claghorn The trousers in the picture I posted above with the EB boots is the camel flannel from S&M. The construction is not on par with Epaulet/HY/Luxire, but neither is the price. The value is great. It's a light to mid-weight flannel and it's held up well over the past two months. The fit is similar to HY's Italy (older style) cut with a mid-rise. I think they're looking to upgrade buttons in its next iteration and make a few more improvements. The owner, Rikky, is really responsive to feedback too.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I am going to side with Newc here. Its more than being about just not making mistakes. Its also about finding your groove and personal style.

While most of the recommendations given here would not be "mistake" purchases, they are all also pretty dependent on the style/eye of the recommender. Besides buying good items, its just as important to buy items that you like and that jive with how you want to look. No one really wants to be a mannequin put together entirely by other people, devoid of the ability to dress on their own and like it.

Culling and adding slowly will allow one to not only buy good practical items, it will also allow them to develop an eye on their own of what they like within the boundaries of good practical items, as there are no shortage of them.

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

That is tempting. Any idea on how their trousers fit? Anyone?

Cheers,

Ac

13. Claghorn

I'm aware that newc is right. But the world is a more fun place if he's wrong.

That being said, threads like this make such binge buying sprees less dangerous than they once were.

@Kulata on the SM pants?

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Thanks stitchy! Ill probably go for a stripe gren.

Not sure i totally believe in this, but thanks.

Also not a job interview. It's for school! I just fixed this suit up and want to wear it :)

Side note might try to wear a white ps at my interview in Miami!

15. Siepi

Siepi Active Member

@Academic2 , @Claghorn
    I'm not @kulata and I don't have many comparisons I can draw to pants sold by other SF affiliates (or to SM's slim fit, for that matter), but I can say that SM's contemporary fit are the best OTR pants I've found so far for builds with larger thighs and rears. I ordered a pair of the mid-grey flannels, and as @LoKey stated, the material feels great for the price. My only beef is that the inseam was too short for me (reasonably tall at 6'3") to put cuffs larger than 1.5" on.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015