Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Hey Clags, do you know whether the guys who needed shoes for interviews got any?

2. Pliny

Pliny Distinguished Member

3. wchudnow

wchudnow Member

I'm at a loss regarding the meaning of this thread but some great ties cropping up. Keep it going.

4. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

If you want to a counterpoint you should check out some bodybuilding forums. I would say my experience, anyway, of women interacting with each other, has not been vicious in that way. Most viciousness I've seen has to do with some kind of conflict where the effective if not literal presence of men is a big component.

I think women's fashion isn't set in one place because it changes so much more than men's.

5. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

In the process, as we speak, of sorting P & P. He seems a nice guy. He's got two pairs from me, tan/brown derby and chestnut brogue, inbound.

Frees up two places in the stable... :nodding:

6. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

7. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

I'm not a thrifter at all, but somehow I do enjoy browsing Ebay for ties when I have time. (Possibly therapeutic...) And with patience — and luck — it's possible to find some really nice ones now and then.

But isn't it that we consider them badly dressed precisely, or at least partly, because they wear those colours? Bit of a chicken egg story? My guess is, colours like yellow, red and mauve etc. don't work because a) they don't flatter any compexion and b) they create too jarring contrasts with 'typical' shades of grey and navy etc. But, that's nothing more than my guess.
    Whether you like his style or not, Luca avoids these jarring contrasts by avoiding the typical business shades of grey and navy altogether. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SeaJen

SeaJen Distinguished Member

That is so generous. Well done, Cleav (and Clags for bringing it to the forum's attention).

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

3 and 4 are also good. 2 as well probably (though I don't wear navy neats since Inrately wear gray suits). Colorwise, I dislike the idea of a tie "popping." I like subtle. And the yellow and lavender just aren't that. Anyway, what sets those apart is going to be color rather than pattern or material.

The lavender is better than the yellow, which I don't think looks good, generally, against white OR blue, though for different reasons.

An aside: before I read that it was what I had recommended, I thought to myself, "oh, six is nice." So at least I'm consistent!

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

This.
    The yellow one is the only one I take issue with, and its due to the color. The rest, including the lavender, are all fine, imo.
    Certainly works better with other pastel colors, and I think his skin and hair color do alright with the bright colors he wears. Its certainly better than trying to get a yellow tie to work with non pastel colors.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

By a bit below a suit and tie, are you thinking odd jacket and tie? I think in general that you should not have to adapt what you wear to be closer to another person in terms of formality but should rather dress for the broader situation. It's one thing if you don't want to be the only guy in a restaurant or theater wearing jacket and tie but quite another if you are dressing down to match the other guy on a double date. As long as you are dressed elegantly and appropriately for the situation within reason, I don't think there's much more thought that needs to go into it.

12. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

13. Kira

Kira Senior Member

Besides Purseforum, there is The Fashion Spot. You can apply, but you'll be placed on a waiting list. Isn't @EliodA 's wife a designer herself? She may be accepted faster than any regular IGent.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/join/

14. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

That's impressive, very generous Cleav!

15. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

very generous indeed