Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is also the herringbone wool from Sam Hober. Brown with flecks of of orange-brown.

2. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I must have this tie! Where did you get it?

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'm curious is there a styleforum advice thread on what to wear on dates or non-interview meetings so as to seem nice/project right image, but not overdress, feels like that's the kind of thing people mess up. I think I might be on some kind of double date kinda thing and I'm not sure what the policy would be. I'm guessing it'd be a good idea to dress on the level the other party dresses right?

4. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, guys.

If I may clarify a bit more, I'm looking for something as solid as possible. Wooly, but solid. It will be worn in contexts where the jacket, not the tie, should be the center of attention.

Cheers,

Ac

5. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I would say to dress how you want to represent yourself. Bearing that in mind, and the place of the date I wouldn't worry about blending in.

6. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Here's a few options:

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties/Brown-Pure-Wool-Donegal-9cm-Tie.html

http://www.thearmourystore.com/cate...007-wool-silk-woven-brown-hand-rolled-8cm-tie

http://www.thearmourystore.com/cate...002-wool-woven-dark-brown-hand-rolled-8cm-tie

http://www.thearmourystore.com/categories/ties/tie-your-tie-settepieghe-41051-70-wool-30-silk-tie

I think the 3rd might be your best bet.

7. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I don’t think such advice would be possible. Appropriateness of dress is a social concept, and it’s specific to individual times, places, and social contexts.

Are you going to the opera? To a wrestling match? (Rhetorical question.)

Well-dressed people are observant; in your world how do people dress when engaged in the activities you have in mind?

A lot of dressing better consists of becoming a better observer, both of oneself and others. Actually, that’s true of a lot in life apart from dress, too.

Cheers,

Ac

8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I agree with all those things, and I think I have a good idea of what is appropriate but I imagine lots of people who mess that up also THOUGHT they had a good idea of it. You of course need to know the context, but I'm guessing a person can describe the situation to solicit advice.

Anyway it's to see a play in London and dinner somewhere in soho, and I think I'd usually wear something a bit below a suit and tie in formality to those, but I'm pretty sure the other party will be dressed in notably less formal clothing so that sounds like it'd be a bad idea.

Also, can anyone recommend a good alterations place in London and/or Cambridge?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Are there any equivalents of SF for women?
    Actually it's my wife who wants to know. I think she's getting a bit fed up with taking lots of photos of me, watching me edit and post them, and then check excitedly for comments and thumbs.

OTOH - and here I'm undoubtedly straying into sexist badthink - I doubt that an all-female website could maintain the level of camaraderie and mutual respect so evident on SF. I suspect all the less desirable aspects of human nature would come into play pretty quickly. I base these viciously misogynistic predictions on what I've observed - at a distance, of course - of women interacting with each other socially when there are no men around.

I would be delighted to be proven wrong. Anyone got some good links?

10. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You mean like how well men get along on the site that DC links to from time to time?

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

2nd hand from Ebay

12. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Ah - it appears I may have found something very close which I have purchased :)

13. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

M'aidez! Today's outfit did not go down well - with particular focus on the yellow tie I wore. Someone said it was old fashioned and the color bad. So, I need some help. I have six ties like the one I wore today (including the one I wore today) and to be honest I can't really tell what the problem is. In this group of ties all but tie number six are my ties from before I started asking for help here. Tie number six is one that @Claghorn recommended in this thread the other day with a bunch of others. I bought it and it arrived today. I love the shade of green. But I am not sure I can really tell what is superior about it to the others. Can someone please explain? Tie 1 is Kiton. Two to five are Marinella. Tie two is navy - it's a bit hard to tell with the lighting sorry.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Purse forum?

15. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

All are fine, IMO, but the yellow one will be difficult to rock as bright yellow is not easy to pair. I bet Tira could do it, though.