• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my eye oxblood is a dark burgundy.

I think it's actually quite versatile, working in many of the same contexts where a dark brown would work. I especially like it with navy.

I've got a pair of dark burgundy Bluchers, and would like at some point to get a pair of Oxfords.

Cheers,

Ac

jfrater

Reaction score
Here's the full length.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes, but closer to brown than red.
Thanks! As with most #8 shoes, and the burgundy family in general, it seems to me that the red comes out more in natural light. But I think you make an important point, which is that "red" shoes are arguably really brown shoes. jfrater's vintage cherry G&G's show that off.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To my eye oxblood is a dark burgundy.

I think it's actually quite versatile, working in many of the same contexts where a dark brown would work.  I especially like it with navy.

I've got a pair of dark burgundy Bluchers, and would like at some point to get a pair of Oxfords.

Cheers,

Ac

True enough

Can dissolve to black too

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Even as a non-German speaker I pretty much get his meaning, but then I hold him responsible for our soulless Modern cityscapes, so I don't much care for his aesthetics.

.....t the argument from symmetry doesn’t work.

Cheers,

Ac

I like the way u think Ac, but I don't think the explanation for your distaste is physiological; .. it could be cultural cos u associate them with cheap biz shirts in clear hard plastic boxes overflowing the sale bins.

But I associate the navy pencil stripe (or green's a nice casual option Ive seen used to good effect) with sophistication. Sometimes it's really the best option IMO with certain types of checked SC - some gunclubs, for example. They're a patterned shirt, but not too patterned.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
@EliodA Even as a non-German speaker I pretty much get his meaning, but then I hold him responsible for our soulless Modern cityscapes, so I don't much care for his aesthetics.

@Academic2

I like the way u think Ac, but I don't think the explanation for your distaste is physiological; .. it could be cultural cos u associate them with cheap biz shirts in clear hard plastic boxes overflowing the sale bins.

But I associate the navy pencil stripe (or green's a nice casual option Ive seen used to good effect) with sophistication. Sometimes it's really the best option IMO with certain types of checked SC - some gunclubs, for example. They're a patterned shirt, but not too patterned.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like oxblood, been looking to get one eventually. I tend to think they go well with broguing, like an Oxford or balmoral boot. Some of alden's shell jumpers have been appealing to me too.

My tie is from Kent wang, and I think someone else has posted it here recently too. Tis a nice tie.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. Especially with pink: When you want it to work it must be so very pale. Same with Lavender, and a good selection of blues.

As @sugarbutch already noted: even if you don't care much for those colour theories about matching your clothes to your complexion, for shirts it is important since they're the closest thing next to your face. (Light) blue is flattering to almost any complexion, white is already a bit more problematic. Pink is more difficult again, and if you don't have a very high contrast complexion, it should be pale. I'm fortunate to have a complexion that allows a bit more freedom, and I like pink that is a bit more saturated:

IMG_7666.jpg

But, like @The Noodles , I must stay away from anything like sand, beige or light grey, because it makes me look seriously ill. Then again, I can't think of any complexion type that does go well with those hues....

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@EliodA Even as a non-German speaker I pretty much get his meaning, but then I hold him responsible for our soulless Modern cityscapes, so I don't much care for his aesthetics.

True that!
biggrin.gif
You're probably right about the cheap biz shirt association too. At least, it plays a role I guess.

Re. shoe colour: am I the only one here who strongly dislikes (navy) blue shoes?

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

True that! :D You're probably right about the cheap biz shirt association too. At least, it plays a role I guess.

Re. shoe colour: am I the only one here who strongly dislikes (navy) blue shoes?

I've considered blue.

Suede, summer, chukka but not pulled the trigger

Will probably one day, C & J Newquay I think...

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True that!
biggrin.gif
You're probably right about the cheap biz shirt association too. At least, it plays a role I guess.

Nope. I don't understand why ppl like them at all. I'm talking CM here. Cas blue suede is kewl

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was just commenting on the base colors (as they appear on my monitor which may be different than yours) not the quality of shirt or material.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but all those colors are bad.

---

Jfrat, I am having a hard time with that jacket, especially with a tie.

Kira

Reaction score
What do you guys think of wearing dress boots for business wear?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads