1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Click the post number and then click whatever icon your browser has for favorites. That will bring you directly to the post in the future.

I would not quite say that they are my favorite, but I do like them just as much as my evenly spaced that my, and find them to be just as useful as a striped shirts where the stripes are an equal width.

Also, it was nice to see that the selection of patterns that we chose for jfrat were quite similar.

2. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

»Symmetrie ist die Ästhetik der Dummen.«
    — Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

[​IMG]

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Yup. I bought some and someone took them!
    But in all seriousness, what's wrong with having them on wire hangers?

Also, SF has a strong liking to blue based shirts. Am I wrong?
    What is another good color for shirts? I think I am covered on blue based shirts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Does that "someone" happen to share your bed? My someone does the same thing.

We do like blue shirts. I like white shirts, too, but I need to refresh my selection. My Hemrajani stuff is just about worn out, and the Luxire replacements were the first order I had with them. Measurements, collar details, and fabric are less than ideal, so I need to order more with the current template. Other than white, there's pink, maybe lavender, but all the other colors veer toward tier 3 levels of usefulness. They can be done well, but few people manage to do so.

5. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

Me too. White with thin blue stripes is the most common pattern among those of my patterned shirts which I wear with a tie.

Cheers,

Ac

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

What happened?

7. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

Does skin tone enter into the equation for you? Is this something that should considered when discussing a basic business wardrobe?

For example, I've never liked the way pale pink looks on me because it's almost exactly what my skin tone is. Rightly or wrongly I seem to want a greater degree of contrast.

I remember you remarking once over on WAYWRN that white shirts often look better on those with darker skin (I agree; it can be a beautifully dramatic look against darker skin, although unlike some I white is still O.K. for other skin tones). Any similar observation about lavender?

Cheers,

Ac

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I can't speak for SB, but it's a process. I'm on my fourth Luxire shirt and still tweaking fit details as well as completely undecided on collar preference. Pictures of the two collars I've experimented with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I know that I look my sharpest in a white dress shirt. It must be an Asian thing.
    But looking at the colors available, even ones below, I am having trouble picturing myself in anything other than a white or a baby blue. I might do a light gray. I know pink is useful if done right.
    [​IMG]

10. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

@Claghorn Thanks for that large list! I have queued them all up on Luxire for purchase once my next shirt arrives from there if it meets my requirements :)

11. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

In my opinion collar one fits you better, handles a tie better, and has beautiful curves. Collar 2 looks like a regular old collar to me from any RTW shirt.

12. in stitches

Damn you jfrat, this whole shirt business made me by another shirt from STF. You owe me money you somamabish!

13. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Haha just feel consoled that this thread in general has me leaking money like water :) incidentally - what's STF?

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I used shirts I owned as the basis for the measurements, with some changes. I chose a fabric I don't really love, and I spec'd an unfused, unlined collar. Not for me. Since that first order, I've also lengthened the points on my collar and increased the height of my collar band.

I don't give skin tone much consideration for the other parts of the wardrobe, but shirts are right up against the face. I think it's a legitimate consideration for that element.

Almost all of those are far too saturated.

15. in stitches

That would be shopthefinest.com. I would say 90% +/- of my dress shirts are from there.