1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I am looking forward to the brown one. It should come this week.

I like this from Exquisite Trimmings.
    [​IMG]

This one from ET would go nicely with a gray suit, not sure about navy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

A week away from styleforum makes for a daunting return. Skimming through I see that I missed a debate about bit loafers. I've owned a few different pairs, but have never been comfortable wearing them, but I will be at a society wedding in a few weeks in which most of the guests will undoubtedly be wearing them, at least for brunch if not for the wedding itself. Since many of those people are worth 10s and 100s of millions, it certainly isn't a symbol of wealth...they don't even think about how much something costs, it is simply part of the uniform.

Oh, and I have a recent Wu. I like it a lot. Very well made, great fabric. I haven't noticed any uneveness, but I'll check. Not inexpensive, of course.

And finally, while I am not a fan of bit loafers, I love other loafers, especially tasseks.

3. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

[​IMG] Clags, great idea for thread. I have this last tie from NMWA. Bigi. Ties a great knot and became an instant favorite of mine. Looks great with navy. Thought's of it with grey suit and blue shirt? If so, go dark brown shoes?

1 person likes this.
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Lol, that's exactly why it's a symbol of money. If rich people wear them, because it's part of the uniform, it'll become a status symbol and those without money will wear them as well, so that they appear to belong to the same group.

It's mostly a US/new money thing though. You don't see many bit loafers in the old world, and rightly so. It's a tacky piece of jewelry on your feet.

1 person likes this.
  5. The Noodles

Did anyone listen to @Claghorn and get some pants from Kent Wang?
    I wore out my beater pants and I am wearing a real tight HUGO BOSS trousers. But I am really liking the charcoal gray color.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No charcoal odd trousers! It can look ok with a tan jacket, but that's it. Get medium and light grey.

1 person likes this.
  7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Oh, he does....

8. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

What I meant was that those people won't be wearing them to signal or demonstrate their wealth, they just wear them because everyone they know wears them.
    What struck me most after spending time with them at the fitting for my son's outfit as a page boy was that they simply don't think about the cost of anything. At seemingly any scale, money or the ability to pay merely doesn't enter into it. My wife and I marveled at what that must feel like.

9. The Noodles

I don't mean to stir up trouble but which trousers affiliate was not responsive. Howard Yount is the good one?

10. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I used to work with a tie manufacturer until the end of 2014. They were very well known and made ties for a ton of brands (some SF brands included). It got to the point where all the boss cared about was $$$ in his pocket and didn't give half a shit about my complaints. I've since stopped working with them and manage my own 2 person team now. I said F it and bought a huge table so I can do the cutting myself and have complete control over the quality of my products.

it was quite tedious to set up but I'm happy with how things turned out. I take criticism to heart hence why I suddenly decided to drop them and start from scratch. There was a period of 4-5 months where I had nothing new being made. I now use 3 different kinds of lining (based on weight/thickness) that I sourced from Italy. Light for heavy wovens such as shantung, light-medium for printed silk, and medium for grenadines.

8 people like this.
  11. The Noodles

I still love both of my Conrad Wu ties and will love the 3rd, 4th, 5th....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Noodles HY is not the most reliable vendor. I've placed three orders with him (for five total trousers) and have received two (four trousers). I'll never see the $125 for the other pair.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Noodles

Cr@p. Thank you for the post. I almost placed an order with them. I know there is another vendor who is quite nice. Can't think of the name. EPAULET! I would love a ROTA from NMWA but...$$$$
    [​IMG]

14. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

15. The Noodles

Light gray it is then. Anyone familiar with their sizing? I wear 50R Formosa trousers (a bit loose). That 91.5 cm so I guess I'll go with size 33 from Epaulet.
    [​IMG]

16. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Too small for you. Go with 34...trust me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I am approximately the same waist size as you, maybe a smidge bigger. I wear a 33/34 in the Rudy model (take the seat out for the former, take the waist in for the latter) and a 34 in the Walt model. I prefer the Rudy model. If you are not sure of your size, err on the size of larger. Much easier to take in than let out.

1 person likes this.
  18. The Noodles

Ordered 34. One navy and one light gray.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

What do you plan to wear with the navy?

Just curious.

Cheers,

Ac

20. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Has anyone heard of a brand of ties called Difou that's from South Korea? I ran across them on eBay (they're also on Amazon) and quite liked some of their ties and they're fairly cheap. Here are a few that I liked:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.