Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Try Drake's, Exquisite Trimmings or Hanger Project. One of them might have it.

I have this one too. As TP said, the great thing about these is that you can emphasise one colour over another with the fold if you want to. And these wool/silk ones I love in general because they make such a nice easy puff. They take up a bit of room in the pocket, but it's worth it.

As for the summer/winter thing, I don't buy it - not because I live in endless summer, kind of, but because there are also tweedy country summer clothes and clean, glossy winter clothes. If you were wearing a Fresco sports jacket in August, a lumpy grenadine tie and coarse linen trousers, the texture of this square would be just as perfect as it is with a flannel suit and a challis in January. I think colours and textures are much more important than whether it's wool or silk.....so....

...here we differ, sir! Who says textures aren't allowed in summer? Or indeed on a bright sunny winter day. It's a cheerful colour for a cheerful look, it just needs the right accompaniments, and those don't have to be 20oz tweed and galoshes. Actually, probably better not. Air force blue hopsack blazer and chinos I'm feeling, with a checked shirt for interest, and a thin dark cotton PS?

Awful shirts, awful ties, a few worth saving of each but probably quicker to burn the house down.

Seriously though, as the work and lifestyle demands would suggest, the casual cords/chinos etc. are a nice selection for purpose, most of the more lurid shirts probably work well with some of those and a neutral jacket (no tie), and the occasional suits look pretty unobjectionable from here. With view to academic prestige, some lovely Pingson-esque tweedage and ties are the medium term goal, perhaps with a dose of Flying Monkey-madness for fun. PS's also seem like a lot of volume but little clarity.

But step number one - and this is a genuine emergency for attention right now:

DAMN YOU NEED SOME SHOOZ MAN!

Give me a budget and the size of your best-fitting shoes. I will give you five pairs to complete your basics. This is pretty much my favourite subject. :)

P.S. Nobody ever shows their socks. Good socks are the privilege of a gentleman. Let us think on that too.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The Enabler is scraping by with just the bare 20-30 pairs at the moment, but growth is imminent! Unlike the watches, this interest is more than vicarious. :)

4. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

In that case, since you brought it up, and had you known my collection before, it might be worth mentioning that I spent around 8 Franklin's on socks alone in the last three months. Previously in many shades of black (no ref to that gadawfull book series* intended), with few tans, blues in between, I now possess some pretty nice fare.

* nearly choked to death:

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I get my socks from target.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Yeah, I've already mentioned we need to look at your shoes after your suits. Don't think your miserable hide is done yet. Socks will be included.

7. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Mind = blown

8. conradwu

conradwu Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gold toe, all day, every day

10. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I also get my boxers and my under-shirt from Target. I love Hanes and their no tags!

11. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Very dandy

12. Gianni Cerutti

[​IMG]

And here's a vintage tie my staff that I did a few months ago ... look at the node ... I love it ... and you?

13. aliceaknox

aliceaknox New Member

nice collection of ties.

14. Gianni Cerutti

Thank you for your comment. And let's just think that bespoke only with vintage fabrics still hand-printed many years ago. And we do bespoke for a long time even by mail. Thank you again.

15. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

As far as ties I honestly just thought that if I got every color of the rainbow in every pattern and various fabrics, I would have an awesome collection that could be worn with anything. Then I found SF and realized that the only ones I ever wear are my knits. I will begin working on the two tie homeworks I have received.