1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

Pink and lilac definitely have a place in a 10 shirt rotation if you like those colors, but they are not what I would call essential. You could definitely have a pretty well-rounded wardrobe with 2 white shirts, 6 blue (4 solid or end-on-end; 2 striped), 1 pink and 1 lilac.

I have nothing against light brown stripes, but I wouldn't put them in over pink and lilac in a 10 shirt wardrobe unless you prefer them yourself. You could replace a pink or lilac shirt mentioned above with light brown stripes with no issue, though.

Of course, you could also be extremely well dressed with something like 2 white shirts, 6 blue solid or end-on-end shirts and 2 blue striped shirts. Anything beyond white and blue is more for variety and because you like it more than being essential or necessary.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I considered both of those, but in the end I felt that they were not top 10 material. Maybe 15-20. Ymmv.

3. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

I'm interested in making all my future shirt convertible cuffs now =P

I imagine your first 10 shirts depend entirely on what other clothes you have... my first shirts were mostly poor choices in dark solid clubbing type shirts that I never wear. Oh well.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015

4. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Distinguished Member

Don't do it with the convertible cuffs Iso. They are neither fish nor fowl IMO.

5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Here are some of mine...others are dirty. Most of them get worn and a couple need to get tossed...lots of casual shirts too. I think I see 10 white, blue, and blue stripes in there. There is definitely more of those types ready for the wash too.

[​IMG]

6. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

^ Interesting, you seem to have more variety than I do:

[​IMG]

7. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Okay - I thought I would put a photo of all my shirts to see what you all think - which ones are keepers and which are throwers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to say that these are my best thirty - there's another thirty in the garage that even I consider revolting!

8. Murlsquirl

That's because a lot of those are worn casually without a jacket. I don't wear a jacket or suit but once a week, if that.

Jfrater, I would wear less than half of those with a jacket and tie. Not because the others are bad shirts, but because they should be worn casually.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Please note that he numbered the hangers.

This is how you Noodle.

(also note that the original Noodles, rather than Noodle properly, had picnic attacks and threatened to quilt, much to the merriment of all)

10. EliodA

@jfrater , from the first pic I'd ditch 9 (don't like the texture) and 10. The shirts in the other pics, I can only imagine them in casual fits. With the possible exception of #21.
    You really need some solid shirts, especially white. But then again, you probably knew that already.

11. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

I have one solid white (with french cuffs - bleurgh) and one solid blue. Believe me - they are on the "to buy" list.

When you say that the rest are casual - do you mean to be worn with odd jackets and ties, or with something else entirely? I wear ties every day.

12. Murlsquirl

I wouldn't wear the rest with ties, which I believe is what Elio meant as well.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

For suits/jackets: 1-9, then 24, 26, 27 on infrequent occasion

14. EliodA

Indeed, I meant I'd wear them without tie.

15. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

That's a lot of shirts, JFrater, and I'd say that the first eight are quite wearable with jackets/ties. Of the other racks, #20 and #26 also look pretty good. I like a lot of the others, but if you're going to pair jackets with gingham, I think they look great with no tie and jeans. This is not a combination I wear often, but those more comfortable straddling the conservative/casual line pull this look off quite successfully.

I just did laundry, so with one exception, here is my entire shirt rotation. I wear all but the second-from-right and the blue small PoW check with ties.

[​IMG]