Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

That's a great trouser Noodles, and in terms of service Epaulet is as reliable and forthcoming as HY is unpredictable. I wouldn't hesitate at all.

They hold the occasional sale, but Epaulet doesn't have a general discount for SF members.

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yup yup. Great pants.

4. LoKey

LoKey Senior member

Another +1 to Luxire for trousers.
    Mailing in a perfect pair to them (through their NJ address, I believe) is ideal. I didn't go this route. I was comfortable following their instructions for measurements and used a cheaper fabric as a trial. The first pair turned out nicely and helped me figure out next steps of dialing in the fit. 8 months later, I've made several small adjustments on subsequent orders (ranging from denim to tweeds) and while they're not perfect, each pair fits me as well as or better than trousers from Epaulet, HY, or Panta. The price is absolutely unbeatable and they have an impressive range of fabrics. The main downside is the start-up cost: patience and effort. This is partly due to a clunky website that's hard to navigate and the photos of fabrics aren't always accurate. However, when I have questions, I find that the Luxire thread and their customer service are generally helpful. I'll still purchase from the other SF affiliates when I see something I like (e.g. dark mocha flannel trousers are incoming from Epaulet), but except for suit trousers, my go to is now Luxire.

Recent cost comparison: I was considering Epaulet Walts donegal tweed trousers and the one I was eyeing was 235. Factor in an extra 25 or so for tailoring (cuffed hem) and it's at 260. I went with Luxire and got Molloy Sons' taupe tweed, 2 inch cuffs, side adjusters delivered to me in four weeks for 199. Very satisfied with the final product.

[​IMG]

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I use Luxire because no RTW brand offers what I like. I want a high rise, sitting at or very close to the natural waist, wider leg openings than 8-8.5", side adjusters (no belt loops), 2" cuffs and buttons for suspenders in te waistband, even though I rarely use them.

Most current RTW brands have low to medium rises, belt loops, small leg openings and, no dispenser buttons and not enough material available to hem them with 2" cuffs.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Okay, I have a very important j*b interview coming up.
    My first thought would be to wear my best suit. But that's the PoW. Would this be appropriate? It may be distracting.
    Also, is a Formosa appropriate? My concern is that interviewers will be distracted by its awesomeness, I mean the traditional styling.
    I am thinking the safe route is to go with something like a navy birdseye or a blue plaid. Nothing fancy.
    THoughts?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

7. Murlsquirl

I think I have 4 Luxire trousers and about 12 shirts. I don't use them very much anymore because I have good options from another vendor I really like, but Luxire is doing some pretty amazing things at amazing prices.

If any of you new guys decide to use them, send in your best fittings to replicate (with x adjustments). Ordering by your own measurements has a much higher rate of failure....been there, done that.

8. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Wear the navy birdeye. Then navy plaid if you have a second interview. Don't wear the PoW.

You really could use a grey sharkskin at some point. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Thanks!
    Don't get me started on another Formosa. [​IMG]

10. Murlsquirl

11. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

It doesn't have to be Formosa. It can be B&T. :devil:

Most importantly you know what to wear (no PS) so focus on actual interview prep. And good luck!

12. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Best of luck, Noodles! Don't even worry about what you'll wear--any of your navy suits will fit the bill.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

This.

Also, dont even consider not wearing a Formosa. I doubt the awesomeness of your suit will leave a bad taste in anyones mouth. More likely that all they notice is you are a well dressed nicely presented fellow, which can only work in your favor.

14. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Navy birdseye, Noodles. Good luck.