1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

i would shoot b. nelson or DFII a pm. they're really helpful with this regards.

2. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

Can someone point me in the right direction for starting a casual/business casual wardrobe? (chinos, fitted button ups, ocbds, etc)

Would like to spend as little as possible without getting poor quality clothing. Thanks [​IMG]

3. aglose

aglose Senior member

That was my fault. i asked for some advice about education and business and t spiraled from there.

4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I was just messin around, no need to apologize. :)

This thread offers good natured advice on all kinds of things.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

More information would help. How often do you plan to wear these clothes? Are you working in a specific industry? Do you know what your coworkers will be wearing? What is your actual maximum budget for shirts / trousers / etc. on a per item basis? What is your maximum total budget?

1 person likes this.
  6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Noodles thread is a mix of clothing advice, general advice on life, picnic attacks, soap opera and reality TV. It truly is a remarkable achievement. Sometimes I feel I'm here to give advice. Other times I feel I'm catching up on the latest episode.

3 people like this.
  7. mimo

mimo Senior member

Sooner or later, Bruce Jenner os going to be mentioned.

Then again, I only found out who he is two days ago.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Picnic attacks... Sounds violent.

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

You forgot plumbing.

10. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know, I'm starting this wardrobe essentially from scratch so sorry for any ignorance on my part.

Wear 3-5 times per week. Working in an IT building. Dress code is casual, co-workers wear from jeans and polo's to chinos and buttons ups/downs (have yet to see anyone in tie or sport coat, but that's probably because it's Florida and 93 degrees out).

No strict budget in mind, just looking for reasonably priced, quality clothing. As with most things, clothing has diminishing returns on cost, so I was hoping to get pointed towards that sweet spot on the curve. If I had to guess, I'd say $50-100per for a few shirts and $50-150per for a few trousers sounds reasonable, but this is what I'm mostly looking for advice on.

I've heard of Brooks Brothers, Land's End, and Charles Tyrwhitt (have a few of their dress shirts for use with my suit, but they seem a bit too formal for pairing with chinos) as places to watch for deals (looks like Land's End is doing a 25% promo currently). Also, was considering trying either itailor.com, mytailor.com, or moderntailor.com if you guys would recommend any of those.

I did just order some Allen Edmonds shoes/belts in merlot and tan if that helps at all.

Thank you for taking the time to help. [​IMG]

11. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

I had to google him, but wouldn't feel any distress if he failed to make it into this discussion.

How many season are there where you live?

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

FTFY

1 person likes this.
  13. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

2: Warm and hot, lol. [​IMG]
    It's bright and sunny year round, winters dip into the mid-high 60's on their worst days of the year (which you can count on one hand). Most of the year is mid 80's to mid 90's. However, I've lived here long enough that I can (and often do) wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts even in 90's. The heat doesn't bother me and I've never much been a fan of short pants or t-shirts outside of extremely casual environments.

14. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

So I won't claim to be more up to date than Wikipedia, but the entry I read specified that he would continue to use male gender pronouns until some time in the future.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sane, with your target prices, it shouldn't be difficult to find a wide variety of items to meet your needs. J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic, Lands End, Brooks, etc. will all have decent chinos and business casual shirts. Focus on fit. Stay away from excessively baggy or tight items.

You might actually want to ask this same question over in Streetwear & Denim for less mainstream suggestions which would be professional but offer a bit more character.

16. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

jcrew, uniqlo and brooks brothers are really good options when you catch them on sale.

if you want higher quality, there are many SF affiliates that offer great products at a reasonable price.

for shoes, AE is a great choice, especially in the US since you can try a variety of sizes and last shapes in-store.

1 person likes this.
  17. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I almost $hit my pants today. Went shopping and was supposed to go to just Zara but someone decided to take a detour to LV. The bag that this someone wanted was $4,400. This wud have been a 2nd bag from LV from that price range. Thank goodness I was able to yank her outta that store. But with that someone's bday looming next week, I might be doomed already.

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

You have fun with that. My wife flipped when I bought her a $300 purse....she said that was a crazy amount for a purse and returned it. :slayer:

4 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

My wife and I are both bargain hunters. We buy last season's stuff at highly reduced prices. That way we have enough money left that I can occasionally get her something like a diamond bracelet on a whim. She occasionally gets me guns. [​IMG]

20. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Geez, didn't even know LV can go that high. I thought 2k was as high as it goes for a typical bag. Most of their signature totes or whatever it's called is about one grand...

4 grand is pretty much chanel status....