1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Double post.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

edit: eh don't want to stir up trouble

3. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

The 7th is indeed most likely his covert commentary on Stalin's terror. Bear in mind that he had to thread carefully, his earlier opera had already almost cost him his life because Stalin considered the music unpatriotic. For something that sounds more like the devastation of the battle of Stalingrad, listen to symphony no 8. My personal favorite, btw.
    An interesting biography of Shostakovich is the book by Laurel Fay.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Get a phd in math from any top 100 school. It's going to be plenty challenging.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Don't know/or now care who you sent them to. Thing is if it ain't right send em back.

Then next time send them to some one real :D

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Any recommendations? This one was the universal recommendation across like 5 threads on SF.

7. Cleav

certainly, C & J do great work for me and others I know, however my standards may be lower than yours.

Thing is, if five threads on SF sanction quality work it doesn't matter if you ain't happy.

I would also enlist the help (PM) of @DWFII he knows his stuff :nodding:

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Cheers, Cleav! Does C&J accept non C&J shoes?

9. Cleav

Certainly do ol' friend

They've been doing my old dogs for years.

Worth a phone cal of course, I take repairs to Colmore Row and they send them down. Alternatively you could go direct to the FS

27 Perry Street, Northampton NN1 4HN

01604 631515

Best

Cleav

1 person likes this.
  10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thank you, much appreciated!

11. Cleav

A pleasure mate, I'd be interested to hear how you get on. I know the customer care you'll receive will be of the highest order :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  12. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Hey Monkeyface, anyway for more pictures? Or at different angles? How does the shoe look 6 inches away from the camera?

13. Cleav

Good shout

+ name and shame :smarmy:

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Compared to G&G, which is how the Carminas used to look. It might be hard to see on the pic, but I notice it when looking in the mirror. Cobbler is Mayfair cobblers.

[​IMG]

Also, the thread seems to be missing in two of the holes. The thread also comes in contact with the pavement when I walk. Is this going to hold up? I don't trust them to fix it, and I'd ather not fork over £100 for someone else to fix it. If it'll hold for a year I'll try my luck at another cobbler next time.

It seems crazy that in a city where so many people wear good shoes there isn't a single good cobbler. I believe a factory recraft costs £150 and takes around 2 months. Might as well replace the shoes altogether at that rate.

[​IMG]

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is your primary concern that the welt stitching is so visible from the top?

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yep, the extremely big and visible stitches, and the fact that some holes don't have a thread in it. I'd say those are equally important to me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's certainly not th best trimmed job I've ever seen. I'd take it back and tell them to clean it up.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gotcha. I don't know a ton about cobbling, but from the DWFII posts I've read, it seems that small, even stitches are hard to do. This is my concern about some sole work I want to get done. You really only find out how good someone is after they've had at your shoes.

19. AJL

AJL Senior member

update/minor epiphany: It dawned on me today that not only is the actual width of the armhole a factor, but also the width of the shoulders. The wider the shoulders the farther down the seam sits, and the lower the armhole drops below the underarm. Not exactly PhD material but there it is. I'm noticing this with shirts too (btw, has anyone noticed the difference in sizing with Port. Flannel shirts, between their BD and regular collared styles? The latter are trimmer in every respect, including the shoulder, which is causing me a bit of this underarm noise. This is based on a sample size of two of each style shirt). I like the look of nice trim shoulders, but not at the sacrifice of comfort.

20. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

This is awesome. Perfect selection. Glad this thread got re-railed before it was moved to Business and Education.

1 person likes this.