Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Is this better?

[​IMG]

Incidentally I don't actually have any light gray trousers. Can you guys suggest four pants fabrics from lucite that I should get made?

2. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I just got a look at jfrater's jacket in a full-fat pic on my computer. NOPE. Sorry, hoss, but that is an unlovely fabric IMO. Both pattern and texture leave much to be desired.

4. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

iso: I like the rusty tie better. Note how much better the combination looks with the jacket open. Try a paler blue for the shirt. I like the cream silk (?) hank with this jacket.

jfrater: The jacket's fabric doesn't look great, at least not in this context. Is it a raw silk? The shirt pattern isn't doing you any favors in this context, either. Plus one on the rumply trousers. I like the hank with that tie.

stitchy: Stop hating on the knittery

re button-downs, no one needs a button-down. Ever.[/quote

I think the jacket is wool - it doesn't say. Is there a thread that would help me know what jackets I need?

5. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Consider it gone. How's this? It's belvest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks guys.

Re Newcomer. Thanks! I agree with your comments, but I must say this (and other members on this thread have heard me ramble on this already): This is a personal choice in the sense that it is a personal personal choice as opposed to a personal aesthetic choice, but ignoring what people generally think looks good on most men, I prefer, for myself, a defined waisted and flared skirt, and a more feminine silhouette. The degree of this I want, and whether I can do this without obnoxious pulls and creases is something I plan on figuring out, but generally speaking that's something I want that I know a lot of people on SF don't, and that I'm not likely to change my mind on.

Obviously that doesn't mean I plan to ignore everyone and never less waist suppression, it just means my end goal will not be to create something with a different kind of silhouette but rather, to create that silhouette in a more elegant manner.

The blue shirt I was wearing actually was a small check design. Usually to pair shirts with SCs, instead of getting an OCBD I get the shirt more casual using slightly bolder checks and stripes:

[​IMG]

But this coat is so busy that I thought it was not possible. You know what I really wanted to wear? A linen shirt, but of course that makes supposedly no seasonal sense, though I wonder if it is since at one point all shirts were linen. Anyway that aside, I didn't have anything that isn't spread collar that's suitable color/patternwise so.. meh.

I do usually wear my SCs unbuttoned/buttoned based on mood situation. I guess I button when it's cold, unbutton indoors, that kind of thing? I do like to go tieless I've actually specifically tried to wear more ties because I go tieless so often and my tie game is, as you can see, very subpar.

7. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I love your jacket btw - where does one find something similar? Here's another option with a pochette: [​IMG]

8. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Thoughts on these jackets guys?

[​IMG]

9. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

All we can really judge from that picture is fabric and pattern, but I think the top tweed and the middle dark blue check could potentially be quite good. Lighter blue is a tough look that some folks (Claghorn) pull off really well, but it's not easy and I could not do it. The jacket on the far right is probably impossible to wear well.

10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

jf, top one looks promising indeed

What's the details?

11. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

I have seen a pic of clag in light blue and it looks great - not sure I'm ready to try that myself yet :) I'll see what I can do with the others. I definitely need light grey pants!

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

jfrater, the double windowpane is okay. For me it's in the no-man's land between suiting and jacketing. It's certainly a step up from the previous jacket, though. As for the five others, perhaps the pale blue for the spring and summer. The irregular herringbone is not to my taste, but I certainly wouldn't call it tasteless. The blue check is just okay. The red check, well, if I had 50 jackets, I'm not sure that would be among them. Sorry.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

***WARNING: This post includes subliminal advertising***

jstar, I think only the brown jacket is good. That pink jacket reminds me of the curtains in my living room. [​IMG]

14. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

It's cantarelli pure cashmere. Here's a closeup

[​IMG]

It's slightly warmer in color than the pic

15. Kira

Kira Senior member

@in stitches , I'm curious on why you don't plan on buying any off-white shirts.