Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I think that could have been Mrs.Noodles??? [​IMG]

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'm trying so hard to, but I really don't like solidish blue shirts that much. =/ Wearing one today is making me on edge. I like white/cream much better for plain shirts.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Iso, I'm having a hard time understanding your choices and tastes. I try to keep a pretty open mind, though, and accommodate folks with respect to their preferences. But your preferences are a little bit of a mystery to me (not a criticism of anything but my own inability to understand them).

Could you explain what it is about today's fit you felt is good or that you liked?

On an unrelated note, an off white shirt has been on my want list for a while, though I'd go for something in the direction of eggshell (cooler) than cream (warmer)

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Wow, cream?! Like this? (Screw the tie).
    Would this stand out less than a white shirt?
    [​IMG]

5. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I like that color for shirts.

Hm. It was a casual day out in the cold, so I put jeans and SC on, and I thought the tie fit the outfit in casual/countryness, but in retrospect a darker brown would've been better. I guess it's too busy to add another light color into the mix. I guess I picked the blueshirt because everyone says you're supposed to take blue with tweed instead of white idk.

In retrospect I would swap the tie for a brown knit and brown suede shoes, but everything else I thought was fine, and I am surprised it struck as a mystery. I guess actually the tie is a pretty big deal, and I don't like it at all really, but I like everything else assuming it's a dark brown wool or knit tie.

I think I'm still at the stage where I'm trying out all the pieces I have (the tie in this case) so I'm still partially putting together outfits centered on "how to make use of x" which is not a good starting point for coherent outfits but I thought would be useful for learning how to use my clothing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Somebody needs to tell HQ that there are some Americans who won't stand for this kind of crap...

[​IMG]

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Iso, I gave today's combo a thumb in one of these threads because I think you're trending positive. However... The jacket is just too tight. There's also too much waist suppression for my taste, but, well, that's a matter of taste. The skinnier lapels and skinny tie are okay with jeans, I guess. Short of alteration, you should wear the jacket open in that combination.

My opinion, YMMV, etc.

8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks. I actually wanted the lapels wider but the tailor made a mistake it's kind of annoying. Tailor said he'd compensate and give me a discount on future stuff, but I could ask him to remake the jacket I guess. I assume it's impossible to only fix the lapel width without major surgery.

I tried a red tie I got from Kent Wang. Any better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I actually kinda like that jacket and think it pairs well with jeans. I would probably have opted for a different tie and PS though. I think the PS is too sedate and formal-ish.

Iso, it seems that the main issues here are:
    -The fit of your jackets just isn't SF approved. They look like they're slim fit, which is fine since you're younger and relatively fit, but that isn't what people on here go for.
    -The lapels of this jacket are still narrow but I don't mind it since your frame is smaller and I think going much wider than the current width would be a bit much, a little wider would be better.
    -Some of your pairings don't really make much sense. The white denim the other day just didn't go with anything.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I like the fabric, but the only way to wear it with jeans is with a light blue OCBD and a knit tie or no tie. Your shirt fabric and collar, and tie are a bit too formal to be worn with jeans.

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks.

I don't actually own any button downs except for linen. I guess that's something to look into. I don't really like button downs especially in general.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Sidebar, I have no interest in owning any of the following.

1. Cream square

2. Cream/off-white/ecru shirt

3. Knit ties

As you were.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

You're no fun!

Also a sidebar.
    2014 Most Improved Award: @heldentenor
    He improved so much that he doesn't come here anymore.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

This makes absolutely no sense.

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Stitchy knows what's up.