Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

This, And don't forget knits.

2. aglose

aglose Senior member

Grey and navy are usually my go to suits. I own one brown but it doesn't fit and look as well as I'd like it to so it gets worn once every two or three weeks. I have yet to find a brand that fits me really well otr.

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a big fan of wool ties, but I'd still say start with the grenadines or even some neats if you are wearing suits. Work on seasonal versatility later (btw NMWA has calabrese and drake wool shepherds check for about 75 dollars each) Anyway after VAT and discount, ET grens are about 40 quid each. Plus 9 quid for shipping. So about 90 quid total. Good deal is say. Shaya has some nice beats to.

4. aglose

aglose Senior member

Do you have any pictures of the ET grenadines? Do the tips of the ties really appear that see through when paired against a white shirt?

5. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

@aglose

Having overhauled my tie collection relatively recently and collected some winners and losers along the way, my first five ties for CBD or a slightly more casual variant thereof would be:

1) brown grenadine
    2) burgundy wool challis or wool/silk blend
    3) navy neat/Macclesfield print
    4) rust ancient madder or grenadine
    5) forest green wool (maybe striped)

I'd take a look at Henry Carter, Shibumi, Kent Wang, and No Man Walks Alone for ideas. There are other options that are likely equally good, but I will vouch for those I've listed. Assuming a mix of navy suits/sportcoats, gray suits, and the occasional brown or non-navy blue sportcoat, these will yield a great deal of versatility while also producing distinct looks.

Good luck and enjoy the wardrobe building!

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Yes. Challis is a must. Hober solid silk reppes are also superb.

7. TweedyProf

I wrote a review in the ET thread. They are untipped and yes see through though it's a subtle thing. I don't mind that feature and no one has ever stopped me to say, hey I can see through the tip of the tie. Lots of people in the Hober thread get their ties untipped. But if deal breaker go with Hober and request tipped.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Interesting that you'd recommend these guys. I have purchased a few from them and they will just self destruct within 6 months. I will take pictures of them to backup my stmt. They are cheap and you're getting what you paid for them. My recommendation is to forgo Andrew's and go with Hober. For the price of 2 Andrew's you can get 1 Hober.

9. TweedyProf

@aglose

Here's the write-up on the ET gren. I was happy with them so will probably by the staple colors from ET.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/323233/...uk-official-affiliate-thread/765#post_7490661

You should know that Berg and Berg will be having a sale on their ties tomorrow (I believe, 30-50% off). I don't think I can recommend them though. @jrd617 had a bad experience with them, and although I have only one grenadine from them, I'm not sure it will hold up. Neats might be a better bet.

Others, perhaps Erik (@EFV ) might have more experience with them and can recommend them. The owners are nice folks.

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I plan on picking up a green tie from B&B.

Also, their knits tie a better knot than any other I've tried. Disappointed with my other tie from then though.

11. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

This Hober challis is one of my favorite ties.

[​IMG]

12. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

@Claghorn here are the ties you requested. As well as showing my favorite 20 (the ones photographed in small groups) I have also included my tie drawers so you can see the others I have purchased over the last three months - they obviously appeal a certain amount though much less than the top 20. I also included photos of the few sports coats I own at the moment (I have a few more coming).

I can photograph (if you think it worthwhile) my suits and shirts but if you can make suggestions based on the tie choices that's fine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jfrater/sets/72157650119453161

And these are my favorite fits:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jfrater/sets/72157650119620681

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Loud, complex patterns and textures (Tom Ford) make for wonderful ties to hold in the hand, but they tend to dominate an outfit, preventing the outfit from being really balanced. In your twenty fits, I don't recall seeing a really pronounced pattern. So subtle patterns and interesting solids is probably the direction you want to take with your future purchases.

I've marked what I think is worth putting into heavy rotation with a black dot, and others that are worth wearing with a red dot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Good work, Clags.

15. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

In image two are you suggesting the bottom row or just the charcoal in the middle?

I appreciate the assistance btw - thanks for the effort :)