1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

2. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

I guess my goals are just to dress very well everyday with a tie. I can wear anything I like as I work for myself and don't have clients. I would like to live more like the 40s or 50s when men always wore suits.

Do you think it worth (if at all possible) me getting my tailor to modernize the suit - it is awfully comfortable and I love wearing it. If so what would I need to get changed?

3. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Funnily enough I agree about the tie. I am on holiday and had packed everything before I read Vox's article about combining. Once I get home I will re-evaluate my combinations.

4. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Now I am going to have to find some examples of contrast that really look good. What do you think of this one - it's a detachable stiff collar

[​IMG]

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

:foo:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Noob obsevation:
    - jacket sleeve length should be shortened
    - something should be done for the collar gap
    - the jacket fit seems to boxy to me. Taking in abit around the waist may help
    - the pocket square looks lIke it is about to climb out

I mean, you look fine but we are nitpickinh here.

7. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

I didn't notice the collar gap! I'll get my tailor to do a bit of work on the jacket - asi said its a really comfortable suit that I'd like to keep wearing. Would you advise getting the trouser legs tapered slightly?

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

You're of an age that I don't think that is necessary. If you were in your early thirties, than I'd say yeah. When something looks good, it looks good in its context. The stuff that looks magnificent on @upr_crust may look silly on me (and I'm not just talking about Jorge, his Cuban pool boy).

I'm also not against white collared shirts in the right context.

At some point, would you mind taking a picture of your twenty favorite ties? Ties are just the place I like to start. It's actually how this thread started.

9. aglose

aglose Senior Member

Can I get in on this? It won't be for a few days since my ties are scattered in boxes, but I'd like to get some advice on good/bad/hard to pair ties.

10. jfrater

jfrater Senior Member

Is this in response to me? If so do you mean not to bother getting the tailor to alter the suit? How about the buttons at least?

Also I can photograph my favorite ties tomorrow when I get home from holiday :)

In terms of what I want overall - a google images search of "liverano" pretty much sums it up - I want to look elegant like those guys :)

11. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Yup!

I don't know that the tailor can alter the button placement. But I could be wrong. But I'm saying not to bother getting the trousers narrowed. They're fine for anyone over 40, and given your large chest, narrow trousers may end up causing you to look top heavy.

I think right now the trick is figuring out what you need to buy to achieve the looks you want and what you already have but need more confidence in using. Another useful practice is to go through the Composite thread, starting from the beginning, or wherever, though maybe not the last couple months, which have been sort of lackluster, and pick out 20 odd outfits that you really like and post them here. This will allow you, and us, to get a better idea of what you want outside of the very abstract "elegance." And I say use the Composite thread rather than a Google Image Search for Liverano because

a) these are real people with real restrictions and without professional or semi-professional photographers
    b) they are on this forum and can actually communicate with you about certain looks and pieces

12. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Though the famous Liverano silhouette is indeed very elegant, I have a feeling your body type — a prominent chest as a result of a long singing career, isn't it? — may be better off with a DB. The one you just posted may not particularly flatter you because it's too big and just looks dated, but I think a sharp cut DB would be perfect for you.
    Liverano does DB too, of course, and it's actually not all that bad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: solid advice from Claghorn!

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

That was one thing that I noticed but did not mention. Consider tapering the pants. If you do work on the jacket then might as well taper the pants.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Menswear Acquisition Syndrome.
    M.A.S.
    Looking at that Liverano DB has given me MAS. I think I will throw on some DBs this month.

15. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

It's gorgeous, isn't it? I wish I could wear DB but it just doesn't suit me. No matter what I try, I look like a wannabe maffia boss...