Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I guess he just means it's a little silly to spend all that money on cool bespoke clothes, but not taking 30 minutes and £30 to get a nice haircut every month. Hell, I work around 65 hours a week now, and I have plenty of time to get a haircut. I have friends who are pushing 80-100 hours, and (I'm assuming) they still manage to get a haircut every so often. You can wear the nicest clothes in the world, but if you don't take care of yourself it's all for naught.

Both long and short hair and everything in between can look good, as long as it's cut and styled correctly. Using the right products for your hairstyle can make a big difference as well. I must've tried at least 4 different pomades over time before I found the right one for my current hairstyle.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

2. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

Given the general PC tone of this forum and the "good natured" vibe this thread is supposed to have, I am surprised at the piling on regarding Isolation's haircut. Just yesterday I read a thread where a user politely suggested Don Cologne would look better if he were thinner and a poster immediately jumped to his defense. What business is it of anyone's how he wears his hair?
    He addressed it two pages ago, so why not leave it the fuck alone?

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

My haircuts until two years ago has always been either done by my father orb the cheapest place available so I certainly have no idea what I want yet, and I'm hoping to figure it out soon, and I think it's fair to say I need to fix what I have now and it's worth spending money on it, I just reject the idea that it's bad because it doesn't fit into the masculine norm.

Fwiw I welcome opinions on my hair so long as it's made with the understanding of what I'm interested in with my presentation. I'll get one soon and post photos and people's heir I like.

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Ianiceman has always been a bit harsh in his critiques, so no one should take that personally. Aside from him, I do think others meant it in a good natured way, even though it might not seem like that. After all, if we didn't care about you we wouldn't have offered advice and just ignored you.

I'm sure you'll find a haircut that suits you, and I can sympathize with that, having had nearly as many hairstyles as I'm years old.

5. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

[​IMG]

See what I did there?

6. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

SEE MY RESPONSES IN CAPS BELOW
    CLEARLY YOU ARE. YOU ARE ON A FORUM SOLICITING ADVICE FROM OTHER MEN, ENTITLED 'CLASSIC MENSWEAR' WHICH IS POPULATED ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY BY MEN, MOST OF WHOM ARE LOOKING TO IMPROVE THEIR APPEARANCE VIA DRESSING 'LIKE MEN', NOT LIKE MASAI TRIBESMEN OR GREEK PALACE GUARDS OR BHUDDIST PRIESTS, BUT LIKE TRADITIONAL WESTERN MEN. Anyway enough of all this. My intention was never to pile on, nor get into any negative shit with you but to offer 'take it or leave it' comments so I'll leave it there and won't harp on this any more. I think you're a decent fella and have taken my comments in good grace. Perhaps you're of the opinion like some on here that haircuts are not really part of the discussion, but I personally reject that view. That would be like me posting pics of a perfect bespoke suit made by Despos or Reevesie and wearing Crocs, saying 'don't comment on the shoes, wearing Crocs with a bespoke suit is my own personal take on menswear'. Any comments are going to come with an invisible footnote that no matter how good the suit looks, the whole appearance is ruined by the Crocs! I think there's a way for you to keep your hair long-ish, remain somewhat non-conformist and still maintain a background of near-classic well fitting menswear. EFV posted just a few pics of fellas who do likewise and I don't believe their barnet ever came into the discussion. Good luck!

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I'm self employed.

My point is I don't see how longer hair (mines neither that long nor actually like bieber's hair) is intrinsically opposed to tailored clothing.

Also no, I'm not, but I'm sure the subtlety of gender beyond the binary is not something you know or care about.

I've made it clear I'm aware what this forum is about, I don't know why you're pointing it out again. There's nothing wrong in wanting to dress in a traditional masculine way, and I wouldn't use my perspective in giving advice, to chide others to shun features just because they think it's not conforming to that aesthetic. I certainly do believe I can learn a lot from studying this aesthetic. I don't see how that means I have to want to dress like "men" the way you define it. I also study photos of well dressed women and people/styles of all kind.

I agree my hair needs better upkeep, whether more frequent trimming or use of product, I merely object to the commentary about "growing up" [into] a man stuff, or the idea that dressing in that way is the only way to be respectable, to be taken seriously. I think a person with body full of tattoos and piercings can be perfectly stylish, good looking and I'd take them seriously if their person and opinions are worth taking seriously. I'm not interested in being respectable because I dress in an affluent and respectable manner. I just happen to like nuance and aesthetics of tailored clothing and incorporate a lot of it into my wardrobe.

As for my hair I like the length to be honest, I think it's just way too thick and ends up in a big wad of hair, and that's why it ends up shaped that way, because of the thickness, but my hair grows very quickly which is the problem.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guys. In the end, this is a DH thread. Taking my DH prerogative to say no more discussion of Iso's hair. Gentle ribbing is in the spirit of the thread. But gentle ribbing doesn't extend past a single post, and it certainly shouldn't cause a poster to get defensive. C'mon guys. Makes me sad.

No mas folks. Let's be good natured.

Also, Iso, sans the silly hat, that's one of the best fits I've seen from you.

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

This might be the lowest point of this thread. Time to move forward.

Clags, are u ordering shirts from bntailor or Washington?

10. Claghorn

Washington. I feel no need for 200 dollar shirts ^_^

Have you decided for sure to get a jacket there, or still thinking of a suit?

11. Claghorn

Also, when was Seamasterlux with incontro?

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

First, thanks for stepping in and ending the discussion about Iso's hair.
    Then, a genuine question: why do so many here seem to be skimping on dress shirts while they are willing to shell out big $$$ for bespoke suits, handmade shoes and, ahem, vintage ties? As the clothing item that sits nearest to your body, I'd say get the most comfortable shirting fabric you can find and have shirts made that have at least the critical seams handsewn for some extra elasticity. Your skin will love you for it. Thoughts?

13. Claghorn

* people don't see much of your shirt. It's covered by jacket and tie

* shirts hit diminishing marginal returns much more quickly than jackets and shoes

* shirts probably won't last as long as either jacket or shoes

I've never had any discomfort due to shirt fabric. As long as it's 100% cotton, I've never really been able to tell the difference.

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Thanks guys. I'll come back with a haircut soon and have someone exclaim "you had a haircut???" I'm due course.

I'm sad you didn't like the hat, clags, it was the whole point of the outfit. (Well my spouse gave it me for Christmas so I thought I had to show it off at least once right?)

Seriously though, I didn't think people would like the trench coat. I actually have like 5 and wear them a lot in my more casual fits either as costs or just as a jacket, but I got the impression that it's not a really SF approved kind of thing, especially since everyone hates Burberry. Speaking generally, and kind of responding to what ianiceman said, I don't w very muchear the stuff I post on SF that often. I'm sure you all know sometimes, especially if you find have an office job, you're just not in the environment to dress that way, plus I'm interested in other modes of dress too, that's probably more fashiony or alternate, and I know it's not really the kind of thing people come here to discuss so I dont post about them.

So do you guys wear trenches? I never see them posted, and I can't imagine why. I like them both casually and as a rain-overcoat.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Having worn a range of different dress shirts, IMO the comfort differential is actually pretty minimal once you get to a certain point. For me a shirt from a decent cotton fabric that goes for $100 from Hemrajani is not that noticeably different from a $300 bespoke shirt with a slightly nicer fabric (much of the incremental cost in bespoke will be the labor and additional work). In addition, only a small sliver of my shirts is visible when I am wearing coat and tie so the aesthetic advantages of bespoke are much smaller for shirts (provided you get basic things like the collar and a few other key measurements right). Plus shirtings being much lighting than suitings or jacketings, there's a lot more benefit to a well constructed jacket that better allows freedom of movement than a shirt.

Shirts also tend to last less long than odd jackets or suits, so many may be less willing to invest as much on an item that is much more fragile and in a sense disposable. I am probably in that camp as well.